Author Topic: Lore AMA 2014  (Read 41506 times)

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
Re: Lore AMA 2014
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2014, 08:59:30 AM »
Add "Who was Jocas" to the 2015 Lore AMA list.

If memory serves, the Quills of Jocas was the Praetorian version of the Dagger of Jocas, and was recovered from the Praetorian version of the Shadow Shard (although that doesn't exactly make sense given what the Shadow Shard is) or a Praetorian analog to the Shadow Shard...

Wasn't Black Swan's story revised to make her Shadow Earth (pre-Going Rogue) origins linked to Night Ward with i23? For some reason, I was under the impression that was the case.

That said, the Night Ward story arc is one that left me with some definite questions all around that we might include in the next AMA, too. I'd have to review it again to clarify the questions I had (dangit, I miss our game), but in addition to the question of where and how Night Ward fit in connection with Shadow Earth, I think the other questions I didn't feel were adequately explained were:

What is the vortex that hovers above First/Night Wards exactly? It seemed to me initially to be connected with the weird merging of the two worlds, but IIRC there was dialogue during the Diabolique/Mot storyline that indicated that it was actually connected with that instead.

Also, it seemed to me that- given the dialogue and storyline- Black Swan was going to be the villainess behind the goings on in Night Ward (in the guise of the Black Queen), but that ended up being Serene instead, which really didn't seem possible considering the timeline involved (notably her seduction of Pendragon).

(As an aside, I always wondered why they had us visit Pocket D War Witch rather than Croatoa War Witch, but I suppose it was easier- travel wise- than either sending us to Croatoa or an instanced version of her island.)

There was something about Mercedes Sheldon's part in the story that bugged me, too, but I really can't recall offhand what. Something that didn't quite fit with her other storylines, IIRC.

Eskreema

• Lieutenant
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2014, 10:08:21 PM »
I know that the WW in pocket d is still alive and can be accessed by both heroes and villains.  I forgot if night ward was had both sides but that's my two guesses.  The spectral version in Croatoa is only the manifestation of the one that died (fighting Requiem I think).  But she is strong enough, born or at least has some ties to Croatoa, and Croatoa is weird enough to support her.

As I read it in the story bible, I though the formation of the shadow shard was a self-defense strategy because Rularuu was going to die if he didn't create a pocket dimension and fill it with shadows that he absorbed - like a vampire feeding on its own blood.  Let's say you vision of the the dagger and well power is correct.  If so, the wells represent bandwidths of power and there will always be a consistent amount of bandwidth in the multiverse.  The dagger cuts off access to it and the more attached to it you are (more reliant on it as your source of power and how much bandwidth you draw) the more you suffer when the connection is severed (we are likely also buffered since we are on the slow path - we inherently have greater tolerance and less withdrawal from spike-and-dip power fluctuations due to discipline).  Rularuu has to make his own dimension otherwise he will lose all the his connection, which persists through all dimensions.  He has his section of bandwidth, and in a desperate "better to reign in hell than serve in heaven" maneuver allows his reality to be sacrificed to spare the connection. 

I'd like to know of all possible dimensions how did portal corp get that one?

Could The antithesis is DJ Zero!?  He makes a pocket dimension Completely open and for the joy of all.  He would seem the most logical force to counter all Rularuu's negativity.
Global: Iron Smoke.  Boards: Kractis Sky. Server:  Champion.  Main:  Eskreema

I don't always get sucked into a jet engine and live to talk about it, but when I do I use the new ICD-10 V97.33XD code.  Because things like that need to be trended by your insurance company and your money!

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2014, 05:21:50 AM »
Could The antithesis is DJ Zero!?  He makes a pocket dimension Completely open and for the joy of all.  He would seem the most logical force to counter all Rularuu's negativity.

Could be a good role for him. Given the hints/text from the last Valentine's Day event and from Prometheus' speech (and, I believe, at least one AMA confirmation) he was the entity formerly known as Cupid among the Olympians who had actually become his own Well. It would have been cool to see some further development of him and his storyline in future installments (aside from just his more "generic" handing out of the Snaptooth event and hanging out as DJ in Pocket D.)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2014, 08:48:55 AM »
As I read it in the story bible, I though the formation of the shadow shard was a self-defense strategy because Rularuu was going to die if he didn't create a pocket dimension and fill it with shadows that he absorbed - like a vampire feeding on its own blood.  Let's say you vision of the the dagger and well power is correct.  If so, the wells represent bandwidths of power and there will always be a consistent amount of bandwidth in the multiverse.  The dagger cuts off access to it and the more attached to it you are (more reliant on it as your source of power and how much bandwidth you draw) the more you suffer when the connection is severed (we are likely also buffered since we are on the slow path - we inherently have greater tolerance and less withdrawal from spike-and-dip power fluctuations due to discipline).  Rularuu has to make his own dimension otherwise he will lose all the his connection, which persists through all dimensions.  He has his section of bandwidth, and in a desperate "better to reign in hell than serve in heaven" maneuver allows his reality to be sacrificed to spare the connection. 

