Author Topic: Champions online Rude tells  (Read 8934 times)

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
Champions online Rude tells
« on: September 21, 2013, 12:03:32 AM »
Well, I needed to write about how I feel trolled today.

So I'm doing harmon labs on my PFF tank(without dying this time, mind you), and these tools, relyuing entirely on dino's rush to the end while i'm still fighting a whole mob.  Now, inconsequence, while I'm certainly able to keep myself alive(I have heals and shields behind that), it took me some time to catch up, someone immedietly calls me lazy "Lets see whos the most lazy, and we have a winner!", and it was one of the tools using the teleosaurus pharamones, I was insulted.  They then proceeded to blame me for not following them, WHEN THEY RUSHED PAST AN ENTIRE ROOM.

So I run again and all of a sudden, same group.  I get killed from getting stuck(knockback into wall and permanently stuck in knockback glitch had to hit it twice, since I self-resed.  Only one person even said anything constructive.  I was so furious, I'm wanting CoX back even more; at least then I wouldn't be dealing with intolerable jerks like this.

Edit: Shoulda added, I still get the last laugh: they'll be getting nerfed when the teleosaurous pharamones get fixed.

Anyone else have any stories of rudeness they'd like to share? :).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 12:25:18 AM by LaughingAlex »
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: Champions online Rude tells
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 01:50:36 AM »
Plenty. Pick a game, any game, there is rudeness it seems.

People get safe and cozy behind a computer screen and get some major courage in being rude.

COX had more than it's fair share of jerks like that you described. Came across plenty of them. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those players you teamed with there are or were cox players at one point in time and they probably were jerks in COX too and any other game they play.

And while I haven't dealt with too many players that rely on the dinosaur mob and have nothing against those players, I cant wait until they nerf it either. It seems like it wasnt intended to work that way it is doing now.

But out curiosity, luck not be on your side. as it rare unless they were the only people queuing, to end up on the exact same team back to back. I seen and had some where there were a couple of members from the previous run but usually there were more than a few queued. That has to suck ending right back on a team that you didn't enjoy.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 03:26:22 AM »
I miss the old CoH "Rude Tells" thread...

Fortunately/unfortunately, I don't have anything. Other than the occasional guy that tries 50 billion times to duel me.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 04:13:48 AM »

People get safe and cozy behind a computer screen and get some major courage in being rude.

COX had more than it's fair share of jerks like that you described. Came across plenty of them. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those players you teamed with there are or were cox players at one point in time and they probably were jerks in COX too and any other game they play.

And while I haven't dealt with too many players that rely on the dinosaur mob and have nothing against those players, I cant wait until they nerf it either. It seems like it wasnt intended to work that way it is doing now.

But out curiosity, luck not be on your side. as it rare unless they were the only people queuing, to end up on the exact same team back to back. I seen and had some where there were a couple of members from the previous run but usually there were more than a few queued. That has to suck ending right back on a team that you didn't enjoy.

Go figure, and to another thread yeah I miss the old CoH rude tells thread.  That was entertaining.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 03:15:09 PM »

Pick a space, any space, where there is more than 1 human. As the number of humans goes up, so does the odds of conflict.

The thing we have going for us as gamers is we are all gamers playing a game. Most are just trying to have fun and all are armed with an Ignore button.

I don't always understand other people's playstyles but I try to and I try to respect them and adapt to them when the situation arises. This usually works, sometimes not, When not, I move on to something else that is fun.

If I want to pick a fight or have drama I can simply walk out the door and the whole world is waiting.

I can't count the number of times I got mad at a group or person for doing things a way that I didn't understand only to find out later that they knew the encounter way better than I did. I can't count the number of times the situation was just dumb and pointless, either.

A good friends list and/or SG helps to cut down on the dumb and pointless.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 03:44:04 PM »
Pick a space, any space, where there is more than 1 human. As the number of humans goes up, so does the odds of conflict.

The thing we have going for us as gamers is we are all gamers playing a game. Most are just trying to have fun and all are armed with an Ignore button.

I don't always understand other people's playstyles but I try to and I try to respect them and adapt to them when the situation arises. This usually works, sometimes not, When not, I move on to something else that is fun.

If I want to pick a fight or have drama I can simply walk out the door and the whole world is waiting.

I can't count the number of times I got mad at a group or person for doing things a way that I didn't understand only to find out later that they knew the encounter way better than I did. I can't count the number of times the situation was just dumb and pointless, either.

A good friends list and/or SG helps to cut down on the dumb and pointless.
oh yeah. the world is and interesting place in that regards.

Although I think in the game world it gets amped up because in the real world, someone take it over board, they are the one that is arrested, or kicked out the store. In game, they(rule enforcement) put it on the victim to ignore the problem, which doesn't actually solve the problem. Ignore should ONLY be expected to be used for small cases like rudeness and stuff that don't break the rules. Because usually, the person you can ignore can still see what you say, still see you in game still visually harass you, and when teaming where communication is important, it can make coordination harder.

