Author Topic: Is It Really Over???  (Read 8725 times)

Wammo

• Lieutenant
Is It Really Over???
« on: December 03, 2013, 05:35:14 PM »
It has been over a year since my last log in. I sit at my computer today longing for the sounds of Atlas Park. I truly thought we would make some kind of progress and see the game reborn before now. Is it really over? Will I never play my defender again? Is this really the end? Is there no one who can offer even a glimmer of hope anymore?

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
Re: Is It Really Over???
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 08:18:58 PM »
I wouldn't give up hope just yet. I think it's clear now that NCSoft absolutely will not do anything as to the revival of City or Heroes or sale of rights to it to other parties, but I know that Titan has still other backup plans. And there's always the Plan Z initiatives. Though they probably seem like cold comfort since you (like me) miss City of Heroes itself, they're designed to carry on the best of what CoH had to offer, so I have strong hope that they'll be worthy successors.

Keep the torch held high, man, and don't turn your back on the City!

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 08:46:41 PM »
Over? Not quite.

In grand comics tradition we are merely lying low while hatching our next plan for world domination. And, like in comics, nobody knows when we will strike next.

The fact that we are still asking the question a year in, and that we know there is more than one project in the works, means that the fans are still there. Exactly how we come back... well, that is a story for the next issue.

As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 09:19:24 PM »
Not to mention secret people doing unknown, questionable things.

Everyone is upset and anxious over not having playable access to Our Favorite Stress Relief i.e. CoX. But it is still time to Hurry Up and Wait, hard though that may be to do.

Tacitala

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 11:00:24 PM »
I sit at my computer today longing for the sounds of Atlas Park.

While there isn't/won't be active combat in it, Icon can get you back in the city for screenshot and exploration.  The thread has a link to where you can download the issue 24 beta client if you need a copy.  The Wiki page on it has full details and commands (plus links to some of the pop menus).

Will I never play my defender again? Is this really the end?

Details are being kept private, however we have been assured there is an effort to create an emulator afoot.  It will take time, needless to say, but we will have our characters back whether it is by a certain game company having a moment of clarity or it is by the work of talented players.

Tl:dr- it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings and I couldn't carry a tune if you handed me a bucket.
"And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice."
- Princess Fiona of Amber

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 11:37:28 PM »
Not to mention secret people doing unknown, questionable things.

The only question such clandestine activities elicit from me is "how soon?"

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 12:58:24 AM »
The best answer I can give: it's taken 5 years to get a workable Matrix Online emulator.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 01:04:04 AM »
Do not give up now.  We have come far in our projects, and we will be triumphant.  It will take time to get our new city.  We have talented people who are dedicated to building our new city.

Sorry, CoyoteSeven, but The Order of the Obsidian Moon cannot discuss their clandestine assignments.  I'm sure you understand.  Just know that The Order takes this as their top priority.  Oh and they're asking was it really necessary to drink that second cup of coffee this morning.  ;)
No Surrender!

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 02:23:07 AM »

Echoing the voices of the Devs from the old CoH forums...

"Soon(tm)."

/Please note, I do not have any info, I just hadda say it. :)

Reiraku

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 02:57:23 AM »

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 03:21:54 AM »

You might be ankles-deep into another hobby or time-vampire before there's positive news on this front.  Possibly knees-deep. 

But I'm hopeful it's not neck-deep, like CoH was to us once upon a time.  My guess, there may be a 2nd or 4th Anniversary of no City of Heroes before one of the Plan Z projects happens (I hate to steal a lyrical device from George Jones, but to help correct the tint of the rose-colored glasses I am wearing, I expect Heroes and Villains and City of Titans to have delays, even if they end up releasing on time.)  But I'm strong in the feeling that Plan Z will happen first out of anything.

As the open source communities happily espouse, Rule 1 of Free/Libre Software: Sorry, no deadlines.  It's ready when it's ready.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 03:42:29 AM »
I while away my time in The Sims 3 - it has a good costume creator, let's me build houses/buildings, and it's stand-alone; if EA goes out of business tomorrow, I still have a playable game.  After CoH, I said no more MMOs (exempting CoT, which I contributed towards), as someone can pull the plug at any time, for no reason given - it's just not worth getting attached to one of them.

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 04:42:12 AM »
You might be ankles-deep into another hobby or time-vampire before there's positive news on this front.  Possibly knees-deep. 

But I'm hopeful it's not neck-deep, like CoH was to us once upon a time...

If you know from where I got my icon from, you'll know I've certainly been down this particular road before.  :'(

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 05:44:55 AM »
as long as there is fire in the fans for city of heroes coming back it is never over. while I quit playing when this game needed me, I have always loved this game even with the bad decisions going into it. I wish this game would comeback. I wont give up on this game (not again).
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 11:55:47 AM »
I just had to log in to say Happy Holidays and /em holdtorch.    Best wishes to all the CoX fans here on Titan Network forums.  :)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2013, 04:40:34 PM »
You still see people posting on NCSofts main facebook page, even though the english page automatically deletes anything mentioning city of heroes.  I post occasionally saying that NCSoft really has nothing to lose for selling the IP.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 08:49:18 PM »
Ha.  At least they are annoyed enough with us CoHers that they delete post's about it.

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 04:13:44 AM »
Haha, wow, automatic deletion just for the mention of City of Heroes? If that's so ... they really are trying to pull a Soviet airbrush on us, aren't they?

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 05:09:17 AM »
I don't know how "automatic" it is.  I see quite a few CoH posts from this month, the most recent only three days old.  (More recent posts have been in the form of images and videos).

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 08:02:17 AM »
Just a quick wish of a happy new year to all you folks out there.  :)  Keep hope alive, gang.

batqueen

• Boss
  • [flap flap]
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 07:56:33 AM »
And happy New Year to you too! (semi-lurking, but still watchful!....)

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 07:31:11 PM »
Is it Really Over???

Never. It will never, ever be over.

I will either have the chance to play in Paragon City again or I will content myself with the loathing I feel for those who killed the game. I don't think I can ever forgive them and I certainly won't forget.

AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 09:45:41 PM »
Men have walked on the moon....people have had face transplants and given other body parts....lost items have been found/returned after years and years...things that people deemed impossible, or would never happen, have happened. In a world of miracles and wonder, I will never give up hope that we will have our game back. In my heart I say 'when' not 'if'.
"Some folks say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Mouse-Man

• Minion
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 12:42:55 AM »
"What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!"

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 01:00:06 AM »
"Striker was the squadron leader. He brought us in real low. But he couldn't handle it."

"Buddy couldn't handle it. Was Buddy one of your crew?"

"Right. Buddy was the bombardier. But it was Striker who couldn't handle it, and he went to pieces."

"Andy went to pieces?"

"No. Andy was the navigator. He was all right. Buddy went to pieces. It was awful how he came unglued."

"Howie came unglued?"

"Oh, no. Howie was a rock, the best tailgunner in the outfit. Buddy came unglued."

"And he bailed out?"

"No. Andy hung tough. Buddy bailed out. How he survived, it was a miracle."

"Then Howie survived?"

"No, 'fraid not. We lost Howie the next day."

"Over Macho Grande?"

"No. I don't think I'll ever get over Macho Grande. Those wounds run...pretty deep."