Author Topic: So how do you make animations such as energy torrent, etc ?  (Read 14152 times)

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
So how do you make animations such as energy torrent, etc ?
« on: October 08, 2013, 04:59:07 AM »
I see character animations in the /mov commands but how do you make the effects work. Like the actual energy shooting from hands, etc? I have an idea for an animation series based off my characters but I can't even do fights and stuff if only hand and feet and emote animations work. I need the *BANG* *ZOOM* explosions etc.

Phaetan

• Elite Boss
Re: So how do you make animations such as energy torrent, etc ?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 09:32:55 AM »
Some, but not all of the effects are summonable objects that can be spawned like regular NPCs.  Those can be called out and positioned appropriately.  It's not perfect, but with some creativity, you can get decent approximations that way.  The Animus Arcana,, an NPC group from Night Ward who are living spells, are particularly useful in this regard.

wyldhunt

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 03:19:44 PM »
Some toggle powers also have .FX files which can be directly referenced in the .costume files and will display appropriately. I'll try to remember to write and post exactly how to do this (and its caveats) later today. Also, I'm very, very intrigued by what happens when an avatar enters to fire pits in the Crucible. Try it out...
Wyldhunt
Guardianite since I2
Playing as Wyldhaunt on Rebirth

wyldhunt

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 11:50:20 PM »
Alright, here we go...

First, a screenshot of The Amber Fist with all of his Tanker Defense Electric Armor toggles on: Charged Armor, Lightning Field, Conductive Shield, and Static Shield. The toggles shown are color-customized.

Yeah, the screenshot doesn't show much of his armor/shields, however I'm not taking the time to make a animated vid/gif of this right now - trust me, they're present in Icon.

How did I do this? Like so:

1. Make a normal .costume file.
2. Make a copy of the .costume file.
3. Research powers.bin fxinfo.bin for the toggle powers I wanted. (E.g.: powers/ElectricityControl/ChargedArmor.fx for Electric Armor Charged Armor.)
4. Test each possible fx individually, like so:
4.1. Find an unused CostumePart FX entry in the copied .costume file, by searching within the copied .costume file for "Fx none," and making sure that the Geometry/Texture lines also have "none" in their entries (otherwise, you could overwrite another part of your costume).
4.2: Replace the "none" after "Fx " with the name of the .fx I want to use. (E.g.: "Fx powers/ElectricityControl/ChargedArmor.fx").
4.3: Save the changes in the new .costume file.
4.4: Fire up Icon, and while in a zone (NOT in the character creator as Icon will abend), /load_costume with the new file. If the .fx shows up, great! Otherwise (likely Icon abends), repeat from 4.1.
5. After each .fx is tested, use the Color1 and Color2 lines in the .costume file to customize the color of each power. Remember to save changes and test. Also remember that .costume file colors are BGR rather than RGB (reference http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Costume_file for .costume file details).

Here are the .fx references I used for The Amber Fist:
Charged Armor: powers/ElectricityControl/ChargedArmor.fx
Lightning Field: powers/ElectricityControl/Red_LightningField.fx
Conductive Shield: POWERS/ELECTRICITYCONTROL/RED_JACOBSELECTRICITYSHIELD.FX
Static Shield: powers/ElectricityControl/ElectricityArmorStaticShield.fx

It is highly likely that there is a more efficient and sensible way to determine the .fx references for powers, however I have not spent enough time diving into the piggs to discern what that is. If someone else knows this information, please share!
Wyldhunt
Guardianite since I2
Playing as Wyldhaunt on Rebirth

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 08:28:35 PM »
Fantastic!
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Garble

• Boss
  • Shy Weirdo
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 10:23:58 PM »
Has anyone found the other fx references?

I'd love to be able to add Fire Armor and Peacebringer toggles to some costumes.

goodtime

• Boss
    • my videos
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 03:35:49 AM »
You might try here:  Scuzzbopper's reference

and/or existing threads here for specific FX Demo Recording child board

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 07:30:41 PM »
I have a text dump of the FX Info from the Beta files, but... it's not organized well.. at all.

