Author Topic: Icon troubleshooting?  (Read 8592 times)

gradeonmagus

• Underling
Icon troubleshooting?
« on: October 11, 2013, 03:08:45 AM »
Hey all, I just downloaded Icon a few minutes ago and when I try to load it, it just hangs at the Loading screen (the blue bar) and nothing ever actually loads. If I try to close it with task manager, it says it failed to load due to my video card when I never had such trouble when the game was actually active. I'm not quite sure what other information there is to give and any help would be appreciated.

Mandrake

• Boss
Re: Icon troubleshooting?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 03:05:29 PM »
Not really enough information to go on.

I could suggest trying to running it as Administrator.
Make sure it is the root folder (same folder as cityofheroes.exe) of your CoH install.
Double clicking on the Icon.exe and not a shortcut (just in case you have one set up) from within the folder.

Any specific errors in the message it gives you?
Anything changed recently on  your system? Drivers? Hardware? Software? Since you last successfully launched the game

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 06:31:59 PM »
A different issue, but maybe you guys can help:

When loading the Kallisti Wharf map (and thanks for the map popup! That's awesome), I just get a floating in the sky screen. I know I have the i24 beta version installed (the Corsair costume pieces are available, as well as the i24 powersets like Bio-Armor, etc.), but I don't seem to be able to load the Kallist Wharf maps. I'm wondering if I need to redirect the map somehow to the i24 version of CoH? Not sure. Any help would be appreciated!

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 07:07:11 PM »

When loading the Kallisti Wharf map (and thanks for the map popup! That's awesome), I just get a floating in the sky screen. I know I have the i24 beta version installed (the Corsair costume pieces are available, as well as the i24 powersets like Bio-Armor, etc.), but I don't seem to be able to load the Kallist Wharf maps. I'm wondering if I need to redirect the map somehow to the i24 version of CoH? Not sure. Any help would be appreciated!

You gotta fly there yourself.

Turn on no clip (F4) and map dev (F5).

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Titan_Icon#Developer_Commands

With no clip and map dev on, fly around a bit till you find the war walls.

Shouldn't be hard, then you can fly right through the war walls into the city zone proper.

As for the person who started this thread, gonna need more info on your PC/specs in general, etc.

:)
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

PSI-on

• Ψ
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 08:30:02 PM »
Just for the record I know for a fact I'm still on i23, but I still have access to the Corsair costumes pieces and Bio-Armor, the were in the code in the back ground in i23 at least if not earlier.  So in case that has any bearing that might be it. Otherwise what I like about the Google file list is that some of them have X,Y, and Z's listed on it, in those cases it's usually where the map is located on those weird ones that load up to a big blue sky. F3, I think, helps you see and move yourself in a X,Y, and Z fashion. That's how I found the map with nothing but a small patch of trees. :)

Please don't send blind requests in games to me, I learned to ignore them in CoX, no offense meant. (this is only here until I can figure out how to put it in my actual profile on here.)

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 05:51:40 AM »
Okay, I still can't see it, so I'm thinking it has something to do with the i23/i24 thing. I know I had both installed (because I played on the Beta server quite a bit before the... end), so perhaps I just need to redirect Icon to point to the Beta/i24 version? I'm not sure if/how to do that, though.

PSI-on

• Ψ
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 02:44:46 PM »
Well, since you just drop the Icon exe into the CoH folder to access the live client, I imagine you'd drop the Icon exe into the beta client folder to get into that. Remember when you set that up you were supposed to make it a completely separate thing.

Okay, I still can't see it, so I'm thinking it has something to do with the i23/i24 thing. I know I had both installed (because I played on the Beta server quite a bit before the... end), so perhaps I just need to redirect Icon to point to the Beta/i24 version? I'm not sure if/how to do that, though.
Please don't send blind requests in games to me, I learned to ignore them in CoX, no offense meant. (this is only here until I can figure out how to put it in my actual profile on here.)

PSI-on

• Ψ
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 02:53:04 PM »
Looking back on it, that info is still true but a bit old. The test server since they had added the NCSoft launcher is located in THAT folder, under it's own name like it would have been before, it's just now instead of being it's own folder among all your other stuff, it's now a subfolder inside the NCSoft Launcher among all your other programs.

Well, since you just drop the Icon exe into the CoH folder to access the live client, I imagine you'd drop the Icon exe into the beta client folder to get into that. Remember when you set that up you were supposed to make it a completely separate thing.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 03:18:43 PM »
Back in the day, when I installed the Beta client, they gave me a choice of where to install it.

It created the folder "CoH Beta" or some such.

By the way, jsmill, what do you see when you back out of Icon to the old login screen? (which is possible)

If you see a creepy smile and floating face/head in the background, that's I24 beta.

