Author Topic: Wow i dont know what to put as the subject :D  (Read 5534 times)

alphajaybo

• Lieutenant
  • The one The only Alpha Protocol V2.9
Wow i dont know what to put as the subject :D
« on: September 18, 2013, 08:35:54 PM »
So recently i have seen some posts on various websites and even on the titan forums with people basically saying that they have lost hope and that they don't think they can continue thinking possibly/cant stay fighting  to get CoH back, (That was my interpretation on them anyway.) The thing is that if we give up now after all this time what was the point in even fighting for CoH anyway, Sure it's been a year and there has been no MASSIVE breakthroughs with company's thinking about Buying or attempting to buy CoH's IP. However there may be certain projects going on certain business deals going down that perhaps aren't going to be publicized till they are near completion/have worked out well. what im trying to say is even though there hasn't been any massive breakthroughs it doesn't mean that people haven't made small progress towards emulations ect. as long as we all stay strong and fight for The hero's and villain's of Paragon city we will always have a chance of winning. granted it may be a small chance but non the less its still a chance
Daoc CoH and WoW

PunkusJR

• Boss
Re: Wow i dont know what to put as the subject :D
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 09:02:37 PM »
There's always a chance. personally I favor the plan Z's right now, but anything towards saving our City has my full support.
I am the gun that rains judgement. I am the chill in the spine of evil doers. I am the flame that burns with justice. I am the teal angel that rises from death! I! AM! KAIT0!

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 02:00:52 PM »
However there may be certain projects going on certain business deals going down that perhaps aren't going to be publicized till they are near completion/have worked out well.

This is such a possibility, and one of the reasons I won't give up..well stated, alphajaybo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 02:39:58 PM »
Some projects likely won't get ANY warning from here and likely would have to spring out via emails or private messages at some other site such as Facebook. Let's say a SCoRE team (Secret Cabal of Reverse Engineers) wants to release stuff - you absolutely would not want it tied here in any way shape or form.

Many have discussed it as the shotgun approach would be best for that - in other words flood the P2P sites with the code like from a library computer on a flash drive or some such random way. Then it would be in the wild and downloaded thousands of times.

shadeovblack

• Minion
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 07:41:12 PM »
Never give up, Never surrender!

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 03:31:07 PM »
Never give up, Never surrender!
Never wear pants!

(Unless your hero is Captain Business Casual or something; then it's alright.)
So far so good. Onward and upward!

CrimsonCapacitor

• Captain of the Hard Ship
  • Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 08:04:47 PM »
Never wear pants!

(Unless your hero is Captain Business Casual or something; then it's alright.)

I had an "Action Item Man" (Time Troller... He had the ability to stop time, get it?).  Does that count?
Beware the mighty faceplant!

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 01:12:36 AM »
Some projects likely won't get ANY warning from here and likely would have to spring out via emails or private messages at some other site such as Facebook. Let's say a SCoRE team (Secret Cabal of Reverse Engineers) wants to release stuff - you absolutely would not want it tied here in any way shape or form.

Many have discussed it as the shotgun approach would be best for that - in other words flood the P2P sites with the code like from a library computer on a flash drive or some such random way. Then it would be in the wild and downloaded thousands of times.

Oh please don't let access to Facebook be integral to getting on a private server, because not all of us Facebook. [I don't, because Facebook is a hotbed of trouble and getting people fired; my workplace is notorious for monitoring everything employees say on it.]

PMs here leading to offsite conversations ought to do the trick, really.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 04:20:11 AM »
Wow!  :)  Another person who doesn't use Facebook!  I thought I was the only one!

