Author Topic: Tomb Raider Reboot Questions and Thoughts  (Read 1544 times)

ag88t88

• Lieutenant
  • Ice_Wall
Tomb Raider Reboot Questions and Thoughts
« on: September 07, 2013, 09:12:09 AM »

A quick question before I get to my general thoughts.  I know I was fighting cultists most of the time, but some where in the beginning it seemed like there were straight up military guys torching some of the ruins and I was fighting with them and they didn't seem like the same faction as the cultists. Did I miss something with those guys, were they cultists or another group and if another group, what ever happened to them? 

Anyway,  I just finished playing through this, I got it during the Steam Summer Sale along with about 20 other games and I've been working my way through.  Hitman Absolution - Meh,  Deus Ex- Not as good as people said it was.

Tomb Raider though, I really liked, though I think some things were a little over the top particularly in terms to the level of violence if Lara dies, and the sheer number of things she "survives".  I know the point of the story is that she is a survivor, but seriously it seemed like there were portions of the game where every 20 minutes the floor was falling out from under her and I was treated to a cut scene of her in something or on something that gave way and her falling off and hitting the floor only to fall off that too several more times.  At some point the "survivor" but got silly because I was just thinking, shit no one could survive those kinds of falls and be walking around after, much less a dozen of them in a 48 hour period.   Also wasn't crazy about how many little mini cut scenes would kick in to show me those falls, removing player agency was just not needed. Could have just had a little better level design to connect one area to the other without so many cut scenes and let me play through it.

Also the story was a bit silly in some places but for the most part the game was paced well had great mechanics and provided a much deeper experience even just game play wise than her other games did.  The shooting and combat was leaps and bounds better than her previous games and I was really impressed by the number of mechanics in place, cover, stealth, shooting, combat, melee etc, but all of them worked well, none of them felt shoe-horned into the experience or half done.  The puzzles were good and if I have time I might go back and explore the island more.  All in all a good game.

As as side note, and this is just my personal preference, I get that they wanted to re-design lara as a serious adventurer and less of a sexed up doll, but they could have had one or two outfits with just a little more sex appeal than the ones they had there, particularly for exploring the island in after the game.  I know, I know she's supposed to be more realistic or whatever now, but I don't feel like being more feminist or serious means she can't be a little sexy at the same time.  Though over all I do like her redesign. 

JetFlash

• Boss
Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Questions and Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 05:48:34 PM »
Pretty sure the human enemies were all cultists.

And RE: Lara's sex appeal:  IMHO this rendition of LC is by far the most attractive.  Sex appeal isn't only about how much skin you are showing.  YMMV of course.

I enjoyed the game thoroughly.  After beating it I went back and completely explored the island (100% exploration on all zones).  Only thing is that I have no interest in playing it again.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Questions and Thoughts
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 06:30:32 PM »
Pretty sure the human enemies were all cultists.

And RE: Lara's sex appeal:  IMHO this rendition of LC is by far the most attractive.  Sex appeal isn't only about how much skin you are showing.  YMMV of course.

I enjoyed the game thoroughly.  After beating it I went back and completely explored the island (100% exploration on all zones).  Only thing is that I have no interest in playing it again.
sex sales.

Show a beer commercial with a can of beer, it's just beer. Now put a bikini clad woman in there, and then you get more attention.

Speaking of which, anyone looks good in a bikini want to do a kickstarter video? I'm going to sell Fly Wings. I figure as long as there someone with good sex appeal, they will sale like hot cakes! And maybe advertise it as something that will make ya look cool and can attract bikini clad women just like in the video if you buy Fly Wings. And for an extra $50, I can do upscale Fly Wings that is imported straight from France (according to the tag.). People like to pay lot of money for stuff with some French or Italian looking name on the tag.  :P