If you don't see a creepy smile and floating face/head in the background, that's not I24.

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 06:39:17 AM »
You're right; the beta download was located in a separate folder. That's the reason icon is directing me to the i23 version (and the reason I'm seeing the Shadowhunter vs. Penny loading screen, as opposed to the Marauder/Center one).

Thanks, guys! I'll make the switch and see, but I'm pretty sure that's it.

Mewkychan

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 04:45:38 AM »
I have ICON.exe up and running and looks good so far, but have two questions about accomplishing some things in CoH.

First, I cannot seem to get screenshots in the costume designer or final character creation screen. Trying to do that leads to pasting an all-black screenshot of the proper size in Paint. Is there any way to fix this?

If I am in a game map, how can I spin the camera around to look into my characters' faces, instead of the backs of their heads.

N.B. Both of these problems existed before the shutdown.

Thanks!

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 01:59:30 PM »
I use ICON in windowed mode and have no issue taking screen shots. Maybe try that?

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 02:56:36 PM »
First, I cannot seem to get screenshots in the costume designer or final character creation screen. Trying to do that leads to pasting an all-black screenshot of the proper size in Paint. Is there any way to fix this?

If I am in a game map, how can I spin the camera around to look into my characters' faces, instead of the backs of their heads.

N.B. Both of these problems existed before the shutdown.
1. Use a proper screenshot capture tool. MWSnap works for me.
2. Page Up and Page Down IIRC. One while held enables camera movement around your character and one resets the view. There's also... F2 I think? for completely free-floating camera.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Mewkychan

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 08:39:42 PM »
Thanks very much for the info!

However, I don't think I'll be using Icon much. When I set up a character and go outside, there's nothing there. It's too sad to wander deserted streets filled with NPC statues.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 08:44:46 PM by Mewkychan »

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 09:16:56 PM »

However, I don't think I'll be using Icon much. When I set up a character and go outside, there's nothing there. It's too sad to wander deserted streets filled with NPC statues.

Who says there's nothing there?

How 'bout starting a dance party in the streets, with GMs and signature characters?

You can even set up boombox music and etc, last I checked.

Plus, you can even live an "NPC life", by changing your model to theirs.

Be a jet, fly around!

Just my suggestions.

batqueen

• Boss
  • [flap flap]
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 07:35:38 AM »

Try the menus, like this one here: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,8861.0.html
Arachnion is right, You'd be surprised what you can do.
It's how I fill the city up again. Other menus contain animations, and change the time of day. Rule your city!

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2013, 08:13:44 PM »
it may also be to your display settings. try switching from Full Screen mode to Windowed mode, or toggle ULTRA mode on or off, or vice versa. (this works in CO, which uses a similar rendering structure)

And again always make sure you have up to date drivers installed from your video card manufacturer/mainboard manufacturer. I know I can use ICON and get screen shots just fine with PRNT SCR or ALT+PRNT SCR in windows 7, but your mileage may vary
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Tacitala

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 02:31:29 AM »
Be a jet, fly around!

Jet, smet.  Be the Atlas blimp.

You could also use it to do a series of screenshots to tell your main's back story.
"And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice."
- Princess Fiona of Amber

Mewkychan

• Underling
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 12:04:36 AM »
How can I change graphics from Full-Screen to Windowed mode? I was looking for a checkbox in the Options and can't see it.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2013, 12:31:59 AM »
How can I change graphics from Full-Screen to Windowed mode? I was looking for a checkbox in the Options and can't see it.

It is near the top, should be "Screen Resolution".

It is a drop down box, you click it and it gives more options.

You want the ones with (Windowed) in the name or such.

Mewkychan

• Underling
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2013, 02:36:52 AM »
It is near the top, should be "Screen Resolution".

It is a drop down box, you click it and it gives more options.

You want the ones with (Windowed) in the name or such.

AH! Thank you kitty! (Offers fresh tuna and catnip-flavored white chocolate mousie with red and green holdiay sprinkles.)

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2013, 03:28:06 PM »
AH! Thank you kitty! (Offers fresh tuna and catnip-flavored white chocolate mousie with red and green holdiay sprinkles.)

Hooray!

You're welcome.

*eats happily*

;D

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2013, 03:45:49 AM »
I figured out how to turn "fly" on  (  /fly ),  but how do I turn it off again?

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2013, 07:36:31 AM »
Same. The command is a toggle IIRC
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Bakumaster

• Underling
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 07:12:50 PM »
I downloaded Icon through Tequila, but when I run it, the resolution defaults to 640x400 and with it so small, I can't change it. Help?

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2014, 05:06:27 AM »
FWIW, on a windows machine, pressing alt and enter will toggle full screen/windows mode.