Author Topic: Batman is cast...  (Read 8734 times)

Magus Prime

• Boss
Batman is cast...
« on: August 23, 2013, 02:16:36 AM »
Ben Affleck has been reported to be cast as the new Batman.  I dunno.  I'm sure a bunch of folks are gonna be up in arms about this and needless to say the name Daredevil will be invoked as exhibit A.  I'm cautiously optimistic.  Ben has been showing a slight degree of talent since Hollywoodland and has been keeping his nose clean as far as stinker films go.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
Re: Batman is cast...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 02:32:48 AM »
and yet I don't think he has the gravitas to pull it off. to be both the intimidating Dark Knight and the playboy Bruce Wayne. he is a good actor, but that's  very specific talent set to call on.

what bothers me more though... if they really want batmanslashsuperman to be out by summer 2015, they need to start principal photography within the next few weeks. that does not bode well for quality story telling
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 02:40:50 AM »
It's as if millions of DC comic geeks suddenly cried out in terror...

As good as he was in Argo and The Town, I don't know if he could play millionaire playboy by day, scary vigilante detective at night.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 02:50:16 AM »
Well, heck why go with Affleck when you've got a guy like Val Kilmer around. Best thing about him is he already has experience with the roll.... :roll:

I think Affleck could do a good Bruce Wayne, but I just can't see him as Batman at all. Even if he does a stupid semi-demonic voice: "WHARISLOIS?!?!"

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 02:51:37 AM »
dude, have you seen kilmer lately?
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 03:09:51 AM »
I'll say it.

I think it's an inspired choice.  I like it.  Works for me.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 03:12:17 AM »
Well, heck why go with Affleck when you've got a guy like Val Kilmer around. Best thing about him is he already has experience with the roll.... :roll:

I think Affleck could do a good Bruce Wayne, but I just can't see him as Batman at all. Even if he does a stupid semi-demonic voice: "WHARISLOIS?!?!"
Uh. Val Kilmer is a creepy old dude these days. He could lose the weight he's put on, but he just looks creepy.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Arnabas

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 03:59:31 AM »
Uh. Val Kilmer is a creepy old dude these days. He could lose the weight he's put on, but he just looks creepy.

I must have been the only one to see the eye-roll.

It was not a serious comment.

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 04:22:48 AM »

beveri8469

• Boss
  • still inside atlas park hospital waiting to leave
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 05:25:31 AM »
i think it is a bad choice imo. i think jensen ackles from supernatural would make a good choice.
@Eternal Twilight
Now in Paragon

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 06:53:57 AM »

I didn't think much of Man Of Steel...
Really thought less of the next movie including Batman...

Haha, at least this cast decision has provided some entertaining reactions from people.
I'm not sure that naming any other actor (that was believable) could have created quite the same reaction.

I'll not entirely doubt his ability, but I'm not really thinking very highly of this at all. That is mostly the director though. I doubt it would really matter who they cast... unless it was Bale... then I would have been intrigued.

We shall see!

Edit: Had to do it...

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 08:50:39 AM by Electric-Knight »
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 08:59:50 AM »

Don't think Kilmer is interested anymore.

http://teamcoco.com/video/val-kilmer-old-batman
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 11:04:54 AM »
I've also read reports that Kilmer was notoriously difficult to work with as Batman.  Can't say I can blame him with how he describes wearing the suit.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Optimus Dex

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 10:59:23 PM »
Ben Affleck has been reported to be cast as the new Batman.  I dunno.  I'm sure a bunch of folks are gonna be up in arms about this and needless to say the name Daredevil will be invoked as exhibit A.  I'm cautiously optimistic.  Ben has been showing a slight degree of talent since Hollywoodland and has been keeping his nose clean as far as stinker films go.

My problem with Afleck is the same one I had with Clooney. I can see them as millionare playboy - not as a vigilante crime fighter. Certainly not as someone with the gravitas to stand up to Superman.

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 11:36:36 PM »
Heh, I'm old enough to remember the blood curdling screams that arose from general comic book fandom when they heard Michael Keaton was going to be Batman in the film that was released in '89...  I'm not overly impressed with Ben Affleck's acting, since he seems to almost always play the same basic role, in most of the movies I've seen with him in it.  Then again, I've seen a lot of worse actors. (Why, oh why didn't they choose Nicholas Cage???) GRIN!!!  Of course, perhaps they envision Bruce Wayne to be as blind as a bat in this version.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2013, 02:31:53 AM »
Saw mention of this on Fox News earlier, and kind of agreed with the news anchor's suggestion. Get Adam West to put the 'ol tights and cowl back on. ;)

Seriously though, not seeing Afleck as "Batman material", and I don't think he's ever really had a real "dark" role to showcase him being anything other than a "quirky/humorous" save his role in Dogma, and even that was too humorous to be considered serious(granted the movie was a Comedy...)...

I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt, but my gut says it's a poor choice and will either help tank the movie, or he'll be replaced before filming begins...

Magus Prime

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2013, 03:03:00 AM »
There's an article floating about how he was the "safe" choice given his potential relationship with the studio and his bankability as a director.  Hopefully, this isnt the only reason he was chosen and that he actually wowed Snyder and company in an audition.  It's bittersweet news because as talented I think Bale is, the over-the-top bat voice would have driven me bonkers.  Just imagining what a conversation with superman would sound like makes me cringe. 

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2013, 03:06:20 AM »
While this does seem a little left field, so was casting an Australian ex-soap actor to play The Joker, so this could turn out to be interesting - but at the same time, the overall direction of this current attempt at a Superman franchise could also see him becoming the new George Clooney :P
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 03:39:11 AM »
While this does seem a little left field, so was casting an Australian ex-soap actor to play The Joker, so this could turn out to be interesting - but at the same time, the overall direction of this current attempt at a Superman franchise could also see him becoming the new George Clooney :P
Exactly. I could go either way on Affleck personally... but any movie based around Man of Steel automatically goes in the shite pile for me it would have to be plated in gold and do unmentionable things to me for the price of the ticket to even get me into the theater.

We want Daniel Day Luis as Batman, and the Cohen Brothers directing; not Zack Snyder's Mallbats
-Lex Luthor

Arnabas

• Minion
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2013, 05:33:15 AM »
Affleck?

Cavill?

Benry!!