Author Topic: Game Stall  (Read 1422 times)

Cinnder

• Boss
Game Stall
« on: February 23, 2014, 03:12:57 PM »
Does anyone else find that when playing a single-player game that generally is meant to be played once (i.e. something heavy on plot) that you can be playing along, day after day, quite enjoying it and then suddenly you just don't feel like playing that particular game and you do other things instead for days?  Or if you do play on the computer, it's something more repeatable, like Civ or an MMO?  And then when you do finally feel like going back to the original game, you find that -- unbeknownst to you -- you had stopped about 9/10 of the way through, and your return date is usually the day you finish it?

I've had this happen to me on numerous games, most recently Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed Revelations, and the original Witcher.

Just wondering if I'm the only one to exhibit this strange inexplicable behaviour.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
Re: Game Stall
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 08:16:11 PM »
Quake (back when) did this to me.

I would play some, and it was too hard for me, as I am deathly badly coordinated for FPS and I couldn't get far, and it just seemed I was spinning my wheels on it.

However, I then had some damn burr in my buttocks (I think it was the left cheek, not sure, been a while) and I decided that I was GOING to finish that damn game.  And do it on Hard.  Because I am nothing but a masochist when I'm determined (see Brawling Humiliator in CoH) and Nightmare?  Yeah.  I knew that wasn't going to work.  Hard it is.

And I did it.  I just, every night, played through a level or two until I got it done.

Took *forever*.  Well it seemed like it.  But the 'Hell yeah!' I gave myself when I gibbed Shub? 

Totally awesome feeling.

And then I realized... it's over.  Aw.  Dammit.  Now what.

(Quake 2, and 3, of course.  Never finshed Quake 4, just... lost interest by then, CoH was out, and that was that.)

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 09:02:10 PM »
That's sort of what happened to me with Morrowind.  I played it like mad for a week or two, progressing slowly because I was wandering around exploring as much as actually doing what I was supposed to.

And then, one day, I just stopped playing it.  I simply didn't feel like playing it that day.  Or the next day.  Or the next day.  Or any day since.

I still want to finish it at some point (or, at least, finish the main quest), but the time is never "now".

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 12:49:15 AM »
I do this with almost every single game. However, I rarely come back to finish.

The only games I've "finished" are Dungeon Siege and DSII (I never got 100% completion on either one, but I did defeat the Big Bad at the end of both), plus games where you generally win the game in one sitting. If I'm playing a multi-session game I tend to give it a week or so and then I start fiddling around doing stupid stuff before finally dropping it (usually three-quarters or more complete). If I do come back to a dropped game, I tend to start all over instead of picking up where I left off, because my muscle memory has been lost. Then the vicious circle comes 'round again: a week later, fiddle fiddle, done.

Most of the games I've put hours and hours and hours into are open-ended or tinkering: the Sims (original, 2 *and* 3 - so many years of my life sunk into those games), Sim City and similar, Civ and similar, MMOs.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 02:19:19 AM »
For me, it happened with CoH. I reached a point where I was tired of "go to point A, beat people up; go to point B, beat people up...", so I ended up not playing for a couple of months. I would have really liked something different, like helping after a large-scale fire, earthquake or other disaster - you know, hands-on helping of the citizens, instead of just crime-fighting.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 09:05:07 AM »
I'm not talking about stopping because a game is too difficult or has gotten boring or repetitive (at least as not as far as I'm aware) though I certainly understand those and have been there.  I'm talking one day thinking, "Man, this is a great game!" and then the next day suddenly not feeling like playing anymore.  I think Thunder Glove and Aggelakis describe what is closest to my situation.

So, thanks!  Nice to know it's not just me.  Even nicer to know I don't have it nearly as bad as Agge does!

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 05:08:44 PM »
Sometimes I really hate my game-playing ADD, but squirrel!
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 09:52:48 PM »
Oh, that feeling.  Left for Dead.  Kinda... done with that.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 10:23:45 AM »
I'm with Aggelakis, I've got gaming ADD. LOL!

City of Heroes was the only game in recent memory. That I could play for hours on end.

Now I just switch back and forth between multiple games.