Author Topic: WinAMP going bye bye?  (Read 3166 times)

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
WinAMP going bye bye?
« on: November 21, 2013, 12:12:48 AM »
Winamp.com and associated web services will no longer be available past December 20, 2013. Additionally, Winamp Media players will no longer be available for download. Please download the latest version before that date. See release notes for latest improvements to this last release.
Thanks for supporting the Winamp community for over 15 years.

Is this true? WinAMP is closing its doors? No more kicking the llama's ass? Say it ain't so!

Even though I keep my MP3 library sorted via iTunes, I still kept WinAMP installed to play stuff not integrated into my library. Also it was good at playing most old MOD files.

Well, feh. Yet another thing going away. I downloaded the last available free version now. At least it will continue to work for now.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: WinAMP going bye bye?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 01:44:34 AM »
Winamp is all I use.  Boooooo!
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 04:54:34 AM »
Already grabbed my copy of the last release.  It's not that I use it anymore as my primary player on my PC, but back in the days of a Pentium II, it was something I could run while coding and not take a noticeable chunk of CPU time when I compiled.  Then AOL got it and well ...
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 05:16:38 AM »
Bookmark oldapps.com. I love it for getting previous versions of applications, and they have discontinued ones, too (Netscape, for example).
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 06:39:16 AM »
Wow. That rates up there with CoH on the list of things I never expected to get shut down.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 07:22:52 AM »
And look, a certain big company that owns it refuses to comment why they're dropping it - right after a major release, at that.
Sounds, I don't know, familiar?
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

beveri8469

• Boss
  • still inside atlas park hospital waiting to leave
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 08:33:17 AM »
that stinks. wonder if aol management was taking lessons fron ncsoft? lol.
another good product bites the dust.
@Eternal Twilight
Now in Paragon

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 01:20:06 PM »
Good riddance to what became bad rubbish.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 12:53:37 AM »
Wow. That rates up there with CoH on the list of things I never expected to get shut down.

The way things are going now, I wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow there was an announcement from Microsoft that they are discontinuing Windows forever.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 11:15:56 PM »
Winamp (the 2.81 version) is awesome. It play all kinds of media including .oggs. I like the no frills, no nonsense look of it, ant there are some great plugins that you can get. My favorite is a stick-figure rock band that plays/sings in time with the your music. There is also an amazing dancing girl that most guys would enjoy.

Winamp dancing girl

you can download it here
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 03:36:25 AM »
sigh

Now I have a reason to use WinAmp again.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 08:25:18 PM »
You're welcome, Father
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Banebritch

• Underling
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 04:45:08 AM »
I'm going to miss Winamp, I've been using it for almost 15 years now. I wouldn't be surprised if AOL followed Microsoft's footsteps and shut it down to relaunch it under a new name and with pay for use features replacing ones that used to be free.

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 07:04:25 PM »
Last day to grab the last version of WinAMP. I just wished to give a little heads up.

So sad.  :(