The story bible (which may or may not have been canonical at the time of the shutdown - story lines after it was written could have superceded it in small parts, but I assume its reasonably close) states that the Shadow Shard was a magically created universe that was a shadow copy of Primal Earth's dimension, created by the Dagger of Jocas, and used as a decoy against Rularuu when he came to devour Primal Earth.  It was intended to be devoured by Rularuu and collapse during the process, destroying him.  Rularuu figured this out at the last instant and basically sacrificed a huge amount of his power to turn the shadow copy universe into a genuine dimension.  That way it would not collapse and take Rularuu with it.  But in the process he would be trapped within that dimension, with no obvious way to escape it, because he would have created a pocket dimension with no connections to our Primal Earth (does that sound familiar to anyone :) ).

However, although the process weakened Rularuu, by becoming the source of power of an entire cosmological dimension, in effect Rularuu has ascended to be a kind of Source.  He's an Ascended being of sorts, but weaker in absolute power due to his unique dimensional circumstances. In particular, if the Shadow Shard is a dimension created by the Dagger of Jocas from a tiny sliver of all the beings on Primal Earth (or a subset of them) then it should have a tenuous connection to our Source.  That, plus Rularuu's power which comes from a large number of consumed dimensions, makes him a kind of a unique composite being: indirectly a well-consumer like the Battalion, but also indirectly an ascended by virtue of being a form of well to the Shadow Shard.

I'd like to know of all possible dimensions how did portal corp get that one?

The story bible suggests that there are not an infinite number of dimensions, but just a huge number of them separated by some threshold of difference.  Two dimensions that differ by only a tiny amount of changes tend to collapse into a single dimension representing both: to remain stable independent dimensions requires a significant difference in the timelines.  Dimensional travel tends to land on closer, rather than farther dimensions, based on the degree of difference.  For Primal Earth specifically, alone among most other dimensions, I think we can reach the Shadow Shard more easily than one might think because its a Shadow of Primal Earth specifically: its connection to Primal Earth via its creation through the Dagger of Jocas makes it "reachable" far more easily than it ought to be, and would be from any other dimension.  In fact, by finding a way to the Shadow Shard, we had inadvertently presented a potential escape route for Rularuu that he himself could not have accessed without us.  Oops.

Incidentally, I don't know who originally thought up that theory of cosmology for CoH, but hats off to them.  Its basically the theory I reverse engineered as making the most sense given CoH's alternate dimension stories.  It explains why so many of the dimensions we visit are either evil-goatee dimensions or world-gone-wrong dimensions.  There simply aren't any dimensions where everything is the same except the Golden Gate Bridge is the Azure Gate Bridge, and dimensions where people are yellow, have five arms and speak by chirping are just too far away for Portal Corp to easily reach and travel to.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2014, 03:03:35 PM »
because he would have created a pocket dimension with no connections to our Primal Earth (does that sound familiar to anyone :) ).

...no? Should it sound familiar? It's been a while since I read The Immortal Game (and I'm not sure I finished it at the time, sorry :X ) so is that why it should?
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2014, 07:26:09 PM »
...no? Should it sound familiar? It's been a while since I read The Immortal Game (and I'm not sure I finished it at the time, sorry :X ) so is that why it should?
Without having access to the story bible version of Rularuu at the time, that's almost exactly what I envisioned as the Dream Doctor's defense strategy for Primal Earth, explicitly using the power of Rularuu combined with our Well via Emperor Cole.  Only in my version, and in keeping with the fact the game was going to be shutdown, Primal Earth ends up in a pocket universe as well, unreachable from the outside (except for potentially one way).

The only thing I didn't do was involve the Dagger of Jocas: too many moving parts to go into precise details given the time allowed, and I didn't know how the Dagger was used against Rularuu at the time.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2014, 04:40:36 PM »
I've made a pretty good start at sorting the AMA questions into topics. Please go to the page here: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted and discuss feedback in its talk page.

I'm copy / pasting all the questions into their own little sections on that page, so they can be easily linked from the topics table.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Eskreema

• Lieutenant
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2015, 03:57:42 PM »
Very nice ordering of the QA. Thank you very much for that.

Any word on AMA 2015? if not I'll was going to start a thread.

I'll give this bump a bit for folks to mull over and see if there is a thread I'm missing, but I didn't find one.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 04:03:09 PM by Eskreema »
Global: Iron Smoke.  Boards: Kractis Sky. Server:  Champion.  Main:  Eskreema

I don't always get sucked into a jet engine and live to talk about it, but when I do I use the new ICD-10 V97.33XD code.  Because things like that need to be trended by your insurance company and your money!

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2015, 09:27:57 PM »
As far as I know, there is no thread yet. My plan was to finish cleaning up the Sorted version of the AMA on the wiki, and then present it as part of a new 2015 thread. But you're welcome to start one yourself!