So unless you wanna dig through this, or I/someone can get you a cleaner version, yeah....

Probably best to use Scuzzbopper's, though his place is rather outdated by now, data wise.

Excerpt:
Code: [Select]
(fx/AnimatedCharacterParts/5th_missile.fxWg?4fx/AnimatedCharacterParts/Cherib_WingsFeatherFall.FxYlD)fx/AnimatedCharacterParts/FeatherBurst.fxmD0fx/AnimatedCharacterParts/FeatherBurst_Cherib.fxYlD,fx/AnimatedCharacterParts/PistonJumpBoots.fx\F(fx/AnimatedCharacterParts/RocketBoots.fx&}D-fx/AnimatedCharacterParts/SpeedBootStreaks.fxxBF%fx/AnimatedCharacterParts/Sprocket.fx`K-fx/AnimatedCharacterParts/Sprocket_Vet_Pet.fx`K(fx/AnimatedCharacterParts/SprocketKey.fx`K(fx/AnimatedCharacterParts/WingedBoots.fx~kD-fx/AnimatedCharacterParts/WingsFeatherFall.Fx mD(fx/Auras/Female/Alpha/Alpha_Body_Male.fx(
L/fx/Auras/Female/Alpha/Alpha_Body_Male_Combat.fxL0fx/Auras/Female/Alpha/Alpha_BodyAndChest_Male.fxSL/fx/Auras/Female/Alpha/Alpha_BodyAndEyes_Male.fx7M6fx/Auras/Female/Alpha/Alpha_BodyAndEyes_Male_Combat.fx7M0fx/Auras/Female/Alpha/Alpha_BodyAndFists_Male.fx L)fx/Auras/Female/Alpha/Alpha_Chest_Male.fxL0fx/Auras/Female/Alpha/Alpha_Chest_Male_Combat.fxL0fx/Auras/Female/Alpha/Alpha_ChestAndEyes_Male.fx7M7fx/Auras/Female/Alpha/Alpha_ChestAndEyes_Male_Combat.fx7M(fx/Auras/Female/Alpha/Alpha_Eyes_Male.fx7M/fx/Auras/Female/Alpha/Alpha_Eyes_Male_Combat.fx7M)fx/Auras/Female/Alpha/Alpha_FistL_Male.fxjF7M0fx/Auras/Female/Alpha/Alpha_FistL_Male_Combat.fxL)fx/Auras/Female/Alpha/Alpha_FistR_Male.fxlF7M0fx/Auras/Female/Alpha/Alpha_FistR_Male_Combat.fx7L)
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

Garble

• Boss
  • Shy Weirdo
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 01:13:24 AM »
Thanks guys!!

I tried some of the fx references from the Scuzzbopper link and couldn't resist experimenting.

Fire Walker living up to his name again

You can add weapons by adding fx to the costume if you don't mind them holding the weapons at all times. This is the bone saw

Went crazy here. Yes, that's a redcap on his head pounding away, and he's colorized. There was also a confetti explosion that happened when I loaded this costume. I might experiment with some of the OneShot fx

This has the patriot jetpack and Mirror Spirit's mirror armor. Those mirrors were persistent. They stuck on my model after I loaded a different costume.

Like here when I added Makko's waterspout to my aquatic character. Those mirrors aren't part of the costume fx they are just left over from the previous one. They follow you too.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 01:45:20 AM »
Cool stuff, man.

Fire Walker and your aquatic character look great.

:D

Garble

• Boss
  • Shy Weirdo
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 04:56:07 AM »
Thanks!

So I tested putting a OneShot fx into a costume (POWERS/FIRECONTROL/BEAST_FLAMINGBREATH.FX) and found that when you /loadcostume the power animation triggers (though not the model's corresponding animation, he just stands there). If you load the costume again the effect triggers again, even if the model already has that costume.

