Author Topic: Lore AMA 2014  (Read 41440 times)

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
Re: Lore AMA 2014 Questions - Please Read OP!
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2014, 03:12:37 PM »
I've got one more - when the 5th Column returned, during some of their street fights with the Council, a 5th Column soldier would sometimes unfavorably compare the Council's base on Striga with their own secret base, which they claimed was in the heart of the city - where was it located, and was it going to play a role in any future content?
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2014, 02:08:21 AM »
I can't recall offhand, but was it ever stated what the differences were between Mender Silos' and Mender Ramiel's viewpoints? I know the Mender Silos thing was discussed previously, but was Ramiel's story just that he was ideologically opposed to Silos' ultimate plans, or did he have some specific plans of his own that caused him to put the heroes onto the Incarnate path?

IIRC, Ramiel mentions being sent back as an agent or something? Was he working for the Dimensionless?

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2014, 08:46:06 AM »
I can't recall offhand, but was it ever stated what the differences were between Mender Silos' and Mender Ramiel's viewpoints? I know the Mender Silos thing was discussed previously, but was Ramiel's story just that he was ideologically opposed to Silos' ultimate plans, or did he have some specific plans of his own that caused him to put the heroes onto the Incarnate path?

IIRC, Ramiel mentions being sent back as an agent or something? Was he working for the Dimensionless?
Someone should create a flowchart or something, because even I can't keep it all straight.  The Dream Doctor opposed Silos because he knew Silos was Nemesis and didn't trust him.  The Dream Doctor seeks to destroy Rularuu, who is a near-ascended version of himself assembled across many dimensions.  Silos was Nemesis from the far future who saw the ultimate result of the Coming Storm and decided to come back and try to stop it.  Silos is the only Mender that can break the carbon barrier and lead the Menders using information from the far future because as Nemesis he figured out how to transfer his mind into new bodies: doing so allowed him to come back as far as he wanted to.  Ramiel seems to know more about the Well of the Furies than Silos and believes putting humans on the slow path to Incarnate power is the key to stopping the Coming Storm.  Prometheus believes the Battalion will overpower any champion of the Well and wants humans to overcome the Well's inclination to empower Cole.  Cole believes that achieving ultimate empowerment from the Well will allow him to bring order to his own Earth, defeat Hamidon, and eventually stop the coming storm.  Tesseract is a former agent of the Battalion somehow convinced to stop the Coming Storm.  Twilight's Son is the last of the Kheldians that were used to power the Battalion space fleets, and a symbol of what becomes of all races that oppose the Battalion.  The Battalion are one of the few powerful races in the galaxy capable of planetary invasions across galactic distances, and they consume the potential of races in effect consuming their Wells of potential.  The Rikti induced to attack Earth were tricked by Nemesis to doing so, hoping to soften Earth up for his eventual take over.  Those Rikti aren't the true Rikti, but humans from another dimension engineered to mimic the true Rikti.  The true Rikti are a space faring race potentially more powerful than the Battalion.  And then there's the dimensionless.

I need an aspirin.

Arc-Mage

• Underling
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2014, 11:00:51 PM »
Someone should create a flowchart or something, because even I can't keep it all straight.  The Dream Doctor opposed Silos because he knew Silos was Nemesis and didn't trust him.  The Dream Doctor seeks to destroy Rularuu, who is a near-ascended version of himself assembled across many dimensions.  Silos was Nemesis from the far future who saw the ultimate result of the Coming Storm and decided to come back and try to stop it.  Silos is the only Mender that can break the carbon barrier and lead the Menders using information from the far future because as Nemesis he figured out how to transfer his mind into new bodies: doing so allowed him to come back as far as he wanted to.  Ramiel seems to know more about the Well of the Furies than Silos and believes putting humans on the slow path to Incarnate power is the key to stopping the Coming Storm.  Prometheus believes the Battalion will overpower any champion of the Well and wants humans to overcome the Well's inclination to empower Cole.  Cole believes that achieving ultimate empowerment from the Well will allow him to bring order to his own Earth, defeat Hamidon, and eventually stop the coming storm.  Tesseract is a former agent of the Battalion somehow convinced to stop the Coming Storm.  Twilight's Son is the last of the Kheldians that were used to power the Battalion space fleets, and a symbol of what becomes of all races that oppose the Battalion.  The Battalion are one of the few powerful races in the galaxy capable of planetary invasions across galactic distances, and they consume the potential of races in effect consuming their Wells of potential.  The Rikti induced to attack Earth were tricked by Nemesis to doing so, hoping to soften Earth up for his eventual take over.  Those Rikti aren't the true Rikti, but humans from another dimension engineered to mimic the true Rikti.  The true Rikti are a space faring race potentially more powerful than the Battalion.  And then there's the dimensionless.