I think if the admin of games actually get their head out of the sand and enforce their own rules, rules they some reason even bothered to write, then it will solve the problem. They basically go off the mindset of blame the victim. Like if their method was used I nthe real world it would be like this. Victim- "Hey I got robbed by this guy in a brown hat gray shirt."
Admin- "Well stay off that street."
Until something serious happen they are scrambling around trying to save their own butt and make it look like they are doing something, like some tormented kid shoots himself because people was bothering him and even when he told admin, they didn't even bother looking it even though the people doing the tormenting was clearly breaking the rules.

Rudeness is a human problem it seems when ya get more than a few in a space each with their own idea of how it supposed to be and every other way is wrong and deserve to be ridiculed.
The reason why many cross the line, because the admin allows them too.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 04:32:49 PM »
Ignore should only be used when you want to use it. Whenever that may be.

Everyone is different. I've never used the Ignore button because I know well enough how to blow off what I don't like and seek out what I do. I symbolically press it sometimes tho.

I play alerts every single time I log in. They're pugs. Try putting together a pug 'irl' and see how it goes.

In general, we're all just logging in to have fun. Some people's version of fun conflicts with others and then no one has fun. It's the human condition and no number of admins or rules will override that.

I personally prefer to police myself and haven't had any more negative experiences in CO than in any other online game I've ever played and I've played in far more pugs in CO than any other game.

Unless someone is just going out of their way to screw things up for everyone, on purpose or not, it generally doesn't bother me how other people play because I accept that I am in a pug and will encounter a wide variety of playstyles - all of them valid to the person using them.

People can and often do get banned/muted/whatever for being @ssholes. If you encounter someone that affects you so deeply, get them banned. Otherwise, I would advise to simply move on. You aren't going to get every person on the server to play in a way that fits your sensibilities and why even try. Sharpen your own game. This, you have some control over.

Believe it or not we *all* ruin someone's fun at some point. Some of these people are even liked and respected by other players, We don't mean to, we just don't fit with the other person.

Mostly I run into decent players and I *always* have been able to easily and painlessly avoid the few that bother me. Maybe it's because I'm focusing on what to do next rather than what the hell just happened hehe.

Seriously tho, game time should be about finding the fun things not lamenting the bad. If that isn't possible then it sounds like it's time to find a new game to me. If we had a wild wild west situation going on with CO and we were fighting to save our game then that'd be different but we don't and we aren't.

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 05:50:09 PM »
Ignore should only be used when you want to use it. Whenever that may be.

Everyone is different. I've never used the Ignore button because I know well enough how to blow off what I don't like and seek out what I do. I symbolically press it sometimes tho.

I play alerts every single time I log in. They're pugs. Try putting together a pug 'irl' and see how it goes.

In general, we're all just logging in to have fun. Some people's version of fun conflicts with others and then no one has fun. It's the human condition and no number of admins or rules will override that.

I personally prefer to police myself and haven't had any more negative experiences in CO than in any other online game I've ever played and I've played in far more pugs in CO than any other game.

Unless someone is just going out of their way to screw things up for everyone, on purpose or not, it generally doesn't bother me how other people play because I accept that I am in a pug and will encounter a wide variety of playstyles - all of them valid to the person using them.

People can and often do get banned/muted/whatever for being @ssholes. If you encounter someone that affects you so deeply, get them banned. Otherwise, I would advise to simply move on. You aren't going to get every person on the server to play in a way that fits your sensibilities and why even try. Sharpen your own game. This, you have some control over.

Believe it or not we *all* ruin someone's fun at some point. Some of these people are even liked and respected by other players, We don't mean to, we just don't fit with the other person.

Mostly I run into decent players and I *always* have been able to easily and painlessly avoid the few that bother me. Maybe it's because I'm focusing on what to do next rather than what the hell just happened hehe.

Seriously tho, game time should be about finding the fun things not lamenting the bad. If that isn't possible then it sounds like it's time to find a new game to me. If we had a wild wild west situation going on with CO and we were fighting to save our game then that'd be different but we don't and we aren't.

In a way CO is in a wild wild west situation. Most of the time when people get muted it's because someone got a group of their buddies together to use the player controlled ban system, which is abused. The mods don't do much, report someone, they tell you simply ignore them and that is it. The guess what, that person is still there, probably moved on to some other minority and acting a plum fool. And in a way I don't blame them. They only do what they are allowed to do. 

Then you have people that go out of their way to bother people. Not talking about playstyles, and some stuff would probably get them arrested if they wasn't online, but the style is that it's the victim's fault. Which in turns sends the message it's ok to go out and ruin other's fun for the hell of it. There is a difference between merely a conflict of what is fun on a team and go out of one;s way to harass a person.

I don't mind the wild west style but what bothers me is if rules are not going to be enforced or cant be enforced then why even bother having them? If they are not going to do anything about racial slurs being thrown around like candy, or players harassing each other, death threats, even hacking and finding their real personal information, then why even bother stating it's not tolerated, if in reality it is tolerated?And really while the victim could find a new game, that still don't solve the problem and that is another way to blame the victim. "Don't like people harassing you, find a new game". Shouldn't it be the person that is following the rules have just as much if not more of a right to play that game thant the person doing the harassing?

The reason the problem is growing is because instead of taking care of it, the victim is expected to run, even though they probably invested well into the game, put their head I nthe head, and keep quiet instead of enforcing the rules in place. If the ruels said, warning, there are no social rules, then yeah they kind of walked into that but when they post the rules and say they will be enforced and certain behavior is not tolerated, then they tricked. And if the victim must leave, then they should be refuned for every single penny they put into that game because one, the victim shouldn't have to leave. It should be the offender that should be leaving. And two, Even if the victim leave, that still don't solve the problem it basically says "it's ok to use racuial slurs, it's ok to ignore the ToS rules, it's ok to make everyone else life a living hell, it's ok to expect the up most respect but disreapect everyone around ya. Because when you do break the rules, nothing will happen to you because it's the victim's fault for being there and if they don't like it they should leave, even if they invested well into the game even if they enjoy the game, they have no right being there if they don't like being harassed or called by racial slurs.

In real life that is called disturbing the peace and is usually a misdemeanor. And usually the owner the establishment have enough balls to kick the people that don't follow the established written rules out. MMO mods either are severely understaffed don't care about their job and just like the title or lazy.

The problem is large now, but one that easy to fix simpy by enforcing the stated rules. Rules become toothless, as they are in many MMOs, when they are not enforced by the people that are supposed to be enforcing them. It's simple. Don't enforce then of course the butts will run amok. Enforce them, then most people will think twice before putting their account on the line by harssing people. Probably cant solve general rudeness how ever as that varies. A straight talking no sugar coated opinionated person can be considered rude but as long as they don't take it further by harassing people then in general they are not breaking rules. But seen too many people get away with stuff that is supposedly strictly forbidden but yet it is some how the victim's fault. Well then maybe they should supply useful tools for the victim to defend themselves. Like upgrade ignore. If they ignore a person then the offender should not be only invisible in text to the victim. The offender should not be able to see, find, contact, end up on the same team, or even type the victim's name. Although not sure how that last one, typing the victim name would be implemented. Ignore should be so that the offender cannot continue their behavior against the victim not victim simply cannot see what the offender type. And reports should be investigated and if rules were broken, regardless of the offender status, friendship, connections, they should not be allowed to continue the behavior. In CO with the chat ban seen many times that system over all punish the victim more than the offender who goes and gets a few of his buddies to make sure the victim cant talk in chat for days and still affect the victim's gameplay and interaction even when the victim ignored them and usually because the victim used the tool and ignored them. People do only what they can get away with.   
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 06:07:08 PM by JaguarX »

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 06:22:45 PM »
I never run into any of this stuff. At all. Ever.

I have times when things are totally going in a way I can't cope with, like, leet rushing and I'm lost or being trapped in newb teams and I'm on Senge who gets wiped out by a stiff wind... But none of this racial slurring misdemeanoring where mean people are coming after me or anyone else.

You say it happens and I believe you without having to experience it first hand. Just like I never discount people complaining about connection problems anymore even if mine is rock solid..lol

If you check all my posts the worst player complaint I've made is about needy healers and... nope, that's it. "Stand here", "Do it MY way", TELL ME THANKS I NEED TO HEAR A THANK YOU!!!" "You, are on my No Heals List".

*ahem*

jk healers *hug*

Some Faves:

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 07:19:58 PM »
I never run into any of this stuff. At all. Ever.

I have times when things are totally going in a way I can't cope with, like, leet rushing and I'm lost or being trapped in newb teams and I'm on Senge who gets wiped out by a stiff wind... But none of this racial slurring misdemeanoring where mean people are coming after me or anyone else.

You say it happens and I believe you without having to experience it first hand. Just like I never discount people complaining about connection problems anymore even if mine is rock solid..lol

If you check all my posts the worst player complaint I've made is about needy healers and... nope, that's it. "Stand here", "Do it MY way", TELL ME THANKS I NEED TO HEAR A THANK YOU!!!" "You, are on my No Heals List".

*ahem*

jk healers *hug*

Yeah, I'm sure many wished that was the extent of their bad interactions with people. Yeah came across quite a bit of those type of healers/buffers/debuffers in COX. Sometimes thinking "Man, Succubus, please confuse me so I can KO blow that guy into next week. Man, if I didn't need this TF for the badge and others were running it, I wouldn't even bother putting up with this dude." *confuse* "hey hey! Now were is that healer? Oh bugger, the scrapper beat me to it."
 Havent teamed with a healer in CO yet. If I do, eventually I probably run into a few of those types.

Like in RL, some people get shot at. I never been shot at, but doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Just like I'm sure I seen some things they never experienced.

Eldershinjo

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 07:22:09 PM »
Oh, the anonymity of the internet... Allowing angry, mental 12 year olds to stroke their little egos and make themselves feel better about their miserable little lives by ruining other peoples game play while they hide behind their computer monitors.
CoX had their share of them, but unless you were in PvP, they weren't that hard to just ignore.
The same generally seems to go with any other game I play, from Champions, to Guild Wars to Final Fantasy 14...

Champions, I feel is a bit unique in that out of all the games I have played in this aspect because, whether you agree with it or not, it /does/ give the players the greatest ability to 'police its own'... But as practical application shows, when you give the players of a game something as (seemingly) simple as the tools needed to silence griefers and abusive players, those very same jerkwads will find a way to abuse the very thing meant to curb their @sshat behavior.

So this begs the question... What can we do about it?
Yes, I think we can all agree that game developers should be more invested in maintaining the rules they write up, but in games where lord knows how many players are on at any one given time, how are they supposed to keep a watch on everyone? Should they have 'Referees'? Moderators that are on all the time and watching over the players 24/7? (Personally, I would love to see that, especially in PvP specific areas in games... But I'm sure there is a reason why this sort of thing isn't often done...) But, if this sort of thing was implemented, I'm sure these very same children (and I use the term loosely...) would find ways to circumvent the system and continue to make peoples internet lives miserable.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it's right for these worthless little jacktards to be able to run roughshod over players who just want to have enjoyable game time to have no recourse then to basically run away from them. They are worse then schoolyard bullies, really... At least a schoolyard bully has to physically be there, as opposed to these internet tough boys who seemingly get off on the fact that they can say things that would very likely get them punched in the mouth in the real world.
Unless the general attitude of these people change, I don't see how things would ever improve, and I wont hold my breath for that... Yes, I'm cynical and jaded... But after over a decade of dealing with brats like this, where the names change but the lousy 'I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT!' attitudes never do, I doubt anything will change.
Always remember... The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing...

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 07:46:13 PM »
Again, I never experience any of this stuff. I just log on and play. Sometimes I play with dynamite people, sometimes I don't, mostly it's just an average playing session.

Matter of fact I only ever got 1 single solitary angry tell in CO, ever. And that has to be a record. It was from the guy that not only took the time to make a no-heals list, but took the time to put me on it and tell me about it.

Btw. I'm half healer. Maybe a real full quarter.. I used to be ~3 quarters+. I used to like people making me feel special, too. Not all healers are like this. For example, I'm sure ever single healer reading this right now is a shining example of healerism and realizes that they are just another part of the team.

I guess my rude tell to add to this thread is "You're on my no heals list" that came from a healer that wanted to be a fight choreographer in a fight I knew we were going to win with or without him. I was so incredulous that he thought I cared. And we did win and he didn't help as I was tanking Warlord for him. (Not this rotation but the last).
Some Faves:

PSI-on

• Ψ
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 09:44:34 PM »
Only thing in reguards to healing that ever got to me was the way early days of CoX, I'd get an invite to a random group in need of a defender...and only after setting my heart to it and accepting the invite do they ask "Empathy?" I, of course, was Dark Miasma, to which they promptly kicked me immediately. I'd like to think I was a decent healer. I worked hard on my only heal, sacrificed myself many times to rez players I found (my rez required a target and could get me into battle) or even a team wipe of my own, and I even spec'd me Dark Servant out for his heals over damage, yet all anyone wanted at first was Empathy. I guess for me, I experienced the other side of the healer coin, but more on topic I agree. I do see some amazing jerks in Zone MC chat, and the occasional player way too low for Alerts complain rudely when it fails, but I didn't know there was a player controlled chat ban that lasts for days and you can just get on it automatically if people report you legit or otherwise.

Edit: I was gonna fix "I even spec'd me Dark Servant" for obvious mistake, but decided it was to pirate to give up. :3
Please don't send blind requests in games to me, I learned to ignore them in CoX, no offense meant. (this is only here until I can figure out how to put it in my actual profile on here.)

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 10:22:44 PM »
When you're in a SG you like or have a fairly active friends list it makes it a lot easier to have closer knit play. If you're really into the game you're playing and eventually find a good Guild/SG/build a decent friends list - then a lot of these pug problems go away and you will even laugh about them most times with your friends. ...Assuming we're not talking about some extreme situation that I guess I'm lucky enough that I never run into.

In the pug world, you kinda gotta take what you get. Historically the pug world has never been the place most regularly playing players have wanted to be. It was more of a Last Resort. It's a way more acceptable place to be these day tho. With all the alert type stuff. The pug world used to be hellish.

As for Zone Chat.. *shrug*. I got shocked once or twice in the beginning but I'm over it. Generally I was shocked by the words, not the message. There is a wide range of ages and backgrounds in Zone Chat. I can't relate directly with all of them but I can't ever remember being really offended. I'll get tired of moaning and whatnot if it's a theme that goes on and on and I always have to shake my head when the "I want A Slave" guy comes on to auction for more slaves but generally Zone Chat is just interesting or it's not.

When I played CoH I never expected anything outside of LB chat to be interesting. Sometimes it was, sometimes it wasn't but all the regulars I knew were in LB and that was the channel I'd read first.
Some Faves:

PSI-on

• Ψ
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 11:33:57 PM »
I usually played alone or with my close friends in CoX, but I never had the kind of horrible PUG experiences in that game as I do now. In fact I didn't even know the words PUG (pick up group) until other games, to me it was just asking for help or joining someone who needed help with a mission or sharing badges. Don't get me wrong I did run into the bad grouping here or there, but rarely was their jerks nor bad failures, seems everywhere else the line is much more thin. As for the healer stuff, as players learned other healing sets had as much to offer as Empathy it got much better, but I will totally agree being on a team with good friends or SG mates beats everything else hands down. Though if we just talk about people on Global or other chat channels, people in the revamped Help and Triumph Watch  on Triumph now and then would often be a sight to see.

