Author Topic: Simcopter  (Read 3434 times)

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
Simcopter
« on: December 20, 2013, 11:00:58 PM »
I enjoy classical music, and used to listen to Simcopter's in-game classical station. These days, when I hear a piece that was in the game, I envision flying through the city, and I keep expecting the dispatcher to interrupt the music with a call. It's really making me miss the game. I'm currently doing Search & Rescue 4, which is kind of like that, but no dispatcher, and you take off to answer one specific call. I may have to get an old computer, just to play Simcopter again.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
Re: Simcopter
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 11:56:11 PM »
Sim Copter was a classic. My favorite feature was being able to import Sim City 2000 maps and fly around.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 12:20:21 AM »
I may have to get an old computer, just to play Simcopter again.

No need for that. Look up a program called cpugrab. It gobbles resources on a processor to make it effectively run slower. Set SimCopter to run on one core only, set cpugrab to throttle that core down to next to nothing, and the game runs just fine even on modern systems. Up to windows 7 at least, dunno about 8.

Sure, you can't run the installer on a modern computer since it's 16 bit, but you don't need to. Copy the relevent game files yourself and it'll still run just fine. Hell, run it direct off the CD and it runs just fine with the except of not letting you save games.

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 07:52:38 PM »
Oh man, SimCopter. I still have that in storage. Loved the radio, both the music and the fake commercials. Hey, if you're in a city with a military base, try checking it out!

One of these days somebody's gotta make an updated remake of that game.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 01:10:34 AM »
Given how badly they botched the latest SimCity I'm not sure I'd want them to. I mean I'd get behind the idea, but honestly I couldn't in good faith expect EA to deliver a decent game at the end.

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 07:50:45 AM »
Yeah, but I mean like ... a fan update or something. One that makes it compatible with more versions of SimCity than just 2000, and with modern graphics standards. I don't think SimCopter would work out well at all with the most recent fiasco that is the latest SimCity.

Alas, EA would probably swat down a fan remake, too ...

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 09:11:44 PM »
Yeah, but I mean like ... a fan update or something. One that makes it compatible with more versions of SimCity than just 2000, and with modern graphics standards. I don't think SimCopter would work out well at all with the most recent fiasco that is the latest SimCity.

Alas, EA would probably swat down a fan remake, too ...

A straight up fan remake, yes, but that doesn't mean that someone can't make a very similar series of games using some of the same types of gameplay elements. I've seen dozens of Sim City clones on both the Android and iOS markets, so it wouldn't be a stretch to see one of those groups make a Sim Copter clone too that can interact with their "Insert non-trademark infringing City title here" game.