Author Topic: Sleepy Hollow  (Read 3237 times)

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
Sleepy Hollow
« on: September 18, 2013, 12:23:27 AM »
Just watched it on Comcast's On Demand.

I liked it enough that I'll continue to watch it.  :)

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
Re: Sleepy Hollow
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 02:28:45 AM »
Same. Not too serious, not too corny. Somewhere in the middle.

There was some good acting, and some awkward pacing, but I'm sure the protagonists will find their character and chemistry.

It's on FOX, but hopefully we'll get at least a season before they arbitrarily cancel it.

The camera work was very impressive for TV.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 05:16:43 AM »
I thought it was good.  The paranoia level is nicely high.  For instance were the folks at the asylum were simply trying to sedate him or sedate him permanently?  The Priest who chain bend before losing his head merely a 250 year doppelganger of his 10 generation ago relative or something more, besides the ability to chain bend.  Anyone catch the rider on the horse crossing sign get decapitated?

So he's a former historian of his time so give him an iPad/Nexus 7, teach him how to use a browser and point him to Wikipedia for a week to get him somewhat up to speed on the world.  You know at some point they will try to have him drive a car.  And expect a quip or two if he ever watches primetime TV.  We already got the request Starbucks joke.  Next week previews show the "guns can fire more than one bullet" joke.

At least this time UK actors aren't trying to speak with an American accent (looking at you The Walking Dead).

He's a time skipping Revolutionary War spy, she's a cop who sees demons and together they try to stop the Apocalypse.  Monday nights on Fox.  :)
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 11:32:29 AM »

I watched last night's episode. I thought some of the special effects were pretty good for a television show.

I do wonder if we're ever going to see Ichabod in a change of clothing though. :D

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 02:05:45 PM »
Nah, let him keep his look. It gives him a 'The Doctor' vibe. It's nice to have a hero who relies more on brains and cleverness but is still able to hold his own in a fight.

I am liking this show. As said earlier, it's not too serious and not too corny, which gives it a good adventure series feel. It's a nice mix of history/magic/mythology. In fact, for those of you playing Secret world, this series fits nicely with that game. I think I'll be sticking with this show for a while until (if) it starts going too same old/same/old.

BTW - nice inside joke in the first episode for anyone familiar with Clancy Brown's career.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 03:52:46 PM »
I watches the rebroadcast of the premier on sunday. It's not bad but; well acted, high production values (which almost certainly means it will be canceled by the end of october for expense) tight writing, but... I feel like they may have aimed just a bit too high with the
Spoiler for Hidden:
four horsemen of the apocalypse
as the antagonist. And that thought keeps me from really enjoying it as much as I otherwise could.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 04:40:44 AM »
I watches the rebroadcast of the premier on sunday. It's not bad but; well acted, high production values (which almost certainly means it will be canceled by the end of october for expense) tight writing, but... I feel like they may have aimed just a bit too high with the
Spoiler for Hidden:
four horsemen of the apocalypse
as the antagonist. And that thought keeps me from really enjoying it as much as I otherwise could.

Well it's not entirely about them, just stopping those that are trying to kickstart the process. 

So who thinks the dead records room in the clock tower is going to be their "Batcave".

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 02:07:32 AM »
Well it's not entirely about them, just stopping those that are trying to kickstart the process. 

So who thinks the dead records room in the clock tower is going to be their "Batcave".

Looks like you called it dead on, Father X.  ;D

I am still liking the show.

I am seeing a risk of the show collapsing under its own lore if they aren't careful, though.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 02:06:25 AM »

Still liking the show.

I do like that we seem to have a nice progression ... we aren't seeing much momentum from our heroes but we are learning things about what's going on.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 09:13:41 PM »
The stars have chemistry, but I found last night's episode ... implausible.

Still watching it.  ;D

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 03:02:22 AM »
Okay. Nice reveal on the Horseman. Which makes sense, actually.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 08:33:29 PM »
Agree with Chaos, i was flashing by on my way to tune in Castle and caught the big reveal... this show seems bound and determined to over-reach in its plot twists
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 10:55:01 PM »
io9's POV with Sleepy Hollow is if you are going to go with a crazy premise, go full throttle.  They think Dracula is similar in that regard.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 07:50:16 PM »
Random note:  I have never heard of such a thing before, but thanks to this show, I now know what a glass harmonica is.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 12:14:16 AM »
Random note:  I have never heard of such a thing before, but thanks to this show, I now know what a glass harmonica is.

Have to thank Ben Franklin for that.  I think he invented it to annoy the French.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 04:30:21 AM by FatherXmas »

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2013, 03:25:57 AM »
Half to thank Ben Franklin for that.  I think he invented it to annoy the French.
Seems as good a reason as any.  ;)
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 03:01:50 AM »
Tonight's episode was pretty good, though I do find myself wondering if
Spoiler for Hidden:
Jeremy
will prove to be in a kind of mystical suspended animation rather than actually dead.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 03:03:33 AM »

All things considered, I thought the Season Finale for Sleepy Hollow held up well as such things go.

We'll have to see how they do in the fall to resolve it.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 07:40:08 AM »
Did not see that coming.

I do love watching John Noble on TV.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin