Author Topic: Arrow Season 2  (Read 13033 times)

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: Arrow Season 2
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2013, 07:03:45 PM »

Spoiler for Hidden:
Oliver gets his mask, and, after teasing us with the possibility of a particle-accelerator origin, they go with the canon, Barry Allen origin (more or less; I think the PA-explosion wave might have contributed).

There were tears in this traditionalist's eyes. If I were built for it, I would have been happy-dancing. Can't wait for the next episodes, and I have high hope for the Flash series, if the same people are behind it.

By the way, did anyone else notice that the names Oliver (Queen) and Laurel (Lance) seem to form a sort of homage to (Stan) Laurel and Oliver (Hardy), the great comedy-film duo? Or am I just too old?

(edited to, finally, add the spoiler tag.)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 12:22:34 AM by Super Firebug »
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2013, 07:13:21 PM »
Too old, methinks. Laurel is a name borrowed from the comics, but that version of Black Canary didn't appear until the '80s in the comic books, according to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Canary And Laurel was her middle name. So I think it'd be a pretty convoluted tribute, no matter if it was intended in the comics or the series.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2013, 11:05:36 AM »
SPOILER ALERT - THIS IS YOUR ONLY WARNING.

Spoiler tags are enabled on this forum. :)

More after the tag!

Spoiler for Hidden:
I think the PA-explosion wave might have contributed).

I think it did! In the scene, you can see chemicals rising up out their jars and beakers after the PA shockwave passes through Barry's lab, but before the lightning strikes. The lightning, the chemicals, and the explosion worked in concert to create the Flash.

I suspect they did this because "lightning strikes beakers!" would seem too corny to modern audiences. The accelerator adds another layer of confluence by way of a machine that is still very new and nebulous to modern audiences. "If the particle accelerator has a meltdown, will it create a black hole???" is a question that the general public was actually asking about the LHC not too long ago lol.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2013, 01:29:32 PM »
For me it was definitely the best Arrow yet and despite Agents of Shield getting all the hype, this is the best superhero show on TV right now. I'd love it if WB/DC would realize this and tie it into their cinematic universe, but I doubt they're smart enough for that.

I was REALLY surprised to see The Flash's origin scene, especially since last we heard his introduction as the Flash has been moved from an upcoming episode of Arrow to its own premiere next fall. Yes, a Flash TV show has been the plan all along but they were going to completely introduce him on Arrow, costume and all. Last I heard they had decided to postpone his full intro to his own pilot. I'm REALLY not looking forward to waiting until next fall to see that Flash, they've done an excellent job building his backstory and the actor is fantastic.

And for the real spoiler!

Spoiler for Hidden:
DEATHSTRROOOOOKE! Older Slade looks spot on perfect, can't wait to see him suit up, woot!

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2013, 07:32:02 PM »
I'd love it if WB/DC would realize this and tie it into their cinematic universe, but I doubt they're smart enough for that.

It's my understanding that they've always been weird about mixing different versions of characters. There was a time when Batman stuff wasn't allowed to be in the animated series (http://dcanimated.wikia.com/wiki/Bat-embargo).

The biggest issue with tying this series in is the fact that it seems to me to have started almost as a Batman knock off - very dark & gritty, and using many people / places from Batman (Ras al Ghul, Solomon Grundy, etc.). Almost like they just wanted to cash in on the realist, dark tone of Batman Begins trilogy, but couldn't actually use Batman.

My thoughts for the accelerator being used in the origin is that it allows for an entire city of super-powered people to arise. The Flash needs meta human adversaries, after all.

I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2013, 09:04:46 PM »
I'd love it if WB/DC would realize this and tie it into their cinematic universe[/spoiler]

You mean add Batman to it?
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2013, 04:48:07 AM »
For me it was definitely the best Arrow yet and despite Agents of Shield getting all the hype, this is the best superhero show on TV right now. I'd love it if WB/DC would realize this and tie it into their cinematic universe, but I doubt they're smart enough for that.

I was REALLY surprised to see The Flash's origin scene, especially since last we heard his introduction as the Flash has been moved from an upcoming episode of Arrow to its own premiere next fall. Yes, a Flash TV show has been the plan all along but they were going to completely introduce him on Arrow, costume and all. Last I heard they had decided to postpone his full intro to his own pilot. I'm REALLY not looking forward to waiting until next fall to see that Flash, they've done an excellent job building his backstory and the actor is fantastic.

And for the real spoiler!

Spoiler for Hidden:
DEATHSTRROOOOOKE! Older Slade looks spot on perfect, can't wait to see him suit up, woot!

Well it may be a while before the effects ... well come into effect.  And of course we would need the origin of the suit.  I could see them play up him shredding his clothes due to his speed in the "origin" episode.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2013, 11:38:15 PM »
Well it may be a while before the effects ... well come into effect.  And of course we would need the origin of the suit.  I could see them play up him shredding his clothes due to his speed in the "origin" episode.

