Author Topic: Senticon Costume Converter  (Read 19227 times)

Shenku

• Elite Boss
Re: Senticon Costume Converter
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 06:23:54 AM »
The rest of that post explains exactly how to do that.

It does, but for the less computer savvy, more specifically the command you need to type to navigate is "cd FolderNameHere", which only works if the folder directory you're currently in contains that folder. So in that example "c:\users\YourNameHere>" is essentially the same directory system that your normal Windows based "explorer" uses, except without a graphical interface for the folders and files.

So say your username on your computer is Kevin(using my own name for this example...), it would be "c:\users>" so you'd type "cd Kevin" to get to the "Kevin" folder("c:\users\Kevin>"), and to go to the desktop you'd type "cd Desktop" and it would change your directory to "c:\users\Kevin\Desktop>", and so on for each other folder. To go backwards to the previous folder it'd be "cd.." I believe(Just in case you go into the wrong folder or something...).

If you're still iffy on what you're doing, google search for "DOS commands" or something like that, since the Command Prompt is basically Microsoft DOS, and uses the exact same commands.

Jeeze... It must have been over 20 years now since my first computer, and I still remember how to use DOS... You young whipper snappers have it easy with your fancy Windows 8 and your giant flashy icons to click on... In my day, we had to navigate to every file/folder/game with commands like the ones above, and we LIKED it...

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 04:49:44 PM »
And Tony, is this by any chance one of those mysterious "things" the SCORE folks have been focusing on that would be very useful in a world of many small private servers?

Nope!  This was purely a Guy Perfect one-off.

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 07:20:27 PM »
COOL!!!!  Thanks, Guy!!

Um....now can someone remind me where I put all my Sentinel+ files...??   :-[

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 07:52:25 PM »
Whew, found them!

Regarding the failures, is there any way to make them show up like the non-compliant costumes that I did save to file before the game shut down?  You know, where the file loads for preview but says it won't let it go live because of the listed parts that fail?  At least then we would know what needs to be fixed.

EDIT: Huh, apparently that's not what the failures are, cuz I have plenty of costumes that converted fine from Sentinel+ that come up with the old "Failed to load because of these parts" error.  Now I'm confused.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 07:58:47 PM by Cinnder »

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 08:24:02 PM »
Jeeze... It must have been over 20 years now since my first computer, and I still remember how to use DOS... You young whipper snappers have it easy with your fancy Windows 8 and your giant flashy icons to click on... In my day, we had to navigate to every file/folder/game with commands like the ones above, and we LIKED it...
I use Total Commander every day. It's better than Windows Explorer in every imaginable way... and if you're used to CLI? It's totally supported. (aka: I LOVE moving through my HDD typing in the directory names from memory... yes, I'm weird like that)
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2014, 10:30:59 AM »
This is awesome to have, thank you

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2014, 01:42:47 AM »
It does, but for the less computer savvy, more specifically the command you need to type to navigate is "cd FolderNameHere", which only works if the folder directory you're currently in contains that folder. So in that example "c:\users\YourNameHere>" is essentially the same directory system that your normal Windows based "explorer" uses, except without a graphical interface for the folders and files.

So say your username on your computer is Kevin(using my own name for this example...), it would be "c:\users>" so you'd type "cd Kevin" to get to the "Kevin" folder("c:\users\Kevin>"), and to go to the desktop you'd type "cd Desktop" and it would change your directory to "c:\users\Kevin\Desktop>", and so on for each other folder. To go backwards to the previous folder it'd be "cd.." I believe(Just in case you go into the wrong folder or something...).

If you're still iffy on what you're doing, google search for "DOS commands" or something like that, since the Command Prompt is basically Microsoft DOS, and uses the exact same commands.

Ok...just so I know.   I open up the "command" from the "run" function on Windows?   That gets me the window called "C:\WINDOWS\system32\command.com"

I then see the line "C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1>" with a flashing cursor.   I tried to type "cd C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\CoH stuff" and it said "too many parameters - and"

I did just manage to get to the "desktop"...so it now says "C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI\DESKTOP>"

Tried to add "documents and settings" but can't navigate there.   I know zero about DOS so this isn't intuitive for me.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2014, 02:52:18 AM »
Put the path you're navigating to in quotes.

