Author Topic: Powers System - CoX  (Read 5096 times)

Pinnacle Blue

• Boss
  • Pinnacle Server is best server.
Re: Powers System - CoX
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2013, 04:34:49 PM »
Even if COX came back on today exactly where it left off, still wont be the same unless they could get every single person back in exactly the same spot they were in.

This is completely irrelevant, and it is also completely stupid.  Umm, kudos?
Warshades don't take Alphas.  They give Alphas.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2013, 05:18:59 PM »
This is completely irrelevant, and it is also completely stupid.  Umm, kudos?
Soooooo, it will be exactly the same if they brought it back today? If so, explain how if you can. The way I see it with, even if you think it's stupid, it wont be exactly the same unless it was exactly the same as before. With the devs moved on to other jobs, the chances of them coming back or willing to come back is probably slim, that means different people that probably dont thin kexactly the same in terms of ideas or work or even opinion of game mechanics as Posi and crew. That not even taking into consideration of whether the new people will or have a grasp of how the code and engine works or supposed to work. But seeing how it probably wont happen that everything and everyone will be the exact same as it was before, it's very logical and easy to see, not stupid, that it wont be the same whether the change is small or large for better or worse. But if you think that is stupid, well that is your opinion, and cant do much to change that. AKA, Oh well that you think it's stupid. Deal with it.

Thanks for your "constructive and very insightful" opinion.

Pinnacle Blue

• Boss
  • Pinnacle Server is best server.
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2013, 05:39:47 PM »
Soooooo, it will be exactly the same if they brought it back today? If so, explain how if you can. The way I see it with, even if you think it's stupid, it wont be exactly the same unless it was exactly the same as before. With the devs moved on to other jobs, the chances of them coming back or willing to come back is probably slim, that means different people that probably dont thin kexactly the same in terms of ideas or work or even opinion of game mechanics as Posi and crew. That not even taking into consideration of whether the new people will or have a grasp of how the code and engine works or supposed to work. But seeing how it probably wont happen that everything and everyone will be the exact same as it was before, it's very logical and easy to see, not stupid, that it wont be the same whether the change is small or large for better or worse. But if you think that is stupid, well that is your opinion, and cant do much to change that. AKA, Oh well that you think it's stupid. Deal with it.

Thanks for your "constructive and very insightful" opinion.

You basically said, "Unless the game is the same when it comes back, it won't ever be the same again."  You could have said this literally after every server downtime.  And this would have been a correct thing to say after every issue but completely irrelevant because the game not being the same afterwards is sort of the point of new issues.  Hardly a stunning insight there.

Your point about the devs is also noted and, irrelevant, given how many of them have come and gone over the normal course of the game (Statesman, Castle, Back Alley Brawler, etc.).  And one could make a good case for the fact that when Statesman left it was a good thing that the game wasn't the same.

But by all means: keep filling the forum up with words!
Warshades don't take Alphas.  They give Alphas.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2013, 06:32:30 PM »
You basically said, "Unless the game is the same when it comes back, it won't ever be the same again."  You could have said this literally after every server downtime.  And this would have been a correct thing to say after every issue but completely irrelevant because the game not being the same afterwards is sort of the point of new issues.  Hardly a stunning insight there.

No, that is not what I basically said. That is what you want it to mean and twist it to pick a fight.  What I said is exactly what I said nothing more nothign less. Never claimed it to be a stunning insight either. It was meant to be an obvious observation.

If you want to discuss what I actually said, that is fine. If you want to discuss some made up meaning you assign because someone pissed in your cheerios today, normally I might entertain you but today no. The choice is yours. Take it or leave it.

If you got beef with me, discuss it like mature adult instead of going post to post trying to troll your way into a fight. If there is an issue with me, PM me, state your case and we'll deal with it. But this petty going post to post of mine trying to pick a fight is childish and that is what is actually the stupid part of this. If you choose to not to handle your issue like a mature human, then there is nothing more I can do for you. That is an issue you must live and deal with on your own. I figured you would know this but time and time agian, you have shown either you dont know, or dont want to know and I dont know which is the case or what is your problem or what you are going through or what not so to make sure I'm making myself clear I said it. Now that you know...it's in your hands now on which path you choose. Choose the less mature way, then you are on your own from here. Choose the proper way, the PM button is waiting. 

But on the subject, yes it wont be the same and as I also said for better or worse. Obvious or not. What I said is exactly what I meant, there is nothing cryptic or anything to decipher.

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2013, 06:57:52 PM »
I am sure that whoever is working to make a playable COH client will do their utmost have it function as close to the original as possible. With that said there's no doubt there will be differences. I mean the store alone would be completely superfluous unless you were charging money which is something I wouldnt expect to see when trying to avoid legal action. So that right there is a difference.

Putting npc's in their proper places is easy. I'm pretty sure the client maps have coordinates for the npcs. Isn't that how Codewalker was able to put NPC's into ICON zones for us? Those markers are in our client so getting stuff where it should be doesn't seem like an issue. It's getting the nitty gritty mechanics working right that will prolly be the hard part. Like cutscenes... or npcs that are supposed to follow you! Stuff like that is where I'd expect issues to come up.

Expecting any resurrected COH to be identical is just unrealistic. But I am confident that if Codewalker was able to do what he did with ICON that those working on getting the client running will do a spiffy job at making it work as close as possible to the way it used to. It may not be identical but if done right it can be close enough that the differences won't matter.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 08:02:49 PM »
On that note, regarding the Segs modified game client, Is it single player only? Was there an online component added?
At the present you really get more functionality out of Icon than out of SEGS in its current state - it's a one man project for the most part IIRC, so hardly unexpected.
if you want an idea... SEGS is the only public effort to relaunch the game. (there are others, but they are being held in private) SEGS was originally started way back in 2008, but was shelved, and only restarted when the closure was announced in August of 2012.
I recall that SEGS is derived from (or outright used to be) CoHEmu, and that started around... 2006-ish I think? Pretty sure the C&D was dated 2007.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2013, 09:45:04 PM »
I am sure that whoever is working to make a playable COH client will do their utmost have it function as close to the original as possible. With that said there's no doubt there will be differences. I mean the store alone would be completely superfluous unless you were charging money which is something I wouldnt expect to see when trying to avoid legal action. So that right there is a difference.

Putting npc's in their proper places is easy. I'm pretty sure the client maps have coordinates for the npcs. Isn't that how Codewalker was able to put NPC's into ICON zones for us? Those markers are in our client so getting stuff where it should be doesn't seem like an issue. It's getting the nitty gritty mechanics working right that will prolly be the hard part. Like cutscenes... or npcs that are supposed to follow you! Stuff like that is where I'd expect issues to come up.

Expecting any resurrected COH to be identical is just unrealistic. But I am confident that if Codewalker was able to do what he did with ICON that those working on getting the client running will do a spiffy job at making it work as close as possible to the way it used to. It may not be identical but if done right it can be close enough that the differences won't matter.

Exactly.