When you're in a SG you like or have a fairly active friends list it makes it a lot easier to have closer knit play. If you're really into the game you're playing and eventually find a good Guild/SG/build a decent friends list - then a lot of these pug problems go away and you will even laugh about them most times with your friends. ...Assuming we're not talking about some extreme situation that I guess I'm lucky enough that I never run into.

In the pug world, you kinda gotta take what you get. Historically the pug world has never been the place most regularly playing players have wanted to be. It was more of a Last Resort. It's a way more acceptable place to be these day tho. With all the alert type stuff. The pug world used to be hellish.

As for Zone Chat.. *shrug*. I got shocked once or twice in the beginning but I'm over it. Generally I was shocked by the words, not the message. There is a wide range of ages and backgrounds in Zone Chat. I can't relate directly with all of them but I can't ever remember being really offended. I'll get tired of moaning and whatnot if it's a theme that goes on and on and I always have to shake my head when the "I want A Slave" guy comes on to auction for more slaves but generally Zone Chat is just interesting or it's not.

When I played CoH I never expected anything outside of LB chat to be interesting. Sometimes it was, sometimes it wasn't but all the regulars I knew were in LB and that was the channel I'd read first.
Please don't send blind requests in games to me, I learned to ignore them in CoX, no offense meant. (this is only here until I can figure out how to put it in my actual profile on here.)

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 01:30:37 AM »
Don't get me wrong I did run into the bad grouping here or there, but rarely was their jerks nor bad failures, seems everywhere else the line is much more thin.

Well my jaw dropped when I read that.

I never get or witness people being racially slurred/stalked/otherwise seriously weirded out in CO. You've had a generally good experience with pugs and that world.

I guess the two of us have won the lotto in our own ways  : D

It's only natural pugville/global chats aren't the best place to be. In my experience they're overpopulated with (actual) newbs who simply don't know how to play yet and/or aren't very invested in the game and/or it's players.

Pug used to be a dirty word to a regular player in my experience and Globals were just for laffs or to break the boredom. I guess that's why my expectations aren't so high with them. There are some awesome players in pugs too. Burnouts like me for example! lol.. jk. On the awesome part. Just saying. Some of the uberest players and most fun can pop up in pugs but I don't expect it and always view it as a bonus when it does happen.

I think it matters what your current situation is, too, when it comes to how you view Zone Chat and the general population.  I used to be a pretty serious player in my online games. Kinda stupidly serious at one point. These days I mostly just log in for some light fun, toonbuilding, escape, and I come by here to bs about the game in a completely non-serious way because unlike most any Official forum, here, it's kept generally pretty light, respectful, and even educational, humorous, and otherwise entertaining at times. Plus, we all used to play the same game so we have that going for us.

If I wanted more from CO I would work on my friends list more and look for an SG I fit in with if possible. But I don't right now. So I usually take what I get  : ) Which has worked out pretty decent until now. I kinda treasure my CO time as far as that goes.
Some Faves:

PSI-on

• Ψ
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 02:09:07 AM »
Sorry, to be clear, that line you quoted was about CoX, that the appearance of jerks, failure mission groups, and trolling was rare there, so much so I hadn't ever even heard of the word PUG, til I stepped outside the city. I'm glad to say, though, my time hasn't been too ruined outside of failure pugs, I was trained VERY EARLY by STO to just turn a blind eye to zone chat, but when I DO notice it...woooo boy, least I can do is cring, take a screenshot that includes the UI, then quickly move into a mission. lol

Well my jaw dropped when I read that.

I never get or witness people being racially slurred/stalked/otherwise seriously weirded out in CO. You've had a generally good experience with pugs and that world.

I guess the two of us have won the lotto in our own ways  : D

It's only natural pugville/global chats aren't the best place to be. In my experience they're overpopulated with (actual) newbs who simply don't know how to play yet and/or aren't very invested in the game and/or it's players.

Pug used to be a dirty word to a regular player in my experience and Globals were just for laffs or to break the boredom. I guess that's why my expectations aren't so high with them. There are some awesome players in pugs too. Burnouts like me for example! lol.. jk. On the awesome part. Just saying. Some of the uberest players and most fun can pop up in pugs but I don't expect it and always view it as a bonus when it does happen.

I think it matters what your current situation is, too, when it comes to how you view Zone Chat and the general population.  I used to be a pretty serious player in my online games. Kinda stupidly serious at one point. These days I mostly just log in for some light fun, toonbuilding, escape, and I come by here to bs about the game in a completely non-serious way because unlike most any Official forum, here, it's kept generally pretty light, respectful, and even educational, humorous, and otherwise entertaining at times. Plus, we all used to play the same game so we have that going for us.

If I wanted more from CO I would work on my friends list more and look for an SG I fit in with if possible. But I don't right now. So I usually take what I get  : ) Which has worked out pretty decent until now. I kinda treasure my CO time as far as that goes.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 03:10:40 AM »
Lol poor Zone chat. I'm in Zone chat sometimes, ya know! Ok rarely.

Hey, as long as we're having fun, we win. That's what I meant by if not, move on to another game. When the fun's gone then so's the point of playing that game imo. There's plenty more free-to-try fish in the sea. Besides, if you (whoever) aren't having fun then you're probly not so fun to play with yourself. So spare the rest of us.

