Author Topic: Lex Luthor is...  (Read 2195 times)

Magus Prime

• Boss
Lex Luthor is...
« on: August 27, 2013, 12:58:35 AM »
Bryan Cranston.  I am okay with this.  More comfortable than I am with Ben Affleck.  Cranston isn't my first choice but only because for me he was the obvious choice (if that makes any sense).  I would have liked to see Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy) take a crack at the role.  Slightly more handsome, fit, and dashing, yet every bit as sinister.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
Re: Lex Luthor is...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 12:26:08 PM »
While this has the possibility for an interesting contrast over how 2 billionaires use their wealth in a superhero world, it does increase the risk that they might have to depower Superman in some way.
Plus, there's still the looming moral threat that Batman will be the one to teach Superman how to be a hero and not a killer.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Lothic

• Lieutenant
  • Like tears in rain...
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 01:34:43 PM »
While this has the possibility for an interesting contrast over how 2 billionaires use their wealth in a superhero world, it does increase the risk that they might have to depower Superman in some way.

Well the main focus of the "Man of Steel" was whether or not Earthlings could ever really trust any of these weird Kyptonian aliens.  Sure Supes finally proved himself useful in stopping Zod and Company, but by the end of the movie we know that many humans still don't fully trust him if for no other reason than he was involved in the destruction of a big chunk of Metropolis.

I think it might be interesting if this new movie starts off having Lex Luthor initially trying to work with Bats as a united "human" front against Supes.  We all know Bats will at least be suspicious of Supes at first, and may even help Luthor figure out that Kryptonite hurts him.  Of course as the movie progresses Bats will realize that Supes is actually a good guy and will eventually help him thwart Luthor's secret master plan.

Plus, there's still the looming moral threat that Batman will be the one to teach Superman how to be a hero and not a killer.

I think Bats is uniquely qualified to help Supes deal with the moral issues of justice versus revenge.  Bats has had to come to terms with the "no killing" code he follows and will probably be able to mentor Supes in a way that no other human could.  It would be interesting to see Supes learn from the example Bats sets for himself.
CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 01:02:19 AM »
I read an article that also mentions Matt Damon as possibly being brought in as either Aquaman (which works for me) or Martian Manhunter (WTAF?)....

Magus Prime

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 12:06:49 AM »
I may have jumped the gun.  There has been no confirmation from either Cranston or the producers on who is to play Luthor.  Sorry for the misinformation.  I think these casting rumors get thrown around in the hopes that the ball gets rolling in that direction. 

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 04:44:28 PM »
I may have jumped the gun.  There has been no confirmation from either Cranston or the producers on who is to play Luthor.  Sorry for the misinformation.  I think these casting rumors get thrown around in the hopes that the ball gets rolling in that direction.

I stopped paying attention to movie casting rumors years ago back when the live action Dragonball Z movie was still little more than an unfounded rumor (2002ish?) and some people were insisting Danny DeVito was going to be Krillin... ???

And that's the problem with movie casting rumors. The people coming up with some of these rumors have bunk to base their statements on, and the ones who are doing the casting are most likely ignoring the rumors anyways, so their decisions, if not already made, are unlikely to be influenced by such rumors.

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 10:33:36 PM »
I think Bats is uniquely qualified to help Supes deal with the moral issues of justice versus revenge.  Bats has had to come to terms with the "no killing" code he follows and will probably be able to mentor Supes in a way that no other human could.  It would be interesting to see Supes learn from the example Bats sets for himself.

Just had to comment on this part here. This is exactly what John Byrne did when he wrote the post Crisis origin of Superman.  That was the origin that DC used for years (occasionally tweaked during things like Zero Hour, but essentionally it was the origin used by writers up until post 52). In the origin Batman had already been operating in Gotham for a while and Supes was just getting started. People knew about Superman, but he wasn't the hero's hero yet. 

Batman had come to Metropolis on the trail of some criminal, and of course Superman had to check into this guy showing up, beating up seemingly random people, and stringing them up on street lights.  After the usual superhero misunderstanding fight they start to work together.  In the end it ends up with Batman leaving, acknowleging that Superman is a legit hero and Supes coming away knowing that there are others out there doing good because its the right thing to do.  And an appreciation of what humans are capable of. Its the idea that the 'hero' isn't actually a Hero until acknowledged by an older/established hero.

It also had the great moment of Batman, after realizing that a thug lied to him during an interrogation goes, "him, seems he's more afraid of her than he is of me.  Shame really. He's such an athletic kind of guy, he's really going to hate spending the next few months with two broken legs.". An Superman's astonishment that Bats would even think of doing something like that
Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen