Author Topic: Gravity  (Read 2410 times)

Mental Maden

• Boss
Gravity
« on: October 08, 2013, 12:51:03 AM »

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
Re: Gravity
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 01:57:34 AM »
I am trying to be interested in this movie but... everyone tells me how well made it is and how powerful the performances are; I suppose it's the writer in me... I look at it it and go "it's just another "locked in" drama except that instead of a sinking sea vessel, or a plane with no landing gear, or some other scenario they've used space this time as the inescapable scenario to mirror the human condition."

but the fact that I am exceedingly bitter about what has been done to NASA under Obama's watch doesn't help.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 04:01:00 AM »
Yep, it's a very simple story, but told masterfully.  It's beautiful and a great testament to the importance and impressiveness of the space program and the people involved.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 02:17:41 AM »
Watched it.  In 2D, as I'm tired of the 3D overkill, so I'm done with that.  Avatar, on Imax 3D, is still the torch bearer for how to do a 3D movie.

Gravity is fantastic.  A bit of stretchiness in technical, but it's just so well done, you can get past that.  Story's simple, but it's important for it to BE simple.  It's about the difficulties, not a story about the characters per se, except what would they do to survive.

I'm thinking of going again.. and yes, even the 3D version this time, it was that sorta good.  I don't see movies twice much, this one I might.

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 03:40:29 AM »
Neil deGrasse Tyson had some tweets about the movie.
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 03:52:03 AM »
Watched it.  In 2D, as I'm tired of the 3D overkill, so I'm done with that.  Avatar, on Imax 3D, is still the torch bearer for how to do a 3D movie.
Yeah, the only movie I've seen in 3d that I found to be worthy of the extra 2 bucks was How to Train your Dragon. I pretty much actively avoid it now. too many headaches
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 04:02:56 AM »
I've had issues with ice pick headaches and 3D movies (Avatar I'm looking at you).  I took the risk with this and luckily didn't get one.

Clave Dark 5

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 08:29:44 AM »
I am trying to be interested in this movie but... everyone tells me how well made it is and how powerful the performances are; I suppose it's the writer in me... I look at it it and go "it's just another "locked in" drama except that instead of a sinking sea vessel, or a plane with no landing gear, or some other scenario they've used space this time as the inescapable scenario to mirror the human condition."

Perhaps you've spent too much time over on tvtropes.yawn?  Think of it this way: any script is not about what story they're retelling - "as there are no new stories" some people will tell you - but how they retell the story they're retelling.  "Strong performances" would be one part of that.
"What you say is rather profound, and probably erroneous." - Joseph Conrad