Author Topic: City of Titans (The Phoenix Project) Kickstarter  (Read 20033 times)

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
City of Titans (The Phoenix Project) Kickstarter
« on: October 03, 2013, 03:58:25 AM »
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 04:59:33 AM by TonyV »

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
Re: City of Titans (The Phoenix Project) Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 04:12:07 AM »
Oh, one more miscellaneous note.  In the following days, you're probably going to see a LOT of references to this fund drive everywhere: on Facebook, Twitter, here, on other fan sites, etc.  At some point, you might get to feeling like, "Will they ever shut up about this campaign?"  The answer is yes, the glut of posts and messages will eventually subside as the campaign goes on.  Then it will probably pick up again towards it end.  Then after November 4, it will disappear completely.

So please have some patience and understanding.  Keep in mind that right now, Missing Worlds Media's advertising budget is exactly $0, so word of mouth is the only way they have of communicating this fund drive out to everyone, and they're trying their best to reach everyone in the City of Heroes community as well as the gaming community in general.  If you get irritated at the glut of posts and messages, just ignore them as best as you can and know that no one is trying to deliberately annoy you and you won't have to tolerate a zillion "Donate!!!  Donate!!!!  DONATE!!!!!" messages much longer.

;D

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 12:11:07 AM »
Thanks Tony.  Glad I logged into Titan Network this weekend, I put in my pledge.

Good luck Missing Worlds.  If there's more that can be done to help after the Kickstarter, don't be shy.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 04:09:15 AM »
Hurrah that this is far enough along to be ready for kickstarter funding!  Yea and Thank You to those working on City of Titans (The Phoenix Project).  Thank you for working to create a spiritual successor to CoH.   While I expect to always have a special place in my heart for City of Heroes and don't truly expect any game to be able to take its place, I have every hope of enjoying any & all of the Plan Z projects that launch.  Thank you again!  This gives me hope that soon-ish there will be a game online I feel like playing other than City of Heroes.  I am also hopeful (perhaps without reason) that as City of Titans (The Phoenix Project) gets close to launching that NCSoft will re-visit the idea of selling the CoH IP and so do, if not to us, then to a company we like.  Okay, I'll admit I'm dreaming, but a fan can hope!

/em holdtorch
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Lady Arete

• Minion
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 10:02:41 PM »
I feel like you do TonyV about the megacorps and their control.

I was so angry with Ncsoft that I'm glad they did not give the message to close down coh after any eventual purchase of games they would make. Due to their treatment of us, I'm not playing any of their games.

So my money has mostly gone to crowdfunding/kickstarter projects as well.
The biggest game on my radar is Chris Roberts: Star Citizen.
Lord British and his rpg.
and now Star Titan! :)

So all we in the community has to do is spread the word when we see a game we like. :)

Surelle

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 11:47:44 PM »
Thank you, Tony, for such wonderful words-- as usual--  and thanks to Missing Worlds Media for making this happen!

I'm excited for this project, and proud to be a part of this never-say-die CoH/CoT community.   ;D

And I hope everyone realizes what a great gaming resume starter it would be to donate time to a project like this.  Between that and all the networking you would do over the next couple/few years, all the donated time could easily pay off if you were trying to break into the gaming industry.  I'm just sayin'. 

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 05:13:00 AM »
After a year of NCsoft's antics, I'm resigned to CoH purposely kept shelved...I got the message loud and clear. :-\

Beginning to think Titan may be the best shot at restoring our gaming community. Least I could put some trust into a game again seeing it's to be built by fellow experiencers of  CoH.
May not be so bad, even with a different neighborhood, as long as familiar costumes show up,
we might be able to break in the new 'hood  :roll: ...and feel at home again.

I just wonder how they plan to get servers without selling out to some large company....unless things have changed, maybe it's not as hard as it was 8 yrs ago...I don't know.

r00tb0ySlim

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 11:13:38 AM »
My pledge is in...good luck TPP!!!

Harlequin565

• Lieutenant
    • Shuttercount - A Photography site...
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 11:54:57 AM »
I too wish them all the best.

In terms of publicity, is it worth a mailshot out to the Titan Network subscribers (forum members) to let them know about the KS? I occasionally get emails from forums I'm not participating in any more with updates etc.

Some of us have a poke about here every day, but maybe some don't...

Either way, thanks to you and MWM for giving me hope. Titan City has been formed from the ex-CoX community and any and all associated with it (and the other projects) deserves my full support.

Thanks again.

-H

grumpyguy

• Underling
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 05:11:28 PM »
 ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
 FUNDED!
 ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

pewlagon

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 05:29:56 PM »
Congrats to City of Titans. Congrats to us, the CoH Community. History has been made and now on to the Stretch goals!

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 09:35:08 PM »
Congrats!  And there's still nearly four weeks left to go!  Time to start thinking about stretch goals!  ;D

madvyking

• Minion
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 09:44:29 PM »
Congrats on succeeding and exceeding goals

now to show the naysayers of COH fans it can be done
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 09:55:04 PM by madvyking »

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 01:46:43 AM »
And the ball keeps rolling.

Now that they have enough funds (including a bit from me) to push forward, we'll get closer to this becoming a reality. Not that there won't be difficulties and the possibility that things won't happen at all, but things are moving.

As Mr. Darwin alluded, change, grow, adapt, or die. We'll we're not quite dead yet.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 03:15:35 PM »
this is just pure awesome sause. they got their funding in 4 days. This alone is the most important thing as that it sends a shockwave through the gaming community.  soon I will be able to help out aw well. I want my phoenix travel power.

Soon the Phoenix will rise again
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 04:48:05 PM »
No one knows for certain what our money will actually buy us. And the promo video has a lot of just concept art. But I think people are using their dollars as votes, saying "I want THIS kind of game".
What makes an MMO is motivation and dedication. Paragon Studios had both. And although City of Titans (CoT :D) is comprised of all volunteers, I don't see that as an indication of possible failure. The only way this venture can fail is if it loses motivation and dedication. I see the "votes" for CoT as not only a demand for a game that makes community-building tools a priority, but as a push to change the way publishers value their MMOs.

We've started something here. There's a chance CoT may fail, and if it does, that doesn't mean there isn't a market. Example: GTA5 went online a couple days ago. It allows up to 12 players to game together. And already the rockstar.com forums are ablaze with people forming "clubs" to game with, and recruiting members with similar gameplay styles. The need for community has always been there, and soon publishers and devs will realize this is the secret to a successful game.
The game is there for us, we're not there for it.
Since no game is there for us, we are going to make our own.
We are heroes. This is what we do.
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 06:14:57 PM »
No one knows for certain what our money will actually buy us.
Uh, yeah we do. They have it all laid out in the Kickstarter. ;)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2013, 10:09:02 PM »
Uh, yeah we do. They have it all laid out in the Kickstarter. ;)
I meant the look and feel and mechanics and such. If we knew exactly how the game would turn out, we could already be posting bug reports. Guess I coulda worded that better.
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 01:31:40 AM »
this is just pure awesome sause. they got their funding in 4 days. This alone is the most important thing as that it sends a shockwave through the gaming community.  soon I will be able to help out aw well. I want my phoenix travel power.

Soon the Phoenix will rise again

Through the cox community at least. Not sure about gaming community as a whole.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 08:07:13 AM »
I meant the look and feel and mechanics and such. If we knew exactly how the game would turn out, we could already be posting bug reports. Guess I coulda worded that better.
They don't even have the look and feel and mechanics nailed down, so how would they be able to communicate that? We're not kickstarting the *game*, we're kickstarting the *developers*.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal