Author Topic: FICTION: Company Business  (Read 6944 times)

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
Episode 19
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 02:45:08 AM »
  Zandra arrived in the control room just as the air shimmered and ...something... appeared. Her first thought was the word 'big' which was quickly amended to 'really big' which almost immediately became ' Oh my God!'

Zandra had seen a Totem spirit before. She'd partially vaporized one just a few hours earlier but that one wasn't nearly as big as the one in front of her. This one filled the room, stretching the nearly three stories between the floor and the ceiling.

She could feel it's presence, the almost solid wall of fear that it generated, and she was tempted to run as far and as fast as she could to get away from it. She took a step back and planted her foot on top of that urge. She was not about to run away from the starring attraction at the Enchanted Tiki Room, no matter how large it was. She could see Madam and Etherfalcon turning to face the new threat. She smiled. How often did you get to watch your heroes in action?

Masada could hear the spirit's voice in her head. It wanted her to fear, it wanted her to despair, it wanted her to surrender. Madam ignored it.

What it wanted didn't matter.

Masada finished with the last of the husks in front of her and deliberately made a slow turn to face the spirit. It's thick barrel legs filled her vision and the heat coming from it's flames would have blistered the skin of an average person.

Madam ignored it.

She slowly crossed her arms and looked up at the crudely carved face. "Well?," she asked, " Are you just going to stand there or are you going to do something?"

"...fear me..."

"...Puny mortal. Yes, you've said that already. Is that all or did you have a reason for interrupting me?"

Etherfalcon threw a final zombie into the pile of broken corpses around him and stood and watched as Masada calmly stood in front of the Totem.

"Her toes. She's actually tapping her toes," he thought. "The thing's thirty feet tall and she looks like she's waiting for an explanation of how the baseball came through her front window."

Etherfalcon finally had an answer for Orst. She was insane. Completely, and totally, insane. The tactical display in his cowl was flashing the message 'processing.' It didn't have enough data about the best way to engage a three story tiki.

Madam Masada preferred a straight forward fight but she also understood that sometimes misdirection was best. She only had a few moments of grace before the monster in front of her worked out the math of one normal sized woman versus thirty feet of supernatural wooden idol.

She glanced across the room and caught Etherfalcon's eye. He looked alert but worried. He always thought he had to protect her. She didn't have the time to correct him.

She let her eyes drift down to the grenade pouches on his belt and then back up to the idol's legs.

"Well, I'm waiting..."

Etherfalcon saw Masada's eyes drift down to his belt. He smiled. His tactical display, in response to his mental query, started estimating the structural weak points of the Tiki's legs.

Masada, insane? Not at all.

The Tiki roared and stormed forward. The gods had decided that the woman had to die, had to be torn into small pieces for her arrogance. It's arms reached down to crush her but closed on empty air.

Masada danced backward, dodging the clumsy wooden claws and keeping it's attention focused on her. She made some short swipes at the Tiki's hands, just to sting and infuriate it. All she needed to do was hold it's attention for a few moments while Etherfalcon, who had been behind the monster just moments before, got clear.

As he dodged away from the Tiki, Etherfalcon thought that applied chemistry should be a prerequisite for all superhuman training. It was amazing what a small amount of iron and aluminum powder could do when attached to a magnesium igniter.

The Tiki howled as the six Thermite charges that were attached to it's legs ignited simultaneously. Each one of the small grenades generated enough heat to burn through steel plate. Six of them, each burning at 4000 degrees, and placed at critical points, were enough to stagger the Totem and drive it to wherever it's knees were.

The gods were outraged. How could mere humans hurt one of their greater spirits? Looking through their servant's eyes, the Pantheon gods could see the woman who dared defy them. Crush her, and the others would begin to fear. And once they knew fear, they would be vulnerable. As the gods watched, the woman stopped retreating and stepped closer to their servant. She was not cowed, she was (to the gods' confusion) smiling.