So if you were really determined to make a power animation happen, I think you could load the power effect you want into a specific costume then make a macro that triggers the mov that goes with the power execution, and loads the costume again.

Garble

• Boss
  • Shy Weirdo
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 01:13:08 AM »
Update!

So I experimented some more and found a way to sort of execute power animations.
First I edited a costume file and added a OneShot fx from scuzzbopper's list (in this case (POWERS/COSMICPOWERS/PEACEBRINGER/XRAYBEAM/XRAYBEAM.FX) to one of the empty fx spots and named the costume "FXtest"
Then I entered the game and loaded the costume. When the costume loads the oneshot fx triggers its animation once and then ends.
Then I made a macro called "Blast" that has a mov animation and re-loads the same costume again so the fx will trigger again. (/macro "blast" "mov mouth$$loadcostume fxtest")

And Success!!

With a catch...

I had assumed that without a target the fx for a click power would simply shoot straight ahead like it does in the preview in the costume creator. But for some reason, it picks a specific spot near the center of the map and the fx shoots at that spot every time.

No matter which way you are facing...

...and no matter where you are on the map.

So there is a way to make a power animation work by editing it into an existing costume and then loading that costume when you want it to fire... but it is still extremely limited.

Garble

• Boss
  • Shy Weirdo
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 12:38:26 AM »
Playing around a little more I confirmed that every power fires to the same spot. There doesn't appear to be a reason for that spot. In Atlas Park it's always across the street and to the left from Ms. Liberty. In other maps the target spot is under a building and in some maps it's off the map entirely.

I discovered that POWERS/GRAVITYCONTROL/GCPROPEL1.FX generates debris just as it did in the game and that debris still has a physical presence that can be knocked around. I placed a bumper npc at the target spot and found that the anti-gravity effect of the bumper still influences the debris from propel.

Throw junk at the spot and it bounces away.

The debris will also react to other power effects such as energy blast. I placed a piece of debris (a gargoyle) between my character and the target point.

And clicked my macro to reload the costume and activate the character animation.

And I can actually blast the statue.

Could anyone who understands code explain why the one-shot effects always go to that spot?

If there were somehow a way to move or reassign that spot there'd be a lot more possibilities for demos and screenshots.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 08:05:18 AM »
Could anyone who understands code explain why the one-shot effects always go to that spot?
I have a guess.
If I understand, you're adding that power to costume FX without providing it target coordinates.
Check the coordinates of that spot for several maps. I expect them to be 0,0,0 .
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Garble

• Boss
  • Shy Weirdo
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 12:20:25 AM »
You are correct.

It make sense but I didn't even think of that because I assumed 0,0,0 would usually be center-ish in most maps.

Is there a way to control the targeting somehow?

Takinalis

• Boss
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 02:11:05 PM »
@Arachnion
I would love your garbled data file.
Valkyrie Blade - Virtue Server

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 07:25:12 PM »
@Arachnion
I would love your garbled data file.

Sorry, I can't seem to find it now.

If I ever do find it again (my system is a mess), I'll PM it to you.