As for me, I'm entirely in favor of legitimate, direct, non-back-alley-feeling approaches, especially when there's the potential for legal action against the folks in the know.  I'm definitely one of those folks who really would rather not know about any reverse engineering and the like.  I would love to have City of Heroes back for the playing, sure, but I and I'd hope many, many others aren't looking to circumnavigate the law to try to do it.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 05:01:17 AM »
Wow!  :)  Another person who doesn't use Facebook!  I thought I was the only one!
See my post here: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,9021.msg129614.html#msg129614.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 05:25:42 AM »
I cant say I am a Facebook User. I had one way back when before went corporate and right after they opened it up to the public.  when Myspace was the "It" thing to be on because a relative had (who had one lot longer before it became the hot thing for public when it was open only to college students) pics there I wanted to see. Then had it for a while strictly family, then they change a few stuff in the privacy thing and I stopped. Either way, no real name, no pictures, and I think only one diagram of some vacuum pump is the only picture I posted there. So it's possible my account is floating around but don't know nor want to remember any of the log in details and thus it might as well not exist. Only thing they got out of me is some name I made up while wasted and a pic of a vacuum pump diagram.

Nightwatch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 05:42:03 AM »
Oh please don't let access to Facebook be integral to getting on a private server, because not all of us Facebook. [I don't, because Facebook is a hotbed of trouble and getting people fired; my workplace is notorious for monitoring everything employees say on it.]

PMs here leading to offsite conversations ought to do the trick, really.

Totally agree with this.

grouchybeast

• Underling
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 01:20:08 PM »
I have a fake name Facebook account that I created for signing up for CoX giveaways, and now use for checking on the handful of things on FB in which I'm interested.  The FB fake account police have not so far tracked me down and killed me.

healix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 04:08:04 PM »
LOL....the Cops 'Bad Boys' theme song is now running through my head *whatcha gonna do when they come for you*
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 03:09:03 AM »
I had an "Action Item Man" (Time Troller... He had the ability to stop time, get it?).  Does that count?
Close enough, i think, but pants would still be discouraged if he was a hero out of respect for tradition and Troy Hickman.

As for CoH... i'm waiting for opportunities to back some of the successor projects in concrete ways, and hope to eventually have access to a SWGemu equivalent for CoH if nothing else. Currently i'm mostly keeping up with CoH-related developments through here, several Facebook pages, and some of the successor project sites. While i would love to get the game back properly at this point it seems that the alternatives are on a shorter timeline.

It still seems like some of the most boneheaded timing to have killed the game around the time movies like The Avengers were making the genre popular internationally in a big way. Especially since CoH was in the black, even if it wasn't a huge hit at the time. Still somewhat puzzled as to why NCsoft didn't put out the next issue and then wind down the studio to put the game into maintenance mode instead of abruptly killing it. i guess that's not the NCsoft way.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

kierthos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 04:03:42 AM »
I had a character named "Sans Pantalones"  - Zorro-esque swashbuckler from the waist up, tighty whities, and boots. (His battle cry was "Does anyone else feel a draft?")

healix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 05:15:32 PM »
LOLOL, kierthos...that really did make me laugh out loud!!

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 02:31:24 PM »
So recently i have seen some posts on various websites and even on the titan forums with people basically saying that they have lost hope and that they don't think they can continue thinking possibly/cant stay fighting  to get CoH back, (That was my interpretation on them anyway.) The thing is that if we give up now after all this time what was the point in even fighting for CoH anyway, Sure it's been a year and there has been no MASSIVE breakthroughs with company's thinking about Buying or attempting to buy CoH's IP. However there may be certain projects going on certain business deals going down that perhaps aren't going to be publicized till they are near completion/have worked out well. what im trying to say is even though there hasn't been any massive breakthroughs it doesn't mean that people haven't made small progress towards emulations ect. as long as we all stay strong and fight for The hero's and villain's of Paragon city we will always have a chance of winning. granted it may be a small chance but non the less its still a chance
Well, it hasn't been a full year yet since server shutdown (12/1), though it has been a year since the "sunset" notice (8/31).  While a year is long, it is not long in terms of fan action and what we are trying to accomplish.  We had massive writing campaigns to Disney, Google and ColbertNation; creativity, humor, and camaraderie continued here on the forums.  Various tribute web sites and videos were created, etc.  We even had the 9-year non-existent game Anniversary with the Devs!  Here's to hoping 2014 sees the return of City of Heroes and/or one or another of the spiritual successors. 

/em holdtorch
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

healix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 05:44:54 PM »
JR!!!! How great to see you back....glad to see your torch is still burning brightly!