Author Topic: That 'Feeling'  (Read 6520 times)

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
Re: That 'Feeling'
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2013, 08:15:42 PM »
Hi JWB!  Yes, i definitely agree with what you say here.  I can think of lots of times when people were just visiting out of character, often on an SG channel or a global chat channel, while playing.  And that doesn't include all the people, myself too on occasion, who very much enjoyed in-character, in-game roleplaying.   (No, I wasn't a regular at Pocket D on Virtue, but can appreciate the appeal and enjoyment for those into it.)  With all the teamups, helping one another, and in and out of character visiting, no wonder real friendships were created, and in some cases still endure.  (Hugs to @Heroette, for example, and to @Healix, who I met only after server shutdown here on Titan.)

LOL, AlphaFerret, that takes me back!  I can sure relate to what you are saying and LOL, sometimes I would intervene as you describe regardless of level.  I remember one late night during my first couple of months making a noobish attempt to keep the streets of Steel Canyon free from crime, mostly from the (then) yellowline train station to Wentworth's.  I had fun roleplaying big time in my head, wondered about the counter (I don't think any of these counted towards defeats badges and besides I was such a grass-green noob I had no idea what those were), but eventually got tired of defeating Grays and roleplaying Hero in my head and went on to the next arc, confident that, either for XP or not, in time another hero would come along to sweep these streets clean once again!  Ditto for hunting out the hill in the Hollows!  Fun times!
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2013, 11:50:03 PM »
We need our City back!

Recently this idea has been running through my head... the scene from Princess Bride where Inigo has cornered the six fingered man, Count Ruegen, and is slashing him up;

"Promise me Money..."
"As much as you wish"
"And promise me Power"
"All that I have and more"
"Promise me anything I ask"
"Anything you want"
*STAB*
"I want my city back you son of a bitch!"
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

antarcticaa

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2013, 02:10:47 AM »
"I want my city back you son of a bitch!"

/agree with all the above posts
I miss the special camaraderie we had.  Chatting in SG.  Joining a tf with a random group with who needed a specific type, even though you wanted to play another character, because it felt better helping someone out.  Giving someone a few levels, or having the same favor done for one of my own toons, simply because we wanted to.  The countless random acts of kindness I saw and participated in.  Chatting with friends or making new ones in game.  Designing so many costumes (sure was cheaper than going out and buying clothes, lol.)  Taking on new challenges or simply enjoying the different zones and cruising around.  I miss it.  I miss y'all!

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2013, 07:30:47 PM »
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

microc

• Boss
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2013, 10:48:50 PM »
a miss that evil jello in the game...

Aura Controller

• Minion
  • "Hey, is there room in that head for one more?"
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2013, 04:43:48 AM »
Lately I've been watching the justice league and I find myself thinking. "I want to jump in and help. I want to save that citizen. I want to fight along side the heroes... like I use to."
http://www.youtube.com/user/AccidentalPsychopath

Look I'm on YouTube!
Is it OK to advertise that down here? O.o
Also does anyone ever read these?

Catstiel

• Underling
  • Circle of Thorns Bakery - Try our new Oranbagel!
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2013, 12:00:24 PM »
"I want to jump in and help. I want to save that citizen. I want to fight along side the heroes... like I use to."

I want to go beat the cogs out of every clockwork that ever trapped me in an electric cage while i was flying.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2013, 05:02:24 PM »
I want to shank every freakshow I come across "And this time, stay down!" I hated those self-rezing schmucks
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2013, 07:25:16 PM »
I want to shank every freakshow I come across "And this time, stay down!" I hated those self-rezing schmucks

Hey, hey, hey.... they were the "Buy one get one free" XP group.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Lady Luck

• Minion
  • Formerly of the Victory server
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2013, 11:35:39 PM »
Lately I've been watching the justice league and I find myself thinking. "I want to jump in and help. I want to save that citizen. I want to fight along side the heroes... like I use to."

