Author Topic: Why play AT's?  (Read 2026 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Why play AT's?
« on: January 06, 2014, 03:41:35 PM »
Using the data we have up until now... My calculations tell me that by the time I get around to my 3rd FF build, Todogut will have played every AT in CO.

If he ever decides to go FF he'll have used ~ every power in the game, played a lot of different roles, and have that as his guide.

We've mentioned other reasons before. This one just keeps popping into my head lately. I was even leveling toons on a second account before I started my first FF.

BEWARE!

: )

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: Why play AT's?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 01:37:35 AM »
I see it as building a house vs buying one already made.

With building a house sometimes things that look good on paper and look like a must have feature end up being something one wished they never put in. Or sometimes building a house allows creative minds to have a home the way they want to that fits them exactly in what they are looking for in a home.

Buying one already made, it's done easier, may not fit like a custom made glove, and be missing some things that one wished they had or want to have, but less hassle than building one. It may not be the best uber home but usually not the worse and sometimes better than what a person can build and design on their own.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 03:02:12 AM »
With an AT all I have to do is pick the right AT for what mood I'm in vs. having to pick the right Everything.

With a FF I get lost in all the choices even when I have it in my head at the start what I want to do. So, I don't know what to imagine my toon will look like or what his name will be until I finally decide what direction I'm going to go.. And then I may play with the build I finally decide on for awhile and decide to go a whole other route and so now my costume and name may or may not work anymore... AYIII!

Before, I'd much more easily crank out an AT, being unencumbered with all these choices and decisions. I still play them when I'm in the mood for what they are good at. You have to tweak/get into your AT's to get the most out of them. For example, my Inferno is a rice paper cannon but if you hold him up he'll burn the place down satisfyingly, and proper. I still use my AT's for a guide on how gear works in different situations, too. F/x by checking Xev, I knew that Kos had to have 4k+ bubbles and how to get them.

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 01:32:25 PM »
My problem is that none of the ATs cater precisely to whatever mood I'm in.  Usually right off the bat they have a power which I wouldn't have selected.  I just couldn't stand to use them.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

wyldhunt

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 02:29:29 PM »
Being an ancient DM (started in 1979), and old Champions PnP (3rd-4th ed) GM and player, I actually like the minigame of creating builds, and since I've returned to CO as a sub, I do prefer FF. However, I completely understand the draw of ATs for others.
Wyldhunt
Guardianite since I2
Playing as Wyldhaunt on Rebirth

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 03:02:32 PM »
I do prefer FF. However, I completely understand the draw of ATs for others.

This.

Well, and, even if you stop playing them they can be a wealth of knowledge. I check back on mine all the time to see how gear and SS & spec choices work together and what the results are.

When first starting CO ~everything~ is new. AT's can at least get you a headstart jump into the game. I think had my first toon been a FF 1) it would have taken me a month to build and 2) it probly would have sucked due to I was totally new to all the game mechanics.

I'm hooked on FF's now but when I was all AT I was a leveling macheen! See, I more than 'like' the minigame of creating builds. I get lost in it. I'm not kidding - by the time I get to my 3rd FF I bet Todo has used darn near every power and role in the game! And not just passingly. lol he's playing more too while I have my nose buried in the PH and Wiki.

This is noteworthy to me  : )

I'm not trying to sell AT slots. Just some thoughts that rolled around in my head and wanted out.

AT's can be better or worse depending on who is playing them, too. I have a (subbed) person in Friend's that says his Unleashed is ruined (since the Unleashed nerf) while mine still tanks all Alerts but Gravi. It's just more work now... Like it was before I better knew how builds work so I didn't give him any dodge.
Some Faves:

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 07:57:46 PM »
The content I'd be making would probably make most if not all archtypes unviable if the foundary comes out.  Partly because i'll be implementing anti-holy trinity measures, like AI ignoring tanks and deliberately singling healers out, as well as anti-armor abilities.  I want people to win using their head, not just holy trinitying everything in sight and pulling every mob(i'd also be if possible implementing call for help systems to make the AI as ruthless and efficient as possible).

Simply put, I want people to understand they are battling high tech alien militaries, not dummys who let the player do what they want to do all the time that ignore their friends being attacked.