Code: [Select]
cd "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\CoH stuff"
Since your prompt looks like it's using short paths, it's not likely to do that for you automatically, and it isn't going to like spaces outside of the quotes.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2014, 04:52:43 AM »
Ok...just so I know.   I open up the "command" from the "run" function on Windows?   That gets me the window called "C:\WINDOWS\system32\command.com"

If you're using Run, type "cmd", not command. Command Prompt in the start menu also links to cmd.

command.com is the old 16-bit DOS compatibility shell, you don't want that. cmd.exe is the 64 or 32 bit native windows command interpreter. While some of the commands are inspired by DOS, it's not the same by any stretch of the imagination.

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2014, 04:53:30 AM »

Use "cmd" rather than "command". The COMMAND.COM file is an old compatibility shell from the early Windows days and was superseded by cmd.exe with the NT overhaul. cmd supports long filenames.

EDIT:
I had the idea first. Codewalker was just a preemptive copycat.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2014, 03:06:47 AM »
Thanks guys.   That got me on the right track.    Got to the right folder and put in:  java -jar senticon.jar all

It said "loading costume database..." so that's progress!

It took a few seconds then came up with: 

Exception in thread "main" java.lan.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

It then had a long list of things beginning with "at".

Nothing appeared in that folder though.   I'm assuming the "out of memory" thing was the problem.

Is that demorecord thing someone mentioned in another thread a better option?  I used it to get a file of one of my costumes but no idea what I would actually do with that.   :P

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2014, 03:31:05 AM »
any feedback on why some costumes fail and some dont.. weird a lot of my earliest simple costumes just didn't work for some reason... i wished they would load anyway and allow me to fix it manually..

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2014, 05:35:23 AM »
any feedback on why some costumes fail and some dont.. weird a lot of my earliest simple costumes just didn't work for some reason... i wished they would load anyway and allow me to fix it manually..
Most likely pieces moved around in their dropdown location, or got rid of entirely (e.g. when they implemented ears as a detail option, a few ear-specific head types [like elf ears] were removed).
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2014, 11:39:32 PM »
Thanks guys.   That got me on the right track.    Got to the right folder and put in:  java -jar senticon.jar all

It said "loading costume database..." so that's progress!

It took a few seconds then came up with: 

Exception in thread "main" java.lan.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

It then had a long list of things beginning with "at".

Nothing appeared in that folder though.   I'm assuming the "out of memory" thing was the problem.

Is that demorecord thing someone mentioned in another thread a better option?  I used it to get a file of one of my costumes but no idea what I would actually do with that.   :P

Try reinstalling java, and checking windows is up to date with service packs etc.

If that fails again, PM me, and I'll give you my mail to send the sentential files too & I'll send back the costumes file for you.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2014, 03:54:05 AM »
Try reinstalling java, and checking windows is up to date with service packs etc.

If that fails again, PM me, and I'll give you my mail to send the sentential files too & I'll send back the costumes file for you.
Thanks Ice...I'll try that and see what happens.

damienray

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2014, 01:03:33 PM »
This is fantastic! I've got just about every costume I ever created in CoH. Costume folder currently has 792 costume files! I really enjoyed toying with concepts and ideas. Thank you!!

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2014, 07:07:06 AM »
Thanks Ice...I'll try that and see what happens.
Did you find success?

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2014, 02:58:23 PM »
Did you find success?
I have to admit my eyes crossed and I gave up.    :(

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2014, 08:21:37 AM »
I have to admit my eyes crossed and I gave up.    :(

Okay, I will send you my email via PM (and anyone else that cant get it working).
If you can zip the costume files, that would save some time but it's really only going to take a few minutes to convert them for you.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2014, 04:40:20 AM »
Okay, I will send you my email via PM (and anyone else that cant get it working).
If you can zip the costume files, that would save some time but it's really only going to take a few minutes to convert them for you.
I just opened up Icon yesterday and noticed 5 costumes when I opened up the "load" button.   They must have come from my attempts to run the costume converter.   Not bad.

Only two of them are valid though...the others are missing costume pieces.