Author Topic: CO is too Twitchy/Clicky  (Read 2300 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
CO is too Twitchy/Clicky
« on: September 08, 2013, 05:03:53 PM »
Have you heard this complaint before?

I didn't really understand it fully until I made a Devastator and assigned spam attacks to the left and right mouse buttons.

Now, I never assign spam attacks to L/R.. Wow, was that an annoying rat-a-tat-tat.

And I never assign anything single-click to L except the Targeting option - otherwise I lose the ability to L-click on objects and players.

A best use that I've found for L/R is, L, for easy targeting, and, targeting isn't spammy, so I don't get that rat-a-tat. Double bonus.

R, for attacks that have an effect when fully charged. Then when I tap R, I know that the attack is gonna be fully charged and give me the effect when/if it goes off - which is the main/only reason I use some attacks. And, there is no way to spam an attack like this due to they have charge times. Double bonus, too.

Anything spammy in L/R is way too click-clicky and probably will help you to quickly hate the game. I sure get that now! (And I get that some people don't like to click/press a button a lot, too.)

In case it's not obvious... It definitely helps to have a gaming mouse or some other controller - IE it has lots of/more than 2, buttons
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
Re: CO is too Twitchy/Clicky
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 06:13:45 PM »
this is a first for me, I always thought co to be less clicky then dcu and neverwinter
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
Maybe it's in comparison to CoH that I was reading this.

Don't put your spam attacks on your loud-by-design buttons would be my main tip. Up until recently it just happened to work out that I never did. Drove me nuts when I did! Big lightbulb moment in regards to understanding the complaint.

I like that I can always use r-click to reliably (as possible) fully charge a chargeable power with a simple click, too. Maybe that tip is decent for someone else. I was happy when I stumbled onto it.

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 09:18:48 PM »
I use an Xbox controller. It actually made the game a LOT more playable for me (need to figure out how to do it for DC too).

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 03:51:21 PM »
DCUO was designed with controllers in mind, so the transition should be an easy one. I haven't done it, but I've read a lot of favorable comments from folks who have. I know the native PC control is more like the OP's description than CO. It's one of the bigger things that turns me off to that game.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 04:32:05 PM »
I think a lot of what leads to the 'CO is too twitchy' bit is that things just happen faster. In part because of a lot of different things such as:
- The minion equivalent isn't actually, CO henchmen are closer to CoH underlings in capability and more importantly durability. They die much faster, and if you use that as a base rather than henchmen = minions it actually works out all the way up to Cosmics being Giant Monsters. Everything is a step down from what it was in CoH, effectively. Which makes combat move faster because things die faster.
- Player power level is a lot lower, as well. In CoH, even a blaster could stand up to a few hits here and there and be fine. In CO, if you build a pure offense blaster style character you'll literally get knocked over by a stiff breeze. And CO tanks are more comparable to CoH scrappers or brutes in defensive capability, plus there's no ridiculously awesome buffs/debuffs in CO to make up the slack.
- Ranged vs melee balance is significantly different to how it was in CoH. In CoH, melee powers in general did somewhat more damage than comparable ranged powers. This was justified by devs with range being a defense, but the real truth of that aside it affected something else. Fights tended to clump up around the melee characters because in general the melee characters were both the ones doing the most damage and thus the highest threat, and also the only tanking ATs were all melee. IOed tanking defenders aside, that is. Meanwhile in CO anyone can be a tank, every set has the taunt advantages on some power or other. Additionally melee/range damage is skewed the other way, range tends to do more damage in CO. Which combined with the ranged tanks mean mobs go in all directions which makes for a much more mobile fight.
- Blocking. The whole mechanic of having special attacks that must be blocked is cool in theory, but in my opinion falls apart when there's five or six mobs on screen. But that's irrelevent for the purposes of this discussion, what's relevent here is when one of those special attacks happens you have to block in time or you just eat it. Which requires more attention paid.
- In CoH, you hit a button and the power went off after some length of animation time. In CO, you have to hold the button to charge or maintain a power. Or tap it constantly for tap and combo powers. Or make an autohotkey script to hit the button every half a second while it's held down to spam it constantly without wearing out your keyboard but that's another issue entirely. This means fingers have to be on buttons a lot more often and a lot higher percentage of time.
- No power queueing. You can't hit another power to fire it immediately after the current one's done in CO like you could in CoH. So again, more attention required.

