Author Topic: Lost In Space (Original TV Show)  (Read 7715 times)

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
Lost In Space (Original TV Show)
« on: September 01, 2013, 12:28:03 AM »
So about a month or so ago I stumbled on MeTV, a cable channel I didn't know that I had which shows old time classic shows. Growing up in the 70s, I saw lots of old shows like Gilligan's Island, Brady Bunch, Star Trek, Batman, etc ... but Lost In Space is one television show that was never shown in my area.

Have to say that Dr. Smith does make the show but it's a wonder that they didn't kill him. :D

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Re: Lost In Space (Original TV Show)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 07:25:30 AM »
Of course the original TV show, it's not like there was a movie ever made.

THERE WASN'T A MOVIE EVER MADE!!

Anyways you can also watch it online, depending on where you are and what device you are watching on, on Hulu.

Actually a lot of old shows are available on Hulu.  There's a whole 80s action series section.  I've been watching Airwolf on and off.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 10:15:17 AM »
I liked the movie...

*RUNS*

r00tb0ySlim

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 09:07:52 PM »
Maybe Forbidden Planet can count as the closest thing to a Lost in Space movie because Robby the Robot was in it (albeit a bit different look)....Hey, both were designed by Robert Kinoshita so it must count  ;D

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 02:38:14 PM »
Of course the original TV show, it's not like there was a movie ever made.

THERE WASN'T A MOVIE EVER MADE!!

Then what was this?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120738/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1

Just because it wasn't what you wanted to see doesn't make it any less relevant than any of the other Hollywood re-writes / re-imaginings / ripoffs of so many properties we've seen them mutilate over the decades.  Besides, they had the majority of the original cast members in the film for various bit parts, which was a plus in my book.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 06:19:33 PM »
Then what was this?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120738/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1

Just because it wasn't what you wanted to see doesn't make it any less relevant than any of the other Hollywood re-writes / re-imaginings / ripoffs of so many properties we've seen them mutilate over the decades.  Besides, they had the majority of the original cast members in the film for various bit parts, which was a plus in my book.

I thought the movie was all right, but I think they really made a mistake in having an adult Will NOT be played by Bill Mumy. Seriously, it's not like he wasn't still an actor or anything.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 10:14:42 PM »
They took this, the Jupiter II, a ship with an almost Tardis proportioned interior

and in the movie turned into into an aeroshell that's destoryed to house this monstrosity

And let's not even talk about what they did to the poor Robot B9.

How would Star Trek fans react if they redesigned the Enterprise to look like this?

Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 02:38:47 AM »
They took this, the Jupiter II, a ship with an almost Tardis proportioned interior

and in the movie turned into into an aeroshell that's destoryed to house this monstrosity

See - I'm still waiting for the above to be a negative. You know WHY? Because to me - the movie Jupiter 2 looks a lot like a 200 Ton Free Trader from Traveller. And I LOVED that style of ship.

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 04:38:23 AM »
I thought the movie was all right, but I think they really made a mistake in having an adult Will NOT be played by Bill Mumy. Seriously, it's not like he wasn't still an actor or anything.

Unfortunately, there was a scheduling conflict with his regular job (at the time) on Babylon 5.  Otherwise, he would have been glad to do the part.  And I agree, it would have been nice to see him playing the adult Will Robinson.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 03:16:33 PM »
I was also kind of fond of the movie...

(stands his ground)

It didn't have quite the same low budget charm of the original, but it wasn't that bad. In particular, I liked how Gary Oldman turned Dr. Smith from a bumbling fool into a fairly serious threat.

Now, back to the original show, Dr. Smith being a bumbling fool was one of the primary plot drivers. True, like Gilligan, everybody's life might have been a bit easier if they just shot him, but they would have lost a great character. Jonathan Harris did a wonderful job making Smith an over the top coward, more interested in self preservation than in teamwork. But he also did have some redeeming qualities. The interaction with the robot is classic duo comedy and we did get to see that he actually cared about Will. Smith even gets a few moments of heroics.

Nope, I'll hold the middle ground here and say that both are perfectly valid interpretations of the story.

Just don't get me started on Battlestar Galactica....
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 06:23:52 PM »
Maybe Forbidden Planet can count as the closest thing to a Lost in Space movie because Robby the Robot was in it (albeit a bit different look)....Hey, both were designed by Robert Kinoshita so it must count  ;D

He is also in "The Invisible Boy"

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 11:47:36 AM »
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

Razy

• Minion
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 02:53:56 PM »

How would Star Trek fans react if they redesigned the Enterprise to look like this?

Andromeda as the new enterprise....? Nah, Andromea looks too cool for it.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 08:30:21 PM »
Andromeda is a damn cool looking ship, and in fact looks entirely like the sort of thing that would fit into the regular Star Trek universe. But it'd be a non-standard Federation ship or that of another faction.

Some Vulcan ships have a similar look, actually.

But assigning the name "Enterprise" to one? Nope. Never happen.