:(

Takinalis

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 02:43:48 AM »
List of Non-Character Custom Melee Weapons (can be added to FX lines in costume files)
Code: [Select]
ENEMYFX/PRAETORIAN/BATTLEMAIDEN/BMSWORD.FX
POWERS/COLDCONTROL/GREATERICESWORD.FX
V_COV/WEAPONS/GREATICEBLADE.FX
POWERS/FIRECONTROL/FIREWEAPON2.FX
POWERS/FIRECONTROL/FIREWEAPON3.FX
V_COV/ENEMYPOWERS/ARCHVILLAINS/SCIROCCO/SCIROCCO_SWORD.FX
WEAPONS/KOA_SWORD.FX
WEAPONS/NECROMANCY_MAGICALSWORD.FX
WEAPONS/NECROMANCY_RUSTYSWORD_RUSTY.FX
WEAPONS/NECROMANCY_SWORD.FX
WEAPONS/RIKTI_SWORD_01.FX
WEAPONS/RIKTI_SWORD_02.FX
WEAPONS/RIKTI_SWORD_03.FX
WEAPONS/SWORD_RAPIER.FX
WEAPONS/SWORD_SCIMITAR.FX
WEAPONS/SWORD.FX
WEAPONS/THORN_SWORD_1.FX
WEAPONS/THORN_SWORD_2.FX
WEAPONS/WAVEY_SWORD.FX
WEAPONS/BONESAW.FX
WEAPONS/MACHETE.FX
WEAPONS/RAPIER_COS.FX

V_COV/POWERS/NINJAS/FIRE_KATANA.FX
WEAPONS/KATANA_LEFT.FX
WEAPONS/KATANA.FX
WEAPONS/NINJA_KATANA_LEFT.FX
V_COV/WEAPONS/DUAL_PICKAXES.FX

ENEMYFX/PRAETORIAN/INFERNAL/INFERNALAXE.FX
WEAPONS/AXE2.FX
WEAPONS/MEDIEVAL_AXE_1.FX
WEAPONS/MEDIEVAL_AXE_2.FX

WEAPONS/MACE_1.FX
V_COV/WEAPONS/GEO_WEPR_ARACHNOS_BOSSMACE_HEAVY.FX
V_COV/WEAPONS/GEO_WEPR_ARACHNOS_MACE_01.FX
V_COV/WEAPONS/GEO_WEPR_ARACHNOS_MACE_HEAVY.FX
V_COV/WEAPONS/GEO_WEPR_ARACHNOS_MAGESTICMACE_HEAVY.FX

POWERS/CLAWS/CLAWS.FX
V_COV/WEAPONS/ARACHNOS_CLAWS.FX

V_COV/WEAPONS/BONE_CLUB.FX
V_COV/WEAPONS/CORAL_CLUB.FX
V_COV/WEAPONS/CORAL_HAMMER.FX
V_COV/WEAPONS/CORAL_MALLET.FX
V_COV/WEAPONS/LONG_SHOVEL.FX
V_COV/WEAPONS/SHILLELAGH.FX
WEAPONS/BASEBALL_BAT.FX
WEAPONS/CLEAVER.FX
WEAPONS/CLUB.FX
WEAPONS/DAGGER.FX
WEAPONS/ENCHANTEDCLUB.FX
WEAPONS/ENCHANTEDTOMAHAWK.FX
WEAPONS/KAMA.FX
WEAPONS/KNIFE.FX
WEAPONS/MALLET.FX
WEAPONS/REBAR.FX
WEAPONS/REDCAP_DAGGERS.FX
WEAPONS/RIOT_BATON.FX
WEAPONS/SAI.FX
WEAPONS/SLEDGEHAMMER.FX
WEAPONS/THORN_SICKLE_1.FX
WEAPONS/THORN_SICKLE_2.FX
WEAPONS/THORN_STAFF_1.FX
WEAPONS/THORN_STAFF_2.FX
WEAPONS/THORN_STAFF_3.FX
WEAPONS/THORN_STAFF_4.FX
WEAPONS/THORN_STAFF_5.FX
WEAPONS/TOMAHAWK.FX
WEAPONS/TORCH.FX
Valkyrie Blade - Virtue Server

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 02:05:20 AM »
So is their a different version of piggviewer out there? I can open the pigg named bin and click on powers.bin to see a list in piggviewer which contains lots of error lines in it but when i click on the fxinfo the program crashes. I tried extracting powers.bin but I can't open it with anything and when I try to extract the fxinfo.bin the program crashes.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 04:42:27 AM by Noyjitat »

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 08:21:05 AM »
You should talk to Codewalker, I recall he had some info on that stuff.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.