That all depends , I think on how close they stick to the comics and how much they try to come up with slightly more realistic explinations for the things the Flash can do.  In the comics (for the most part, not counting his speed force suit) his costume is just that, a costume. There's nothing special about it.  Its not what protects him from the affects of moving that fast, that's part of his powers. It protects him, and what he's wearing or carrying from air friction,tiny bits floating around.  Its all part of the speed force. Although before the introduction of the Speed Force, it was just a "field" around his body.  Its also why he doesn't exactly obey the laws of inertia, and why he's able to move someone or something at such speeds and not just shred them.

In the comics Barry was able to do some neat things with his speed that Wally never could (or at least didn't known how). Barry could lend his speed to things when he touched them. He could make something match his speed through touching it, not pushing or pulling it, but transferring his speed to the object.  I always took that as an unspoken way he interacted with things like the vending machine someone mentioned earlier. Or when he enters combinations into a keypad.  They keypad could never keep up with how fast he's shown entering codes.

Now its probably wishful thinking that they'll bring up the speed force at all, but I think it'd be easier to gloss over some of those details instead of trying to come with some realworld explinationl
Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2013, 01:45:49 AM »
Eventually Wally became Flash Ex Machina via the Speed Force which is one of the reasons I intensely dislike the Speed Force concept.

Last year, when the "Gods Among Us" fighting game came out, they had Geoff Johns (I believe) on Facebook predicting a fight between Superman and Flash with Flash wining due to his being able to do things Superman couldn't like travel faster than the speed of light, move across dimensions on his own power, travel in time ... essentially all the powers that Superman USED to have in an effort to make him easier to write.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2013, 01:57:29 AM »
I was raised on the Flash that kept his costume in some super compressed form in his ring.  Of course I don't expect that but I do expect some other reason for the suit to be "special".

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2013, 09:37:34 PM »
I was raised on the Flash that kept his costume in some super compressed form in his ring.  Of course I don't expect that but I do expect some other reason for the suit to be "special".

The conversation about the paint vs. mask involved "compressed fabric". I'm pretty sure we'll get a ring.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2014, 05:33:35 PM »
A thought just occurred to me. Superheroes tend to find out about their powers when they start manifesting accidentally and causing problems. I hope Barry's don't flare up when he's brushing his teeth. His dentist will accuse him of using a belt sander on them.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2014, 08:21:34 PM »
Regarding last week's episode...

Spoiler for Hidden:
So, a vehicle is built to military specs to be impervious to explosives, and the outside can be destroyed by an arrowhead-sized explosive from the inside?
Oookay, someone wasn't paying attention. But the show still has me eagerly anticipating each new episode.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2014, 05:00:31 AM »
Regarding last week's episode...

Spoiler for Hidden:
So, a vehicle is built to military specs to be impervious to explosives, and the outside can be destroyed by an arrowhead-sized explosive from the inside?
Oookay, someone wasn't paying attention. But the show still has me eagerly anticipating each new episode.

Spoiler for Hidden:
Let's assume the arrowhead-sized explosive (which was like 4+ inches long) released the energy building up in the earthquake device.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2014, 05:27:07 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
Let's assume the arrowhead-sized explosive (which was like 4+ inches long) released the energy building up in the earthquake device.
Spoiler for Hidden:
Or the container was designed to withstand pressure pushing in, not pressure pushing out.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2014, 09:43:18 PM »
I finally placed who Paul Blackthorne (Det. Lance) reminds me of. I was watching "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" yesterday, and, in the scene right before Dobbs shoots Curtin, when Dobbs is ranting, I realized that, from the upper lip to the chin, Humphrey Bogart and Blackthorne looked a lot alike. Trying to place what was familiar about Blackthorne was bad enough when he was on "Burn Notice", but, with the beard stubble, his being on "Arrow" was really getting to me. I'm glad that's settled.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2014, 11:44:45 PM »
I finally placed who Paul Blackthorne (Det. Lance) reminds me of. I was watching "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" yesterday, and, in the scene right before Dobbs shoots Curtin, when Dobbs is ranting, I realized that, from the upper lip to the chin, Humphrey Bogart and Blackthorne looked a lot alike. Trying to place what was familiar about Blackthorne was bad enough when he was on "Burn Notice", but, with the beard stubble, his being on "Arrow" was really getting to me. I'm glad that's settled.

He was also Harry Dresden in the short run Dresden Files series on SciFi (before it was SyFy).

Oh and Arrow has been renewed for a 3rd season.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2014, 12:21:02 AM »
Voice cameo in tonight's episode...

Spoiler for Hidden:
I totally geeked out at hearing Harley Quinn's voice, coming from a nearby cell, offering to counsel Diggle and Lyla!

That was brilliant! I love this show! I wonder what Waller's planning to use THAT one for!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 01:03:17 AM by Super Firebug »

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2014, 01:07:09 AM »
Voice cameo in tonight's episode...

Spoiler for Hidden:
I totally geeked out at hearing Harley Quinn's voice, coming from a nearby cell, offering to counsel Diggle and Lyla!

That was brilliant! I love this show! I wonder what Waller's planning to use THAT one for!

Me too, that was cool. Dethstroke just looks sick.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2014, 10:41:46 PM »
Firefox has a plug-in that lets you capture streaming video. I found, and got a copy of, a 26-second YouTube clip of that voice cameo, and I'm not tired of it yet. :)