Author Topic: ASM #700.1 on stands December 4. Spidey is BACK!  (Read 1788 times)

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
ASM #700.1 on stands December 4. Spidey is BACK!
« on: December 01, 2013, 09:49:34 AM »
I got the news about issue 700 the same week that City of Heroes closed. As a long-time subscriber and Spidey aficionado, it was One Bad Week.

Fast forward to now. What has happened this week?

- Fresh rumors around the Titan forums that a City of Heroes server is still being worked on.
- Heroes and Villains released a metric ton of concept art.
- Better late than never, on Black Friday, I finally found and bought an affordable, factory-sealed CoH collector's edition box on Amazon.
- And to top it off, I just got the news. Peter Parker is coming back to the comics! Ha! Screw you Octo-Spidey-face!

Guess they finally got tired of me keeping that subscription canceled! See? Boycotts work sometimes. :P

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
Re: ASM #700.1 on stands December 4. Spidey is BACK!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 01:41:42 PM »
Hmm. Didn't Ock erase Parker's memories entirely though?
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 05:21:13 AM »
I have no idea. Instead of reading #700, I had already promptly unsubscribed, and started using Marvel Digital to read story arcs from before I started reading comics. (I started reading comics as an adult, in early 2009--weird huh?) I guess I would be willing to go back and read those last couple of issues now.

Marvel's blurb for #700.1 doesn't give away much (look at the publish date, not the 1999--that's Volume 2's starting year). What I'm interested to find out is if this will be considered a continuation of ASM Volume 2, or if Marvel is going to consider it the beginning of Spidey's third volume. After blatantly referring to his death as "the end of Peter Parker's story" over the past year, it kind of seems to me like a new beginning is in order.

And I'm kicking myself because after a year I really started to believe they weren't kidding. Even knowing what I know about comics. I'm so gullible sometimes. :(

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 12:15:54 AM »
I have no idea. Instead of reading #700, I had already promptly unsubscribed, and started using Marvel Digital to read story arcs from before I started reading comics. (I started reading comics as an adult, in early 2009--weird huh?) I guess I would be willing to go back and read those last couple of issues now.

Marvel's blurb for #700.1 doesn't give away much (look at the publish date, not the 1999--that's Volume 2's starting year). What I'm interested to find out is if this will be considered a continuation of ASM Volume 2, or if Marvel is going to consider it the beginning of Spidey's third volume. After blatantly referring to his death as "the end of Peter Parker's story" over the past year, it kind of seems to me like a new beginning is in order.

And I'm kicking myself because after a year I really started to believe they weren't kidding. Even knowing what I know about comics. I'm so gullible sometimes. :(

Well, if Ock wiped his memory then it pretty much would be a new beginning. As long as they don't totally fuck him up to "attract new fans" (aka, turn him into a punk like the ASM movie Peter), I might actually pick this up. Otherwise, I pretty much have sworn off Marvel with the cancellation of Scarlet Spider....

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 04:07:24 AM »
I stopped reading mainstream comics when Hal Jordan became a city destroying super villain (I gather I wasn't alone -- that was the time of the vast market crash).  Now I only read completed stories in Graphic Novel form that have good reputations and I'm immune to idiocy like Peter Parker being replaced by Doc Ock for a year (face palm) or Superman turning blue and getting electrical powers.  And I get to read awesome things like the 1990's Starman series in one fell swoop (well, it took me a year to get all the volumes and read through them) -- or Paul Dini's run on Batman -- or Ultimate Avengers -- 52 (not the NEW 52) etc.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 04:35:01 AM »
Don't get me started on the 'New 52'.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 06:18:10 AM »
I'll stop reading a series that flies south by my preferences (whole point of the OP). But one thing I can't relate with some of ya'll on is quitting comics over one mag. And it's not just you; I recognize I'm the odd man out here, and ya'll are in good company: at least one person says they quit comics over a rag in pretty much every thread I've ever read or started about a comic book on the Titan forums or the old City forums. Nuts!

Here are some comparisons, just so you'll know how it sounds in my mind.

"I quit watching movies after Dumb and Dumber. Eeesh."
"I quit reading books after Anne Rice. Gawd, ugh..."
"I quit playing games after Mass Effect 3's ending."

I mean, yeah, #700 chased me off of ASM. But do ya'll know how many writers and artists Marvel employs? There were some great reads in Captain America and various X-Men titles over the past year. But forget about Marvel. What about publishers like Dark Horse and IDW? IDW has done a great job putting shows like the X-Files and the reimagined Battlestar Galactica in the comics (and a Doctor Who/ST:TNG crossover!). What about all the smaller indie comics out there? Those poor guys have nothing to do with Marvel's lame-o decisions. I think it's just nuts to blame all comics for one team's poor choices. And yet I know that the practice is prevalent enough that I'm likely to be the one who seems to have the weird perspective here. :o

I know that's probably going to offend someone here in some way or another. But go easy on me, eh? I've been wanting to type that out for about five years now. I had to let it out! :gonk:

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 07:33:41 PM »
Eh well, I just wasn't interested in anything else Marvel had to offer. Just like I'd probably stop reading DC (new DC anyway, I'll probably still go back and read older stories) if they ever cancel Batman Beyond. It's not so much a boycott thing, just a nothing-else-interests-me thing.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 11:20:33 PM »
Is it a return? Or is it a stand alone type thing?
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame