Author Topic: CoX Enhancement Numbers  (Read 3648 times)

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
CoX Enhancement Numbers
« on: May 23, 2015, 04:05:24 PM »
Code: [Select]
Enhance:
1: 100% (25.5)
2: 100%, 95% (24.2)
3: 100%, 95%, 35% (8.78)
4: 100%, 95%, 35%, 15% (3.82)
5: 100%, 95%, 35%, 15%, 15%(3.83)
6: 100%, 95%, 35%, 15%, 15%, 15%(3.82)

Max enhancement = 69.95%

Why? why not 70% even? why not a total of no greater than +100% with 6 slots?

Why 3.82, then 3.83 when the overall direction is projected to go down?

so many questions, so many headaches lol.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
Re: CoX Enhancement Numbers
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 04:47:22 PM »
Esoteric statistics makes mah brain hurt.  :o
What was no more, is now reborn!

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 04:57:00 PM »
I think that it has something to do with the balancing of powers and pawerset across multiple levels and acrhetypes.

Either that or they programmed it that way on a Monday, or even more likely, on a Friday right before a three-day weekend.

The effects of E.D. are not easy to explain.

Number 4 ought to be 3.87, that would make more sense, IMHO.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 06:43:10 PM »
I think that it has something to do with the balancing of powers and pawerset across multiple levels and acrhetypes.

Either that or they programmed it that way on a Monday, or even more likely, on a Friday right before a three-day weekend.

The effects of E.D. are not easy to explain.

Number 4 ought to be 3.87, that would make more sense, IMHO.

I Usually shoot for a number and try to find some rules to change the sequence while focusing on hard numbers (Int).

but yeah if it's to balance out power sets and levels I suppose they did a good job. though technically you could just start max enhancement at 20% for level 0 enhancements and increase the max by 1 each level till 50 then you get an even distribution to 70% over 50 levels.

oh well number magic causes headaches lol I think the Friday night theory is probably a winner (until someone says different) though maybe over time as I study it more in depth I'll figure out why they did it.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 02:35:35 AM »
It seems to me that the IO enhancements of the various types had different scales.
I'm thinking that I got 98.3% or something like that with 3 level 50 damage IO's
The numbers were difficult to decypher.
And IO sets, had me completely non-plused.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 05:02:41 PM »
It seems to me that the IO enhancements of the various types had different scales.
I'm thinking that I got 98.3% or something like that with 3 level 50 damage IO's
The numbers were difficult to decypher.
And IO sets, had me completely non-plused.

yeah, that got me too, it's like they use a different system for percent based power enhancements versus raw number power enhancements.

percent based refers to powers that do things like raise percent based power numbers (def, res, accuracy, tohit ETC.) that sees to cap just under 70%

raw numbers ans powers that do a set amount of effect like 50 damage or 100 heal ETC.

I think I just figured out what the point of ED is; it's slot control!

basically the more rare the enhancement, the higher the max enhance is, but the less rare the enhancement the less slots it takes to reach the cap, then vice versa; the more rare the enhancement is, they use ED to control how many slots it takes to hit the enhance cap.

so it's slot use control, if you want 70% you need IOs and you need 6 slots.

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 08:49:32 PM »
numbers

numb-ers

teh make me thinky parts have a hurtz.

Seriously, though, I have noticed that the math behind most MMOs seems to make little sense even to people educated in such things. Of course, not all games are equal in this, some are far worse than others. I think part of the problem is that the devs are almost never open about how their game really works so the players seldom have all the information and the missing information makes it difficult to figure out the available information.

Or something.

I don't know.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 04:49:13 AM »
I never cared too much about stats and numbers...I just LOVED playing because it was fun at its best.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 04:52:48 AM »
Slot control, interesting.

I'm wanting the game back for a number of reasons.
One of the reasons is to try using 6 slots only on the powers that my character concept fits best.
Normally I would spread out the enhancement slots to all primary powers and then to the secondary powers for more of a balance across the powersets.
Now, I'm thinking that for example an AR blaster, take burst and slug and slot those powers to 6 as soon as possible.
Take other powers like secondary or pool powers as needed.
take the other primary powers that complete the concept like grenade.
Use other powers for set IO's.

I'm going to have to spend so time with Mids.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 11:43:31 PM »
why not a total of no greater than +100% with 6 slots?
It was, once. The result was that players for example six-slotted Hasten with recharge rate and ended up with effectively permament effect.
Enhancement Diversification changed the effect of enhancement to include diminishing returns. YMMV on whether it brought the balance back, or nerfed enhancements too far.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 03:12:40 AM »
You might want to start here

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Enhancements

The math behind enhancements, including the different schedules for different attributes as well as the diminishing returns due to Enhancement Diversification have been well understood and documented for a very long time.

Vohbo

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 06:41:56 PM »
I always considered the entire enhancment-diversification a weak way of altering something. The truth is that the enhancements were not properly balanced from the start and it was never properly addressed. If there had been reasons to slot other things over damage, it would never have been necessary. For example: cost reduction, recharge, accuracy. Having buffs increase the effectiveness of these instead of just affecting said stats, would further encourage slotting them instead of pure damage.

There were many other problems with this, including having a whole area of skills that never wanted/needed more than 3 or 4 slots.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 01:22:11 PM »
You might want to start here

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Enhancements

The math behind enhancements, including the different schedules for different attributes as well as the diminishing returns due to Enhancement Diversification have been well understood and documented for a very long time.

Read this just now, had a quick look through a few days back but was on a trip. it has a lot of information such as drop rates and enhancement base effectivity (including level scaling), and ED is in the 'See also' links, but it doesn't have a section on enhancement boosters.

oh well a good read and a great place for inspiration.

It was, once. The result was that players for example six-slotted Hasten with recharge rate and ended up with effectively permament effect.
Enhancement Diversification changed the effect of enhancement to include diminishing returns. YMMV on whether it brought the balance back, or nerfed enhancements too far.

hmm, I see, then again it all comes to how you do the power base effectivity numbers, there is a threshold there; if you are too low then the game will be too hard and turn into a pay to win situation, if they are too high then the game will be too easy and end up with situations as you describe.

in the end I decided to go with some numbers similar to CoX.

I always considered the entire enhancment-diversification a weak way of altering something. The truth is that the enhancements were not properly balanced from the start and it was never properly addressed. If there had been reasons to slot other things over damage, it would never have been necessary. For example: cost reduction, recharge, accuracy. Having buffs increase the effectiveness of these instead of just affecting said stats, would further encourage slotting them instead of pure damage.

There were many other problems with this, including having a whole area of skills that never wanted/needed more than 3 or 4 slots.

yeah even in the later days, there were only a few sets with decent enough special abilities to tempt players to slot more than just Dam Def Acc Res regen and recovery.

I found it fun to try and use electric control as pure enhancment mod, its fun to see what kinda attacks AVs have that don't require any endurance. and with only normal end mod IOs you can tank at -1. but with no damage enhancement slotted killing things will be very slow.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 12:41:25 AM »
Your toHit was multiplied by their defense divided by
Your damage times their resist damage
If the answer was less than cheese, add 6
if the answer was greater than the square root of smoke minus the number of foes.
Unless you triggered Marty in which the answer was always 54 unless you were an incarnate then the answer was 45.

Simple.