Any one of those on its own probably wouldn't be that bad. But all of them together mean you have to be paying attention in combat much more in CO than you ever did in CoH. In CoH, even in incarnate trials I could stop in the middle of a fight to type a quick message in chat and generally be fine. In CO I can't because mobs move away or I get nailed with something I was supposed to block and I have to be constantly holding buttons to do anything while in CoH I could activate one power and queue up another and have 4-5 seconds to type before I had to do anything else. I know some people would consider that a bad thing but honestly it ranks among the best features of CoH for me, that one thing evolved from a heap of little details. Mostly because I RP (Yeah, I know I'm weird) and in CoH I could keep up RP and combat at the same time without missing much on either side. In CO I can't, because my attention has to constantly be on the fight.

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 04:48:15 PM »
Yeah, not recommended. This game is much closer to arcade action.
Spess

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 11:47:18 PM »
I'm as old school as you can get when it comes to mouse gaming. I got a really nice cordless Xbox type controller from Logitech awhile back, for I forget what game right now.. but, I just have to have one hand resting over the arrow keys and one hand on the mouse or things aren't right. I know there is gonna come a day in my lifetime when you can't game like this anymore and I just hope I can adapt.

Have to have a gaming mouse though. Has to be cordless too. And Laser. And most likely it has to come from Logitech. I'll try other stuff, but, been buying Logitech since the beginning for interface stuff and it's been working out pretty well so I stick with them.

Two button mouse & keyboard gaming, with any game, went the way of the dinosaur with me some years ago.
Some Faves:

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 11:55:49 PM »
I like controllers, but I've never gotten one to work with an MMO in a way that I found more efficient. I'm not a staunch supporter of the keyboard and mouse, but I will take corded over cordless. The response is quicker, and a corded keyboard will never "go to sleep." :)

I am considering a mouse with more buttons, but probably not as spendy as the stuff Matt was talking about in his latest column, but it did give me a good starting point in my search.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 12:33:10 AM »
I'm not a staunch supporter of the keyboard and mouse, but I will take corded over cordless. The response is quicker, and a corded keyboard will never "go to sleep." :)

I tell you right now that your mouse doesn't respond better than my G700. If it does, then it is some superultramegamouse. Good cordless *gaming* mice today are precision pieces of equipment. If you do manage to have reception problems, do what I do and get a dongle and plug your transmitter into it and run that baby to right next to your mousepad. If your mouse can't get perfect reception at 2" - 6" distance... welllll.....

I've had this latest cordless keyboard for over a year now and it never goes to sleep and I've not put any (2 AA?) batteries in it yet. I never had any cordless keyboard go to sleep as far as that goes.

J00 got to get the good stuff mahn. And use it good.

I can just about guarantee you that you have no performance gain whatsoever in your corded stuff versus my cordless. Plus, you have to drag that cord around every time you move your mouse. You don't notice it now, but when it's gone you begin to realize the freedom. I use mine plugged in to a cord sometimes when I'm not gaming so it can stay fully charged and if I forget to take it off the cord before I start gaming again - I notice it right away. The drag.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. I tell you this partly to encourage you to give quality modern cordless gaming gear another try and also in response to the people out there that were nodding their head when they read your comments. I have heard this too often before! It's not true. You can get superior performance *and* ditch the cords at the same time for even more superiousness & Freedom.

I played Fortuna from the ..can this morning hehe! In this situation it helps to play on a TV or similar, too..

Some Faves:

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 03:01:04 AM »
DCUO was designed with controllers in mind, so the transition should be an easy one. I haven't done it, but I've read a lot of favorable comments from folks who have. I know the native PC control is more like the OP's description than CO. It's one of the bigger things that turns me off to that game.

Yeah. My problem was when the game first came out, it didn't appear to support Xbox controllers. I thought I'd read something since then, saying that they now did support them, but haven't looked into it much (since I don't play it much).