Author Topic: Playing around with CoH "Art"  (Read 3389 times)

blueicemaiden

• Underling
Playing around with CoH "Art"
« on: January 31, 2014, 03:38:57 PM »
I'm pretty new to the world of actually inking and coloring digitally. In fact, I never did it on paper either. I'm more of a print magazine layout kind of "designer" - as I've done that for almost a decade now.

That being said, I like the idea of taking screenshots and inking lines and coloring them. It's a lot more time consuming than I'd originally thought, so kudos to those of you who rock it.

Here's my very first attempt (work in progress - lots to be done). I'm using a screenie from Icon. She'll eventuall have a completed right foot and an energy blast coming from her hand (sniper blast).

Meet Blue Jaye an Empathy/Energy Defender on Justice. She was my first character on CoH. So I thought it would be appropriate to make her my first attempt at "drawing digitally" - I'm using inkscape and illustrator.

Constructive critique welcomed as this is my first go round! Keeping in mind I'm still working.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
Re: Playing around with CoH "Art"
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 03:29:49 AM »
Nice, it looks good for you first try.

What's coming off her back? Is it a cape or something?

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 02:46:54 PM »
 That's really nice looking -- also a sad reminder of how well-animated the game was.  Such  a feeling of gravity and energy.
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 03:07:22 PM »
very nice work, I'm new to using computer art programs myself too, but I'd say that your progressing pretty well for someone who's completely new to it.
Also not sure what art program you use, but if you feel like trying some more freehand art pieces GIMP would be a good one to get, its free too. :)

blueicemaiden

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 06:06:34 PM »
Nice, it looks good for you first try.

What's coming off her back? Is it a cape or something?

Thanks! Yes! Forgot to mention that will be a long cape, I just hadn't gotten to it yet. Maybe this week, I'll ink and color it.

blueicemaiden

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 06:07:19 PM »
That's really nice looking -- also a sad reminder of how well-animated the game was.  Such  a feeling of gravity and energy.

Thank you! I've done a little more work and trying to capture the "blast" of the Sniper Blast (Energy) is proving a challenge! I'll post an update this week.

blueicemaiden

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 06:08:37 PM »
very nice work, I'm new to using computer art programs myself too, but I'd say that your progressing pretty well for someone who's completely new to it.
Also not sure what art program you use, but if you feel like trying some more freehand art pieces GIMP would be a good one to get, its free too. :)

I've done a bit of computer art, but none along this line. I actually really enjoy it so far. Everything I've done so far would be - start to finish - only an hour or 2 of work til final product. This is proving to require a WHOLE LOT more patience!