Thing is, the archtypes are almost confined in the holy trinity, so much so if things don't go perfectly to plan they can get destroyed due to over specialization.  So if the AI is smart enough to break the trinity, they'll have little difficulty destroying over-specialized characters.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 09:11:15 PM »
Your AI is the AT. We players are FF's.

*roar*

People have been outsmarting AI since there's been AI. I don't need it to be easy to do but I hope it stays that way! (That humans keep winning!)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 01:02:40 AM by Xev »
Some Faves:

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 04:06:26 AM »
(i'd also be if possible implementing call for help systems to make the AI as ruthless and efficient as possible).

CO actually has a system like this. If you attack a group of enemies with multiple players on a team or even just in the area, some of the time one guy will run off to grab a nearby mob for help. Of course, the guy that runs off invariably dies in the same attack that oneshots the entire rest of the spawn as well so while it's there, it's almost never actually seen in action.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 07:55:50 AM »
COme to think of it after reading replies, it's kind of like avatar creators vs ones that are ready made. Some people want to jump right into the game and having to create an avatar can be over whelming for some which probably why explain why some games that do not have customization options can still draw a crowd. Some people like the simplicity of it.

On the other hand, I prefer customization. I like to make my own. Sure sometimes pre set ATs may fit what I'm going after but 90% of the time, dev selected combos do not fit what I have in mind in concept wise. With a freeform, I finally felt I can actually be creative and build my creations without being dictated by the limited selection of dev chosen AT selections. I could build a toon that prefer melee but when situations get sticky they wont hesitate to pull out a 9mm. Or I can maker a gruff gun slinger. one that don't fold when someone flick it. And when out of bullets can bash your head in with their fist. Or a healer that is in the thick of things and not afraid of kicking a bad guy across the room to get to their ally. Or an actual combat medic super solider. That decent at hand to hand combat, good rifle skills and can heal a fallen comrade. Or even can build and try out power synergies that I didn't know was possible like a radiated cat girl. One that can shoot thermal radiation, have decent reflexes and still uses her claws. In COX that last character wasn't possible in the manner I envisioned and was one that been sitting on the shelf for years simply because it wasn't a choice of the devs for combination.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 03:12:07 PM »
Everyone that is for FF's, I hear ya. I am too. I liked CO plenty before I made my first one but now it's one of the coolest things, to me, about the game. Matter of fact, I dunno how folks who have posted negatively here in the past couldn't get into it! CO's FF system is the cat's meow. I have rave posts on here about the FF system. Add it to your avatar's visual customization options in CO and you have yourself a toon that is much more unique than average.

However.

When I played AT's I happily averaged a new level 40 toon ~ once per month.

Since getting into the FF system it has been over three months since I made a new toon. And I'm probly gonna delete him when I log on.

Am I upset or complaining? Noooo way. Facts are facts tho. I played more when I was an AT. I used more powers and not just to try them out, I used them to level to 40. I experienced more roles, etc., and so on like this. Now, I read. And plot. Fantasize. Etc., and so on like this.

I'm not saying AT's are superior but the math tells me that they must have *some* worth! 

If Todogut makes a FF he won't even need the Wiki. He can just reference one of his bazillion toons  : ) "Oh yeah, I used that power..."
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 03:19:29 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 06:54:26 PM »
CO actually has a system like this. If you attack a group of enemies with multiple players on a team or even just in the area, some of the time one guy will run off to grab a nearby mob for help. Of course, the guy that runs off invariably dies in the same attack that oneshots the entire rest of the spawn as well so while it's there, it's almost never actually seen in action.

Used to be every mob did that at one point during the beta, but people at the time didn't have the overpowered builds at the time, so they'd get swamped.  Thing was, when another mob was alerted, that one would also send for help, so the entire map would inevitably attack.  Honestly, thats actually more realistic than mobs ignoring the mob next to them thats under attack when it's right within view of them.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 07:21:57 PM »
It's been awhile but I think Andrith works like this. Roamers will run around the corner, spot me fighting a crowd, then run off to get more friends.

Andrith is very fun btw. Can't just stampede through. I couldn't anyway. Has a dungeon crawly feel.
Some Faves: