Author Topic: Korra returns Tonight on Nick  (Read 5464 times)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Korra returns Tonight on Nick
« on: September 13, 2013, 10:23:59 AM »
7p EDT on Nick.  One hour this week (two episodes) and for 1/2 hour normally.

I'm going to say that if you didn't like the first set of episodes, it probably isn't going to get any better for you.  With the main characters older than the original, isn't going to have the same level of gags to lighten the mood between the characters that the original had.  You already have two romantic triangles going on and they are adding Korra reconnecting with her parents (which is always interesting when teenagers are involved), communing with the first Avatar and dealing with a crisis in the spirit world (which I'm guessing will have to do with the rapid technological development that's gone on in the last 70 years).
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
Re: Korra returns Tonight on Nick
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 08:16:28 AM »
Pretty much what I expected.  Korra is unfortunately written as the classic teenage girl who you can never give the right answer to whatever question she asks.  Plus the whole Tenzin and her Father issues.

Her uncle is too obvious to be the "bad guy".  Not sure what's up with her niece.  Also we get to see Aang and Katara's other children.  Bolin is forever the "Zander".  At least this season he's being paired up with Korra's cousin Eska who is voiced by Aubrey Plaza in all her deadpanness.  Mako is still Korra's squeeze and has joined the police force but is now traveling with Korra.  Asami is still around trying to save her company.

It was so much easier when most of the time you knew who were the "bad guys".

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 03:11:36 PM »
It was great, IMO.

Twins are my favorite new characters.

I enjoyed the first season, I'll enjoy this one too.

Plus, the show is confirmed for four seasons, apparently.

8)
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 05:46:51 PM »
It was enjoyable.  Maybe I'm jaded in my old age, that I'm way to familiar with tropes, especially the inscrutable teenage woman where every conversation is a mine field thereby terrifying the men in their lives.

As for the twins, they writers are really drawing on the whole "The Shining" vibe with them.  I love Aubrey Plaza (Safety Not Guaranteed is a great film) and I would have love to see her as a live action Daria for real.

In the season preview it does appear that Korra will be traveling to the Fire Nation capital so it will be interesting to see if we run into anyone else we know.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 01:36:05 AM »
It was enjoyable.  Maybe I'm jaded in my old age, that I'm way to familiar with tropes, especially the inscrutable teenage woman where every conversation is a mine field thereby terrifying the men in their lives.

As for the twins, they writers are really drawing on the whole "The Shining" vibe with them.  I love Aubrey Plaza (Safety Not Guaranteed is a great film) and I would have love to see her as a live action Daria for real.

In the season preview it does appear that Korra will be traveling to the Fire Nation capital so it will be interesting to see if we run into anyone else we know.

I loved that Daria cartoon.

Magus Prime

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 07:09:30 AM »
Just saw the latest episode.  Really like everything up to this point except for the back and forth between Bumi, Kya, and Tenzhin.  It really reminded me of the beach episode where everyone vents and wines about the short ends of their sticks.  Not sure why the writers feel an exchange is at all necessary to flesh out the characters.  I think it's one of those things that's better off left ambiguous.  The audience is smart enough to reach these conclusions themselves.  In any event, I'm glad we get introduced to Aang's other kids.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 10:25:21 PM »
I see the theme about families will be strong in this book.  Korra's uncle is a first class asshat but I suspect that he may have been manipulated himself.  There are beings in the spirit world who would love to pass freely into ours.

Scarey twin chasing Bolin.  Where's the other one?

So now they are on the road again ... or water ... to get help and likely to train Korra to get better in touch with the spirits.  Bet 1st avatar is front and center in that training.

Honestly this story would be so over if Korra just stoned her uncle in a box, trapping his limbs so he couldn't bend.

"Avatar must remain neutral"?  What BS is that?  The Avatar upholds the balance between the four nations as well as the human and spirit world.  She's the UN with a backbone.  Yes it's an internal dispute within the water nation and I'll bet the new President will go all Prime Directive on her so she has to go find allies herself by visiting the other 3 nations.  All the while staying ahead of her uncle, her cousin and whatever bad spirits that is trying to pull a fast one here.

Magus Prime

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 04:30:48 AM »
I rather enjoyed the family photo with Aang, Katara and the kids.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 06:47:36 AM »
I rather enjoyed the family photo with Aang, Katara and the kids.

Had to rewind and pause that on Nick.com.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 02:47:44 PM »
"Avatar must remain neutral"?  What BS is that?  The Avatar upholds the balance between the four nations as well as the human and spirit world. 
Neutral is one way to maintain Balance, but not the only way.  More importantly it's a convenient definition for an invader to use when he wants to neutralize his biggest threat.

Unalaq is Loki to Tonraq's Thor. 

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 09:55:41 PM »
Why do I now think Varrick is a villain?

I don't want to be those two veteran cops when Lin finds out they "filed" Mako's lead.

Tenzin created a monster, Meelo and his army of flying lemurs.  Now that Ikki and Meelo have had there time, lets get back to Jinora and the first avatar.

Absolute

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 02:52:30 AM »
Loved the original (Seen it several times), but I could only watch the first few episodes of Korra.

Aside from the society going from a nice Eastern style Buddhist to an industrial city, FatherXmas is right, it lacks things to lighten the mood. I didn't see the humour.

Different style in writing, different environment, basically a whole different world. Even the police using metal bending doesn't seem right, I thought only a couple of the strongest earth benders in the world could do that after finding enlightenment that the elements are connected and metal is just refined earth. It seems it went from a spiritual journey, realizing the philosophies of the Air nomads, exploring the vast history of the nations...to a teenage girl with problems.

I would say Avatar was much more holistic in it's lore, character and world, and unfortunately Korra is stuck in a world where that's had it's history already restored.

That being said, in the last Avatar episode we see Aang learning that originally they would bend energy before the elements. You could explore that a bit more.

Honestly I think they should have gone backwards. Go back to a PREVIOUS Avatar, make things even more simple (Less tech) but have the same problems/challenges. I would most likely watch that.

Bending elements in a society without technology > Bending elements when cars exist

Magus Prime

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 03:44:23 AM »
I think A:TLA was the better effort all-in-all.  It'd be a waste of time to speculate on all the variables that went into making it a great show vs. what A:LoK is lacking but I daresay that the original series was more enjoyable because almost every character had an arc.  Also their interactions were more interesting.  LoK feels rushed which was a wrinkle I thought would be ironed out now that the creators are guaranteed more than one season to play with the story.  But to be clear, I find the show enjoyable despite it not being as well-crafted as its predecessor.

Magus Prime

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2013, 01:49:15 PM »
Thought THIS was really cool. Vid's about 7 min. long.  Wonder how much it sells for.

Magus Prime

• Boss
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 02:46:08 PM »
Well the last episode, "The Sting" left me feeling unsatisfied.  Everything just felt like filler.  From all of Bolin's scenes to anything with Varick in it.  Also, it just feels like they're trying too hard to make Varick silly with all of his non sequiturs.  Then to end it on the old amnesia trope was the icing on the cake.  Don't know why it's a requisite to have an episode where the protagonist forgets who they are.  It's been done to death.  Anyhoo, I just feel like I'm biding my time through this whole water tribe turmoil till we get to the part about Wan.  By the way, odd choice on the change up in animation style for his flashback.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 05:24:03 PM »
Actually it allowed the B and C (or is that C and D) stories to move along.  The corruption of Bolin.  The fact that, as I guessed last week, that Varick is really a villain just after Asami's company.  That Asami still holds a torch for Mako but the feeling isn't mutual ... yet (depends if the news of Korra's demise reaches them before the news that she was found).

As for Korra's amnesia.  If there was a hero in any story that needed a personality overhaul it's her.  They played the teenage woman with her emotions all over the map from moment to moment with any logical thought process out the window card way too often so far.

Magus Prime

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 08:56:13 AM »
Just watched the back to back episodes about Wan.  Finally feel like we're getting some traction.  Don't wanna give anything away so all I'll say is I loved these two episodes.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2013, 02:38:29 PM »
Great stuff.

Can't wait to see who will be the bigger villain later on, Unalaq or Varrick.

:D

Magus Prime

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2013, 02:52:28 PM »
Really don't care about Mako and Asami especially now that they're doing an elapsed time storyline with them.  The way Mako can't get a word in edgewise with Lin just feels like sloppy writing to me.  Korra seems more mellowed out since getting in touch with Wan and less annoying so there's at least that.  Really love Jinorra.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2013, 03:38:51 PM »
This latest episode was great, BUNNIES!

The colors, the Tenzin parts, the Varrick..

The twins, and how Unalaq doesn't even care about them.. what a jerk.

:D