Author Topic: Looking for computer version of board game  (Read 1889 times)

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
Looking for computer version of board game
« on: October 16, 2013, 10:59:30 PM »
Lately, I've been enjoying Hunting Unlimited 2010 (except for getting attacked by wild boars and wolves, mauled by cougars and lions, and trampled by buffalo and elephants). Walking across the landscape in that game reminded me of playing an Avalon Hill board game called Outdoor Survival. (They didn't do family board games like Scrabble or Monopoly; theirs were simulations, as accurate as they could get them while keeping them playable.) In it, you were stranded in the wilderness, and had to forage for food and water, avoid hazards and dangerous animals, and find/build shelter, all the while trying to get to safety. Does anyone know of an outdoor-survival computer simulation?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 11:04:50 PM by Super Firebug »
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
Re: Looking for computer version of board game
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 11:25:44 PM »
This game has always been a hit when it comes to survival in the out-of-doors.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 12:14:10 AM »
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 05:59:39 AM »
Have you checked this out?  Wilderness:A Survival Game
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 08:31:51 AM »
Healix, that's exactly the type of game I'm looking for, although, having been released in 1985, I dread finding out how badly it'd run on a PC today - if it runs at all, being way before 64-bit. It'd be great if someone published an updated version. The New-Guinea cannibals sound like an interesting, and unusual, danger to deal with.

I'm not sure how close the others are, but, since UnReal World looks to be free, I could try it at no cost. In addition, Moonbase Alpha (mentioned on the same PC Gamer list) will get a tryout, once NASA re-open their website. Having played Outpost 2 some time back, I've wanted a space-survival game that DIDN'T include enemies attacking.

Thanks for the leads, all. If anyone else has any, feel free to offer them.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 08:18:19 AM »
I didn't find it at this site GOG, although there are many cool games for really great prices. Have you checked out The Forest? (it is a horror survival game.) Here is  the trailer.  And these

Stranded

No Return (coming in December)

Moby Games - survival

Hope this leads to finding the game you want...good luck!

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

goodtime

• Boss
    • my videos
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 02:03:43 PM »
I've seen some posts about Don't Starve on a gaming forum.  It sounded like quite a challenge.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 08:49:11 PM »
Lately, I've been enjoying Hunting Unlimited 2010 (except for getting attacked by wild boars and wolves, mauled by cougars and lions, and trampled by buffalo and elephants). Walking across the landscape in that game reminded me of playing an Avalon Hill board game called Outdoor Survival. (They didn't do family board games like Scrabble or Monopoly; theirs were simulations, as accurate as they could get them while keeping them playable.) In it, you were stranded in the wilderness, and had to forage for food and water, avoid hazards and dangerous animals, and find/build shelter, all the while trying to get to safety. Does anyone know of an outdoor-survival computer simulation?
Robinson's Requiem does that. IIRC you can buy it on GOG.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.