Author Topic: Did Sentinel happen to record costume pieces??  (Read 1880 times)

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
Did Sentinel happen to record costume pieces??
« on: December 02, 2013, 03:59:13 AM »
 I have no idea. Any chance it recorded what pieces you used on a character ??

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
Re: Did Sentinel happen to record costume pieces??
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 04:08:35 AM »
Sentinel+ recorded the costume parts from a character's costume slots; however, it recorded them in a non-CoH naming convention:

Code: [Select]
<part>Tight !Hips_V_Stealth_01 !Hips_V_Stealth_01_Mask 00003855 00003d00</part>
The 'Stealth' legs part, in the 'Stealth' pattern with, IIRC, colors of green and gold.

Some of them are more obscure, such as a custom weapon:

Code: [Select]
<part>none none none 00ffffff 00008cd4 00002a7f 00003d00 WEAPONS/Custom_DualBlades/Fem_DualBladeLeft_Falcata01.fx</part>
So it's a non-trivial task to read the costume section of a Sentinel+ save file and reconstruct the costume from it, although I have no doubt that it would be possible to write a tool that would read a file and write a .costume file that could be imported into Icon.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 04:36:55 AM »
Sentinel+ recorded the costume parts from a character's costume slots; however, it recorded them in a non-CoH naming convention:
More accurately, it recorded them in an under-the-hood CoH naming convention.  Different from what you're used to reading on the interface in the costume creator, but the way the game is used to reading them from a character database entry.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 06:43:25 AM »
I kick myself now for not making costume files for all my characters.  Those I could have used in Icon.  I do have Sentinel+ files for all of them but...

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 01:44:13 PM »
You can recreate them from that. :) There's a guide somewhere on the forums IIRC. :)
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Tacitala

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 03:19:38 PM »
It should also be noted that while you can fully recreate the costume, you're looking at a signifigant amount of time looking up the exact costume pieces.  The post that details the process is here.

It may be quicker to skip the costume part of the reconstruction: translate in the face and body scales on to a "generic costume file" then remake the costume from memory or from screenshots/demo files.
"And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice."
- Princess Fiona of Amber

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 04:08:12 AM »
It should also be noted that while you can fully recreate the costume, you're looking at a signifigant amount of time looking up the exact costume pieces.  The post that details the process is here.

It may be quicker to skip the costume part of the reconstruction: translate in the face and body scales on to a "generic costume file" then remake the costume from memory or from screenshots/demo files.

This would be the easiest route to go except for those characters that had costume parts that were removed from the game or renamed in some way. 

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 04:11:29 AM »
 Thank you this is very helpful.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 05:56:33 AM »
I wonder how hard, or easy, it would be to turn a character's demo file description into a .costume file?

Phaetan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 01:49:34 PM »
In theory, Guy was looking into making a program to do it.   I haven't heard anything either way for a while.  I suppose I should go be to manually rebuilding my costumes from the sentinel files.  I think I have copies on a flash drive that survived my HD dying...

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 03:36:27 PM »
I wonder how hard, or easy, it would be to turn a character's demo file description into a .costume file?

That thread has the answers which you seek.

Namely, a demo costume segment compared with a typical .costume file.

:D
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 12:09:09 AM »
That thread has the answers which you seek.

Namely, a demo costume segment compared with a typical .costume file.

:D

I remember this thread.

I've used the Demolition website to create demo files from some of my Sentinel+ files.  Where I've done that, the characters look correct, even those that couldn't be edited in-game at Icon.

Another benefit to going through Demolition is that the selected character is the only character in the demo file.