I've logged on for over 200 days almost in a row now (must have skipped one or two somewhere) and have been in well over 200 pugs and have gotten 1 nasty tell that wasn't even that bad. I've gotten in a lot of blown alerts and read dirty words in Zone.  These are about the worst things I can think of besides a few weeks worth of network probs awhile back.

I think it sucked that they nerfed Xev's Ego Sprites, too, (I mean, come on! Who has more pathetic dps than The Mind.) but then it worked out that he never crits anyway so I guess that doesn't really count.. There better not be a dex/crit nerf like I've been hearing rumors of! Then, we might have a rumble.
Some Faves:

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 01:44:22 AM »
I miss the old CoH "Rude Tells" thread...

Here you go: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,8660.msg125436.html#msg125436 This message provides a link that will get you a zip file with the legendary Rude Tells thread. As I recall, something like the second or third webpage is missing, replaced by a duplicate of another page. But it's still a keeper. I would have given the actual link here, but credit where credit is due.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 03:44:01 AM »
Sometimes you run into plain scum in MMOs. Maybe you were spared that back in CoH, but this is different. Fortunately it is easier to cope with it here. No ignore list size limit! Also, you can shut most unsolicited annoyances down in the social tab (O) and click Privacy Options.
Spess

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 05:20:59 AM »
Sometimes you run into plain scum in MMOs. Maybe you were spared that back in CoH, but this is different. Fortunately it is easier to cope with it here. No ignore list size limit! Also, you can shut most unsolicited annoyances down in the social tab (O) and click Privacy Options.
yeah

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 12:04:40 AM »
One big problem though, you can get Permanently chat banned from chat merely for being ignored by to many people.  You'd think it's a good thing, however they can ignore you to.  TO many different people ignoring you = chat banned even if its not warrented.  Alot of people on the CO forums agree it's a terrible policy, especially since some groups actively troll others using that.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 01:09:14 AM »
One big problem though, you can get Permanently chat banned from chat merely for being ignored by to many people.  You'd think it's a good thing, however they can ignore you to.  TO many different people ignoring you = chat banned even if its not warrented.  Alot of people on the CO forums agree it's a terrible policy, especially since some groups actively troll others using that.
yup.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2013, 01:42:10 AM »

A big problem for WHO?

lol

come on guys, what.. sheesh.

let's get back to our racial slurring (can someone tell me who the minority is these days plz?), stalk some honeys, and try to intimidate someone until they think our opinion matters enough that they try to hurt themselves.

Some Faves:

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2013, 02:07:37 AM »
A big problem for WHO?

lol

come on guys, what.. sheesh.

let's get back to our racial slurring (can someone tell me who the minority is these days plz?), stalk some honeys, and try to intimidate someone until they think our opinion matters enough that they try to hurt themselves.
Got to love MMOs and people on the internet. :D

No wonder there are so many "cynical" views of society these days.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 04:12:45 AM »
Heh, most of my cynicism is that I seem to have entered a dark age of gaming again.  There are always "light" ages with awsome games and "dark" ages where all the games out there are kinda 'meh'.  It seems today is a somwhat dark age for gaming to be honest.  Champions online had the misfortune of being caught by the influence of the bad trends to be honest, including drastic measures to prevent trolling that just, well, don't work and actually give the trolls a new weapon.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2013, 04:52:06 AM »
Heh, most of my cynicism is that I seem to have entered a dark age of gaming again.  There are always "light" ages with awsome games and "dark" ages where all the games out there are kinda 'meh'.  It seems today is a somwhat dark age for gaming to be honest.  Champions online had the misfortune of being caught by the influence of the bad trends to be honest, including drastic measures to prevent trolling that just, well, don't work and actually give the trolls a new weapon.

yeah trolls are like roaches. The best way to deal with them is to prevent them in the first place but once they are there, they are a PITA to rid off and only way is to crush then when they appear and take away their food.

Sure you can go the CO route of trying to train them to step on each other. Which wont work.

AT that point there is nothing left to do but go in and lay down the law.

People only do what they can get away with.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2013, 02:53:00 PM »
*shrug*

I seem to have downloaded the drama free version of CO.
Some Faves:

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2013, 03:24:53 PM »
*shrug*

I seem to have downloaded the drama free version of CO.

yeah? In relative terms, it's actually the most drama free game I been in. The people are majority cool folk, especially on CORP. The COX  channel, a little iffy, some days it's good and quiet literally, some days it's good talks other days it's "WTF? Really, guys?" Zone chat it's mostly sellers until some butcase takes over and become center of attention for a while.
Teams, most of the time they dont even speak to each other, which some may find as off putting but I prefer the intro hi, get to business not say a word, compared to "You didnt take such and such power? You're noob." "You probably dont do to well in school if you ever went to school because you're an idiot" that has happened in COX teaming experience I witness at times. But out side an alert here and there I dont team much and 90% of the time been with people off the CORP channel. And usually when there is actual interaction, it's usually pleasant and fun. In CO I feel relaxed but giving the friendly nature, it makes the nutcases stand out even more.

COX, I wasnt so lucky. Throw a rock and hit a nutcase ranting raving about something or at someone about something. Whether it's about power choices of someone else, or they are griefing someone, saying how someone else toon sucks, saying how people should play their way, pvpers vs pvers, farmers vs casual players, virtue vs freedom. Like it wouldnt be a day complete without at least ten people on Virtue Channel saying Freedumb or how everyone on the Freedom server are noobs. Going into COX I had the text book definition of friendly, but COX version of friendly was a bit alien. In COX it seemed everyone was tense. It was even hard to have a discussion at even about the pros and cons of powersets without someone flying off the handle at anyone that didnt agree to their strict view.

In CO, you say a power sucks, most of the time, someone will say it does not, and it goes from there in a respectful peaceful manner. Hell, I even seen someone say that TGM sucks and the conversation went civil even though I think just about everyone who replied disagreed although eventually the convo went from does it suck or not to whether it's OP or not. And it was interesting besides a few nerf herding comments I didnt see anyone get blatantly insulting like I seen many time for lesser controversial topics in COX.   

I'm sure some never even came across a troll before in COX but, but must realize for every person that didnt come across it that means probably somewhere someone is getting it twice as hard in not a good way.

So we are playing the same version. Like any MMO you'll have your nutcases, but they are few in CO overall it seems that I came across so it's quite possible to never come across that and some people to stumble across every single idiot in the game.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2013, 06:09:35 PM »
yeah? In relative terms, it's actually the most drama free game I been in. The people are majority cool folk, especially on CORP. The COX  channel, a little iffy, some days it's good and quiet literally, some days it's good talks other days it's "WTF? Really, guys?" Zone chat it's mostly sellers until some butcase takes over and become center of attention for a while.
Teams, most of the time they dont even speak to each other, which some may find as off putting but I prefer the intro hi, get to business not say a word, compared to "You didnt take such and such power? You're noob." "You probably dont do to well in school if you ever went to school because you're an idiot" that has happened in COX teaming experience I witness at times. But out side an alert here and there I dont team much and 90% of the time been with people off the CORP channel. And usually when there is actual interaction, it's usually pleasant and fun. In CO I feel relaxed but giving the friendly nature, it makes the nutcases stand out even more.

COX, I wasnt so lucky. Throw a rock and hit a nutcase ranting raving about something or at someone about something. Whether it's about power choices of someone else, or they are griefing someone, saying how someone else toon sucks, saying how people should play their way, pvpers vs pvers, farmers vs casual players, virtue vs freedom. Like it wouldnt be a day complete without at least ten people on Virtue Channel saying Freedumb or how everyone on the Freedom server are noobs. Going into COX I had the text book definition of friendly, but COX version of friendly was a bit alien. In COX it seemed everyone was tense. It was even hard to have a discussion at even about the pros and cons of powersets without someone flying off the handle at anyone that didnt agree to their strict view.

In CO, you say a power sucks, most of the time, someone will say it does not, and it goes from there in a respectful peaceful manner. Hell, I even seen someone say that TGM sucks and the conversation went civil even though I think just about everyone who replied disagreed although eventually the convo went from does it suck or not to whether it's OP or not. And it was interesting besides a few nerf herding comments I didnt see anyone get blatantly insulting like I seen many time for lesser controversial topics in COX.   

I'm sure some never even came across a troll before in COX but, but must realize for every person that didnt come across it that means probably somewhere someone is getting it twice as hard in not a good way.

So we are playing the same version. Like any MMO you'll have your nutcases, but they are few in CO overall it seems that I came across so it's quite possible to never come across that and some people to stumble across every single idiot in the game.

I actually left CORP because of the kinds of conversations I'd encountered in it.  You seem to have gotten lucky to an extreme.  I played on virtue so I suppose that helped, and yeah occasionally i encountered a troll or two.  But in CO I'd often mentioned things that'd actually improve the game and they'd shouted me down for it.  Like mentioning other forms of support like buffs/debuffs/crowd control that should be more dominant then healing, and they are all "That'd be overpowered and it'd make my dedicated healer useless!".  Well if they hadn't noticed(sure they never do) but most good freeform tanks aren't really interested in some leechful dedicated healer who just stands around all day not doing anything because said freeform tank is just not dying and certainly healing himself faster then the dedicated healer can.

I even mentioned how wonderful it is to be able to quickly form a team and just play the game instead of sitting around for an hour or even two hours in unlucky cases just waiting for someone of a specific role.  It was certainly tedious.  And every encounter being the same essentially in such a holy trinity team is also very boring to me, it's something that has to die.  But lo and behold some people just screamed "that sounds like all hybrids playing", even when I described it not even being that way.  Especially the ones who asked for nerfs to things like dodge/avoidence JUST SO THEY COULD FORCE PEOPLE TO PLAY THE HOLY TRINITY WHETHER THEY WANTED TO OR NOT.

So I left CORP and I certainly don't feel bad about it.  I'd had to many conversations where something interesting starts and they just stomp it down.  One guy complained to me that corp became just random trash talk, and I agreed.  The funny thing is you feel bad about CoX chat I find it's alot cleaner then CORP when i'm on.  Maybe where on at differing times of the day, who knows, but it seems we'd had very opposite experiences.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2013, 06:24:01 PM »
I actually left CORP because of the kinds of conversations I'd encountered in it.  You seem to have gotten lucky to an extreme.  I played on virtue so I suppose that helped, and yeah occasionally i encountered a troll or two.  But in CO I'd often mentioned things that'd actually improve the game and they'd shouted me down for it.  Like mentioning other forms of support like buffs/debuffs/crowd control that should be more dominant then healing, and they are all "That'd be overpowered and it'd make my dedicated healer useless!".  Well if they hadn't noticed(sure they never do) but most good freeform tanks aren't really interested in some leechful dedicated healer who just stands around all day not doing anything because said freeform tank is just not dying and certainly healing himself faster then the dedicated healer can.

I even mentioned how wonderful it is to be able to quickly form a team and just play the game instead of sitting around for an hour or even two hours in unlucky cases just waiting for someone of a specific role.  It was certainly tedious.  And every encounter being the same essentially in such a holy trinity team is also very boring to me, it's something that has to die.  But lo and behold some people just screamed "that sounds like all hybrids playing", even when I described it not even being that way.  Especially the ones who asked for nerfs to things like dodge/avoidence JUST SO THEY COULD FORCE PEOPLE TO PLAY THE HOLY TRINITY WHETHER THEY WANTED TO OR NOT.

So I left CORP and I certainly don't feel bad about it.  I'd had to many conversations where something interesting starts and they just stomp it down.  One guy complained to me that corp became just random trash talk, and I agreed.  The funny thing is you feel bad about CoX chat I find it's alot cleaner then CORP when i'm on.  Maybe where on at differing times of the day, who knows, but it seems we'd had very opposite experiences.

You're right about the freeform tank. Most take their own heal and don't need dedicated healer bots.

Oh my, Well ignore the part in my reply to you in another topic about CORP. Whew bad times there eh? Aint denying it, ever so often I seen a few knuckleheads try to take over.

Yeah it do seem we had very opposite experiences. But more than likely both of our experiences are very true. Time of day, the actual day, and ect. all can make the difference, unless someone actually is one 24/7 7 days a weeks. 365 days a year.

I'm with you on that. I don't like being forced to rely or play the holy trinity playstyle myself. If people like to, that is fine, they can, but I don't think it's right to try and tear down that choice. Not everyone is a tank, there are plenty of glass cannons running around that would love to have healers tag along in big fights, but everyone doesn't nor should be forced to need a healer or any other specific build to succeed.

And you're right, over all that playstyle is dying. People are getting bored with it. Hell even in WoW at first it used to be king of holy trinity and they even softened that stance up a bit.  Each year people look for more and more choices and variety in a game especially MMOs. Because consoles are offering more and more variety in their game and if mmo want to survive, they better get with the times and stop forcing the holy trinity. Because they don't  and cant bank on the punch line of "Yeah it's a game, but you get to play online!" anymore. Most console games come with online capabilities these days.  The ground is shrinking and those that deliver what the customers want will have the real estate the others with cease.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2013, 06:27:46 PM »
You're right about the freeform tank. Most take their own heal and don't need dedicated healer bots.

Oh my, Well ignore the part in my reply to you in another topic about CORP. Whew bad times there eh? Aint denying it, ever so often I seen a few knuckleheads try to take over.

Yeah it do seem we had very opposite experiences. But more than likely both of our experiences are very true. Time of day, the actual day, and ect. all can make the difference, unless someone actually is one 24/7 7 days a weeks. 365 days a year.

I'm with you on that. I don't like being forced to rely or play the holy trinity playstyle myself. If people like to, that is fine, they can, but I don't think it's right to try and tear down that choice. Not everyone is a tank, there are plenty of glass cannons running around that would love to have healers tag along in big fights, but everyone doesn't nor should be forced to need a healer or any other specific build to succeed.

And you're right, over all that playstyle is dying. People are getting bored with it. Hell even in WoW at first it used to be king of holy trinity and they even softened that stance up a bit.  Each year people look for more and more choices and variety in a game especially MMOs. Because consoles are offering more and more variety in their game and if mmo want to survive, they better get with the times and stop forcing the holy trinity. Because they don't  and cant bank on the punch line of "Yeah it's a game, but you get to play online!" anymore. Most console games come with online capabilities these days.  The ground is shrinking and those that deliver what the customers want will have the real estate the others with cease.

That last paragraph is the very reason I keep saying the holy trinity needs to go :).  MMO's are dying for it because it's true, every game now is going more and more online and providing far more options of play and MMO's are still stuck in the 1990s.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2013, 07:10:35 PM »
That last paragraph is the very reason I keep saying the holy trinity needs to go :).  MMO's are dying for it because it's true, every game now is going more and more online and providing far more options of play and MMO's are still stuck in the 1990s.
yup.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2013, 07:49:56 PM »
WoW doesn't seem to be softening their stance on the Trinity; the 5.4 Patch Notes outright reference the roles by name: "Proving Grounds is a new feature where level 90 players can test their mettle and undertake trials designed for Damage, Tank, or Healer roles to test and improve their combat skills in a safe, controlled environment."

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2013, 07:52:03 PM »
WoW doesn't seem to be softening their stance on the Trinity; the 5.4 Patch Notes outright reference the roles by name: "Proving Grounds is a new feature where level 90 players can test their mettle and undertake trials designed for Damage, Tank, or Healer roles to test and improve their combat skills in a safe, controlled environment."
oh yeah, but I considered that like a souped of version of the test room that CO have.