Madam's knives were a blur. Every seam, every joint, every spot of weakness she could find became a target. It wasn't a desperation move. Madam was not desperate. She wasn't even in a particular hurry. She took her time finding just the right spots that would do the most damage. It was true that the technique, often referred to as 'thousand cuts' was far more effective against a soft human body than it was against magically hardened wood, but nothing could take that much damage without suffering.

The Totem shuddered and crashed to the ground, crushing the last few zombies below it. Madam had seen the fall coming and had stepped calmly out of the way. She looked around the room for any corpses that might have still been moving.

Etherfalcon stepped up beside her.

"Feel better?"

Madam thought for a moment. "Yes," she said evenly.

"Good," replied Etherfalcon in the same calm tone. He opened the channel to Orst. "Have your people stand down. We might actually need that portal now."

Any reply Orst might have made was lost in the roar of the Totem as it climbed back to it's feet, flames shooting from the gaps in it's body. Madam's leap carried her several feet away as Etherfalcon rolled in the opposite direction. He wasn't surprised that the Tiki had stood up again, he'd just expected it to take longer.

He had the Tiki's full attention now. He needed to keep moving until he had a better tactical situation or someone else had more firepower. He was good, but a thirty foot tiki wasn't going to be impressed by a kick to the face.

Then again....

"Orst, have your people concentrate whatever they have left on the Tiki, I need it disoriented."

"Then let me," he heard Zandra say over the comm line. Her words faded into static as a blue white energy beam lanced out from the balcony and severed the Tiki's right arm. Etherfalcon smiled as a second beam vaporized the left arm and a third beam shattered the top of the Totem's head. It seemed that the good doctor wasn't about to miss out on the fight.

The Tiki roared and staggered again as parts of it's physical form disappeared. It couldn't hold onto this reality. In front of it, the man in Blue and Silver was sprinting toward it.

Etherfalcon leapt into the air and, with the assistance of his antigrav, turned his upward momentum into a backflip. At the point of his flip closest to the Totem's face he lashed out with a solid kick that landed squarely on a crack that Zandra's third shot had started. as he landed on his feet, he saw the Tiki splitting apart, shattering under it's own weight.

Madam stepped up next to him and surveyed his work.

"Feel better?"

Etherfalcon thought for a moment. "Yes," said evenly.

They stood in silence for a moment. Before Madam turned her head slightly and said, quietly...

"David?"

"Yes?"

"A Flash Kick? Honestly?"
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
Episode 20
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2014, 02:58:35 AM »

"All personnel stand ready. The portal will be opening in two minutes."

Geoffrey Orst's voice echoed throughout the empty halls of the Council's island base. Everyone that needed to hear the announcement was standing within fifteen feet. The rest were...

It wasn't healthy thinking about the rest.

Of the one hundred and seventy five men that the Council had assigned to this mission, only ten, including Orst, had survived. By the standards of any rational combat commander, a ninety percent attrition rate was a complete failure. By the standards of the Council, ninety percent was considered acceptable losses if it furthered their agenda.

"And just what did we accomplish here?" Orst said quietly as he made small adjustments to the time portal's controls.

"What was that Geoff?" asked Zandra from his right.

Orst took a deep breath. "Nothing, Doctor."

"Sounded like a deep personal realization to me. But, what do I know, I'm a Chronologist not a Psychiatrist." She flipped a sequence of switches and mumbled for a moment in Russian before turning away from her console and walking over to stand behind the former Council commander.

"You're alive, Geoff. Use that as a starting point. Whatever it is you did, is done. Everything that happened here had to happen..."

"It didn't," Orst protested.

"It did," Zandra said quietly. "And, no matter how much we might want to change that, it has to stay happened so that other things, more important things, happen." Zandra paused for a moment wondering how much she should say.

"On the day that this portal first opened into Astoria, a girl, about 17 years old, is just finishing her school day and is thinking of nothing more exciting than getting home and watching tv. As she steps onto the platform for the Yellow line, she hears the first screams of people dying and turns back to see Pantheon minions swarming out of a portal. She's overwhelmed with the desire to know what's happening, and why; but before she can run off of the platform, she's caught up in the rush of fleeing people, and she's taken to safety on Talos Island. Because of this, she decides to become a reporter.

Skip ahead to just about a year ago, relative time. The girl, a struggling reporter, finds herself at the center of a plot to overwrite reality. Through a combination of dumb luck and foolish courage, she's part of a group of heroes that thwart the plot and save the lives of hundreds of thousands.

Time Skip again to just a few months ago when that same girl, now a bit older and a bit more successful, but still obsessed with wanting to know what and why, finds herself sneaking into Galaxy City in the aftermath of an alien invasion, and starting a chain of events that results in an Atomic bomb exploding. Because she is there, the bomb explodes several miles offshore instead of in the heart of the City. Because she is there, a million people do not die needlessly.

Time Skip one more time to about five hours ago when that same girl, still obsessively curious and still stupidly lucky, is pulled through a rogue time portal and stumbles upon a joint Council/ Banished Pantheon operation which is sending undead soldiers to Astoria. Because she is there, the operation is stopped before more of the city can be overrun, and many more lives lost."

Zandra paused. He didn't need to know more. He was smart, he'd figure it out. She decided that a quick change of subject was in order.

"Shall we check up with our remote unit,?" she said brightly as she lifted her hand to her ear.

"Breaker, Breaker, this is the Timedoc to the Birdman. Come back, good buddy..."

Onboard the yacht, Ripple Effect, Etherfalcon simply stared at the radio. He couldn't think of a way to respond.

"Go ahead."

"We'll be ready to open the portal in about thirty seconds. Are the repeaters in place?"

"Powered up and on standby."

"Good. Remember, they're makeshift so the time wave is going to make those burn themselves out rather dramatically during the transit. Try to keep everyone away from them. If everything goes as planned you should end up exactly when you left."

"And you?" asked Madam Masada, as she leaned closer to the speaker.

"I've got my own way home, thank you very much. Once you're gone I'll send Orst and his boys through to a good landing place where they can stay out of trouble.And then I'll make this portal eat itself and the island."

"How?" asked Etherfalcon.

Zandra laughed. She'd have been surprised if he hadn't asked.

"It's a well known fact in the time travel community that if you put ranch dressing on top of a time portal then switch it on..."

Masada laughed. "David, you don't need to know."

"There's nothing I don't need to know," Etherfalcon said, smiling. "Professor, it's been good working with you. I'll look forward to our next meeting."

Zandra turned her head and watched the numbers count down. At zero she pressed two buttons and sent a wave of time energy arcing across the island. In the shielded control room the wave went unnoticed but outside, reality wavered.

On board the Ripple Effect, ten impromptu time circuits flashed to life. Their simple programming bent the time energy and arced it around themselves repeatedly until a hole between now and then opened. The transition was far more gentle than the last time the yacht passed through time and the boat and it's crew settled back into the same warm Caribbean waters it left.

As the time energy subsided, the circuits' final programming activated and, in a show of pre-planned fireworks, each one of them destroyed themselves to keep the secret of time travel safe for at least a little while longer.

Back in the past, Five Hundred years previously, Professor Zandra Alexander-Reyalde reset the switches on a time portal in the middle of a Council base, surrounded by an island that wasn't supposed to be there. Standing next to her was Geoffrey Orst, a man who had no idea what was going to become of him.

Zandra believed she could do something about that.

"You know, Geoff, you seem to be looking for work."

"I guess I am."

Zandra smiled a cheshire grin. "Go get your people settled then come on back and talk to me. I think I know people who might be willing to hire a guy looking for a second chance."

"Kenna!" Shouted Etherfalcon. "Has anyone seen Kenna?"

end Company Business.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
afterword
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2014, 03:00:44 AM »

Thanks to everyone who has been following along. I appreciate your time.

'...next year in Atlas Park..."

goodnight everyone.

JWB