Author Topic: Day of the Doctor - Discuss - Yes, Spoilers.  (Read 2271 times)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Day of the Doctor - Discuss - Yes, Spoilers.
« on: November 24, 2013, 05:27:27 AM »
I'm surprised I'm the first one here.  I know there are other Whovians here.  So what did you all think?

Notables

- Nice to see Billie not playing Rose.  A more mature part for her.  No school girl crush "Oh Doctor".

- Nice to see who popped in toward the end in the Gallery.

- To bad they didn't get 9 now 10 to show the completed regeneration.

- Clever use of stock footage.

- "It's a device that goes ding.  I invented it myself."

- "You know what this means?  What?  We're going to need another horse."

- Nice touch in seeing where Clara now teaches.  Did you see who the chairman of the school board is?

- What's up with the high heels in the Black Vault?  River's?

- This explains why Elizabeth I is miffed back in "The Shakespeare Code".

So anyone?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 07:31:15 AM by FatherXmas »
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: Day of the Doctor - Discuss - Yes, Spoilers.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 06:06:48 AM »
- Nice to see who popped in toward the end in the Gallery.

Really liked that part.

- Clever use of stock footage.

That's what I was thinking.  The way they used it made the fact that some would be in color and some black and white irrelevant.

- "It's a device that goes ding.  I invented it myself."

Got a good chuckle out of that.

- Nice touch in seeing where Clara now teaches.  Did you see who the chairman of the school board is?

I actually didn't catch that.

- This explains why Elizabeth I is miffed back in "The Shakespeare Code".

I'd forgotten about that.

I also liked the little "nice scarf" quip.  I'd said the same thing when I first saw it.

Overall, the interaction between Smith and Tennant was every bit as good as I hoped it would be.  And Hurt made it even better.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 07:30:50 AM »
Ian is now the chairman of the board of governors.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 09:34:49 PM »
There were a lot of good bits, but I think my favourite part was briefly seeing the TARDIS interior properly covered in those round things with a design that was both classic and updated.  I love the round things.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 09:54:55 PM »
Ian is now the chairman of the board of governors.
I figured it was a nod of some sort, but had to look up who he was.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 03:02:24 AM »

- To bad they didn't get 9 now 10 to show the completed regeneration.

That's about the only moment when I was dissatisfied. Just five more seconds. Would that have been too much to ask?

Other favorites from here:

The corkboard with the companion photos.

Clara's motorcycle

The brief semi cameo of 12/13

The big red button reference (bonus for looking like a rose)

Jack's vortex manipulator (that thing gets around almost as much as it's owner does)

Bad Wolf-Rose sounding more than a bit like Idris (I have a theory forming around that)

"Same software, New casing"

The original opening titles.

The General's dismissal of the High Council's plans (we all know how well that turned out)

and many, many more

As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 11:01:54 AM »
I saw "The Day of the Doctor" movie at the local theater in 3-D on Monday evening. I'm not the most knowledgeable Dr. Who fan, but I enjoyed it very much.

Decades ago, I regularly watched the Tom Baker/Peter Davison episodes on PBS. (It fit nicely into my week-night schedule: watch Dr. Who from 10-10:30 P.M., and then go to bed.) But, I have not seen almost any of the series before or since.

Currently, my cable TV package does not include BBC, so I can't watch the show at home. However, my parents have a different cable TV package, which includes BBC. While visiting mom and dad, I have caught a few Dr. Who episodes starring David Tennant or Matt Smith. (The recent episodes appear to be much larger productions with bigger budgets and more elaborate special effects. In the Baker/Davison episodes, the Doctor mostly just talked a lot. Today, he really does some cool, heroic, science-fictiony action.)

Clearly, the 50th anniversary episode was a special event, with major progression in the title character's storyline and several touches paying tribute to the show's history. The writing and production showed great care for the character and franchise. (It reminded me of the final episode for Star Trek: The Next Generation.)

After seeing the movie, I exchanged text messages with a friend who lives in a different time zone. He's a big Dr. Who fan, and he loved the movie. He indicated the last three years of the show have been great.

Maybe I'll visit my parents more often... particularly when new episodes of Dr. Who are shown on BBC.

Nightwatch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 02:29:03 PM »
I figured it was a nod of some sort, but had to look up who he was.

Clara's school in Day of the Doctor is actually the school the companions of Doctor I (William Hartwell) were at in the first episode 50 years ago.  His frst companions were a male (Ian) and female teacher there and a pupil, the Doctor's own grandaughter, Susan!

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 11:42:28 PM »
Clara's school in Day of the Doctor is actually the school the companions of Doctor I (William Hartwell) were at in the first episode 50 years ago.  His frst companions were a male (Ian) and female teacher there and a pupil, the Doctor's own grandaughter, Susan!

Ian Chesterton and Barbara Wright (later Chesterton) were both teachers at the school where the Doctor's granddaughter, Susan, is attending. Since susan seems to be far more intelligent than a girl her age should be, they follow her home to... a junkyard.

or you could just watch it here http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xyms9l_an-unearthly-child-1-an-unearthly-child_shortfilms?search_algo=2
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 12:02:49 AM by JWBullfrog »
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Magus Prime

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 06:45:56 PM »
In a hunt for what sand shoes are, I found THIS!