I need an aspirin.

BPE (Best Post Ever) ;D
Sometimes you just gotta say; The laws of time and space...who gives a smeg.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2014, 03:17:07 AM »
So I don't get on Twitter much, but I did peruse Positron's posts and didn't see much... did anyone happen to see anything anywhere indicating anything official from him about this year's AMA?
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2014, 05:30:18 AM »
I haven't seen anything yet.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2014, 05:21:29 PM »
Posi's AMA Google doc is up.

Look at the date on this post. As per the short window mentioned in the OP, you have 24 hours to get your questions in.

Link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ocOo69mXIQ8HthabNe1F4X1EcZcSDwZFEE9sT8WSBc4/edit?usp=sharing

Get crackin'.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
Re: Lore AMA 2014 Questions OFFICIAL DOC IS UP
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2014, 08:14:11 PM »
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
Re: OFFICIAL DOC IS UP Lore AMA 2014 Questions
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2014, 12:12:27 AM »
As a side note, it was fun seeing all the animals Google uses to note anonymous editors on a google doc when there was thirty people looking at it. I saw an ifrit! (amongst others)

Edit: DUDE WHAT there is an anonymous nyan cat! That is silly.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 06:14:43 AM by Felderburg »

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
Re: OFFICIAL DOC IS UP Lore AMA 2014 Questions
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2014, 03:09:46 PM »
I made a copy of the questions a little bit before the deadline: https://docs.google.com/document/d/155aXZStUUjXxRfn_v5mMjjsh60Jdz-maIwmUct73LFY/edit#heading=h.yul06fnzfa3k

Less than an hour!

According to the doc... on twitter the time was an hour later than what the doc says, so go with the least time left, and if there's a bonus, great!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 03:59:51 PM by Felderburg »

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
Re: Lore AMA 2014
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2014, 07:56:01 PM »
Per a tweet from Positron, every question in the doc has an answer! https://twitter.com/MMODesigner/status/458994112230727680

Quote from: @MMODesigner
Looked over the #CityOfHeroes Lore AMA for 2014. All questions have an answer (some even have good ones!) Doc goes live 4/28!

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2014, 02:09:51 AM »
All this tasty, tasty lore ...

I'd forgotten to put the question about Lady Grey and Mender Tesseract on there, as this semester's been demanding of my time. Maybe someone else put it up though. And if not, well, the amount of speculation over it here was a stasifactory answer anyway.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2014, 09:18:48 PM »
I copied some of the questions from this thread over to the doc (the OP has a copy of the doc 7 minutes before closing). I don't think I copied that one, and looking over the thread I missed at least one or two more (not counting several that had already been asked).

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2014, 05:06:12 AM »
Something else that popped into my mind just now that I wish I had thought of earlier. I guess it'll have to wait till AMA 2015 if it's still going by then.

How much of human civilization was left in Praetorian Earth? We get brief mentions of Japan during the Praetorian arcs, and later during its fall Hamidon's infected humans mention overrunning other countries like Germany.

Related to that, what sort of presence did the IDF have globally on Praetorian Earth outside of Lambda Sector? We see fighter jets and attack helicopters in Praetorian warehouses ... so what sort of regular Army, Navy, Air Force, space assets outside of Anti-Matter's station, and so on did the IDF have? Did they reuse any existing/surviving military bases once owned by national governments, or had all of those been overrun and reverted to untamed wilds by the Devouring Earth? For any bases they did have, did they have to put up sonic fencing to protect their holdings from the Hamidon?

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2014, 03:32:32 PM »

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2014, 02:56:56 AM »
Still going through this, and as ever, enjoying hearing the lore secrets, but one thing that strikes me- and  hopefully we can do a better job of this next year- is seeing so many questions that have been answered in previous lore AMAs.

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2014, 03:21:08 AM »
How much of human civilization was left in Praetorian Earth? We get brief mentions of Japan during the Praetorian arcs, and later during its fall Hamidon's infected humans mention overrunning other countries like Germany.

Don't know if you played the i24 beta or not, but there is some followup on this there, with the hero saving some of the Praetorians the Hamidon attack on the main settlement, as well as helping a different settlement survive the Hamidon's attacks and begin to regain its footing (with a little help from one of the Praetorians themselves, as well as an old/new friend from a couple of story arcs there).

Interesting to note that in a couple of answers in this Lore AMA, the designers mention originally wanting to include post-20 content in Praetoria (including a 40+ visit to Neo-Tokyo), but that they opted against it due to community protests against Praetorian content.

Which makes me sad, because IMO, the Going Rogue Praetorian content was the best in the game (and I really would have loved to have seen much more done with the gigantic First Ward zone that was just begging for- at the very least- an extension of the Loyalist/Resistance content). I do see their point, in terms of resource management, though.

Related to that, what sort of presence did the IDF have globally on Praetorian Earth outside of Lambda Sector? We see fighter jets and attack helicopters in Praetorian warehouses ... so what sort of regular Army, Navy, Air Force, space assets outside of Anti-Matter's station, and so on did the IDF have? Did they reuse any existing/surviving military bases once owned by national governments, or had all of those been overrun and reverted to untamed wilds by the Devouring Earth? For any bases they did have, did they have to put up sonic fencing to protect their holdings from the Hamidon?
[/quote]

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2014, 04:41:24 AM »
Still going through this, and as ever, enjoying hearing the lore secrets, but one thing that strikes me- and  hopefully we can do a better job of this next year- is seeing so many questions that have been answered in previous lore AMAs.

Well, it seemed like some of the askers hadn't seen this thread, but I didn't see all that many repeat questions.

Definitely WAY more detail this year on the nature of the Wells and the beings behind them - I was simultaneously more informed and more confused after reading that.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2014, 07:37:24 AM »
Well, it seemed like some of the askers hadn't seen this thread, but I didn't see all that many repeat questions.

Definitely WAY more detail this year on the nature of the Wells and the beings behind them - I was simultaneously more informed and more confused after reading that.

In part because some of the information given in this AMA contradicts or incompletely meshes with information given in previous AMAs.  Natural, because we're talking about backstory elements that were not locked in solidly by the devs because they did not yet reference live content, and because different devs had different ideas or hearsay information about the backstory, and because by Matt's own admission he was always open to bending or even breaking prior backstory to accommodate new content ideas.

Honestly, though, the information given by Baryonyx in this AMA is significantly more coherent, and in many ways in my opinion more likely to make contact with future content, than any prior information that we've been given that isn't consistent with it, to the point where I think that's the closest thing to canonical we're likely to get.  Its more consistent with in-game information, and has the right set of game-design cut-outs in my judgment.

Actually, that, plus the in-game information, plus some fill-in from other AMAs that are consistent with it, provide a pretty clear picture for me of the "origin of power" aka the Source backstory.  I wish I knew that back in 2011.  There's still some glitches here and there (particularly, the notion that the Wells are transformed representational entities is fuzzy), but I like it.  At least, a lot better than anything else so far.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2014, 06:06:38 PM »
Yeah, it's weird because it almost seems like each Well is a being, that has underlings, but can also bestow its power somehow...

I'm working on sorting all the AMA questions at http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted . I'm planning on putting a bunch of tables with the topics to link to questions. The topics I've sort of mapped out are here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C2D1sUxH-8oEu4j95SzSXJcu6JujYYoS5DMvAkjl43w/edit#gid=0