I've been watching Justice League and Young Justice myself and it makes me miss my heroes so much.
Especially Young Justice, Heroes struggling to become a team, learning who makes a good team leader and such. -sigh-  :(

I found the crappy town where I'm the hero!
But then NCSoft took it away :(

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2013, 06:46:32 AM »
One day we will all have Paragon City back.

And when that day comes...

I am going to log into Atlas Park and start a political or religious argument in broadcast. ;D

DJMoose

• Missing His Jeep
  • Boss
  • To believe in the heroic makes heroes.
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2013, 04:38:05 AM »
I have to admit I got more of a few virtual double takes when an 8 1/2 ft tall Santa Claus lands, heals and SJs away.
LOL to this mental image! :D
/agree with all the above posts
I miss the special camaraderie we had.  Chatting in SG.  Joining a tf with a random group with who needed a specific type, even though you wanted to play another character, because it felt better helping someone out.  Giving someone a few levels, or having the same favor done for one of my own toons, simply because we wanted to.  The countless random acts of kindness I saw and participated in.  Chatting with friends or making new ones in game.  Designing so many costumes (sure was cheaper than going out and buying clothes, lol.)  Taking on new challenges or simply enjoying the different zones and cruising around.  I miss it.  I miss y'all!
This; the only mmo where I truly enjoyed doing random missions with pugs (99% of the time anyway...). 
I met most of my in-game friends this way, usually hanging out after a mission and chatting about each other's costumes and power combos.
Serkana The Wise
Primal Praetorian

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2013, 08:23:29 AM »
LOL to this mental image! :DThis; the only mmo where I truly enjoyed doing random missions with pugs (99% of the time anyway...). 
I met most of my in-game friends this way, usually hanging out after a mission and chatting about each other's costumes and power combos.
The events were great for pugging - ToTing, BNY, V-day, Summer - I met a lot of cool people that way.
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2013, 01:35:25 AM »
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

crashpositron

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2013, 02:39:29 AM »
The feeling I miss from CoX in CO is PUGs.  You can't just start up a team and do stuff - as soon as you do a couple of the boss's mishes, you end up with an outdoor glowy hunt and if you have 5 on the team, that means 5 x 15 = 75 glowies to collect, of which there are 20, so you end up standing around waiting for mobs to respawn . . . .
also the mishes don't increase mob sizes or difficulty for a team - 8 guys on your team? Still the same two minions in the mish. Oh, do a team mish and you don't have it on your mish list? Too bad, it doesn't count towards your arc.  :gonk:

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2013, 02:46:39 AM »
The feeling I miss from CoX in CO is PUGs.  You can't just start up a team and do stuff - as soon as you do a couple of the boss's mishes, you end up with an outdoor glowy hunt and if you have 5 on the team, that means 5 x 15 = 75 glowies to collect, of which there are 20, so you end up standing around waiting for mobs to respawn . . . .
also the mishes don't increase mob sizes or difficulty for a team - 8 guys on your team? Still the same two minions in the mish. Oh, do a team mish and you don't have it on your mish list? Too bad, it doesn't count towards your arc.  :gonk:
well the team mish not in the list, COX worked the same way. If ya don't have that particular mission in the list at the time, forget about it, even if it's the next one.

But there is a feature where you can share mission. Meaning complete one and anyone with that mission in their list and clicked on the share option will get completed. Meaning only 15 glowies have to be collected and the rest that put it in their mission list should get a complete for it. But sometimes it bugs out at times.

Yeah the mobs in most missions scale for some reason really don't scale for team. Go figure. Besides a few lairs and missions dealing with Viper.

But by definition in CO one can simply start up a PUG but it's not heavily rewarded or nudged towards like it was in COX. In CO it really test the real reason of teaming. Many say it's about the camaraderie, and social, but in CO where the rewards for teaming is all but removed, the true nature shows that majority of the time people were just talking and it's about the rewards. In CO teaming for rewards probably will be severely disappointed especially if they were used to the gift drops for teaming in COX rewards. But for those that want to team just to team for truly camaraderie and teaming and social, there is nothing in the way of it. But they wont be overly heavily rewarded for it.