Author Topic: The Big Giant Icon Thread  (Read 202699 times)

damienray

• Lieutenant
Re: The Big Giant Icon Thread
« Reply #1340 on: July 14, 2013, 11:24:23 PM »
Wow. Paranoid much ?

Mantic

• Boss
« Reply #1341 on: July 14, 2013, 11:34:36 PM »
I don't know what you're talking about. It's fabulous news. It gets ICON out to CoH players that don't follow these forums.
+1
+10
+100

r00tb0ySlim

• Boss
« Reply #1342 on: July 15, 2013, 12:14:21 AM »

It's why I mentionned it here... I kinda got surprised it kinda had such advertisement about it. I understand the points of those who says it is good news but it is an easy way to find us and to close down anything that can be happening...

Though, at the same time, we might already have a NCSoft mole subscribed on this forum and no one would be aware of it so... it's kinda a tough way to separate what is good or not.

Maybe TonyV or Codewalker have an opinion? I would like to hear them on that topic.

I wouldn't worry about it too much and rest assured NCLimp already knows about Titan.  The more the merrier when it comes to Icon and getting peeps back to the community.  If NCLimp really wants to monitor any type of what they would deem "illegal" practices on any forums they could very easily do so and like you say maybe they are.  I see both sides here, but Icon poses no threat to NCLimp. 

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1343 on: July 15, 2013, 01:05:07 AM »
Any CoX fan who cares enough, is already here soaking up the goodness. If they CARE, they're here.

I talk up Icon when I can in Champions' CoX chat channel, which gets it out to Star Trek and Neverwinter, as well. And I've ended up enlightening several players who didn't know that it existed, and who were overjoyed to hear that they could tour the zones again. So, not ALL of them know that there are recovery efforts going on. Some are even too discouraged to hold out hope.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Sakura Tenshi

• Minion
« Reply #1344 on: July 15, 2013, 01:24:12 AM »
Funny enough, I will admit that I have talked a little bit about this on 4chan... but only because the person I was discussing it with already knew about it, and it's only been side commentary.

To be perfectly blunt, I would happily set up a thread there to give attention but... I mean.. Come on... This is anonymous we're talking about.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1345 on: July 15, 2013, 01:57:35 AM »
Wow. Paranoid much ?

Yes indeed. You BET I am paranoid when it comes to the possibility of drawing unwanted attention to these forums, and potential monitoring of any reverse-engineering efforts which may or may not be going on. I don't want anything getting in the way of those efforts.

We have one tiny little slice of happiness here in ICON. Its the one thing we have!! Damn straight I don't want anyone jeopardizing that, or getting it taken away from us. [Of course it would be very hard to take what we have now, short of conviscating everyone's machines, but still.] I can't control what others do, of course but I will not be discussing it in public ANYwhere. That is akin to painting a target on Codewalker's back - and Titan's. The less NCSoft knows the better!

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1346 on: July 15, 2013, 02:11:14 AM »
I'm kinda with Illusionss on this one - I've only discussed it with my former SG members, who are also my RL friends - and all of them despise NCSoft as well.  Otherwise, I've kept my mouth shut about it.

Scendera

• Boss
  • Faith Manages.
« Reply #1347 on: July 15, 2013, 02:15:34 AM »
I have to agree as well, hence my statements of caution earlier in the thread. We understand where Icon could lead, but making a public fuss seems...unwise.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #1348 on: July 15, 2013, 02:18:31 AM »
I don't always have time to post, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis I do read everything in this and related threads. So I'll summarize and cover a few things at once.

• I don't care if NCSoft knows about Icon. This is a public board, and I fully expect them to know about it if they're paying even the slightest bit of attention. That's fine -- it uses assets that everybody already has -- assets that they abandoned on everybody's computer after being freely available for download to ANYONE for years. Legally it should be in the clear. The source code is even provided so they can verify that it doesn't use any copyrighted IP other than mine.

It's also a good litmus test to see how they react. If they want to make a deal out of it, it will result in nothing but bad press for them and not really impact the program's availability much since it's already out there. If they are foolish enough to try to pursue real legal action beyond idle threats, I have faith that there are enough law-savvy people in this community to find a way to make them regret it. Best case scenario: by way of a judgement that sets precedent unfavorable to them in what is currently a fuzzy area.

• There will be an Icon 1.8 at some point. I haven't done much active development on it due to other things on my plate, but I have a list of features I want to try to implement. Probably nothing as 'knock-your-socks-off' as previous versions, but more refinements and nice features.

• Icon is not, and never will be, a full game. There are other projects working on that independently. The purpose of Icon is first to be the "offline character creator" that so many have clamored for, but also to offer tools that are useful for content development, whether it be for demo editors, screenshots, machinima, or even testing client mods locally.

That said, Icon is intended to be a call to the community to not give up. There are a lot of very smart people working on various reverse engineering projects, and Icon is here to show a small bit of what we're capable of, so that people realize that there will be private servers at some point. Now many of those servers will very likely be, well... private, but that's a discussion for a different thread (and there are several on these boards, so please discuss them there rather than in the Icon thread).

• A corollary to the previous, Icon is not directly related to any server-based projects (which includes single-player servers that run on the same PC as the client). It uses a completely different method that, as I discussed when I first started working on it, isn't really useful in that context. In other words, time spent working on Icon is time spent not working on what everybody really wants.

It also didn't take 6 months to get people running around Atlas Park -- that took about a week from initial conception of the idea to implementation. While Icon does benefit from other reverse engineering work done in the meantime, playing around with the client doesn't contribute much back to them.

• To all the people who have sent me PMs, I haven't had a chance to get back to most of them, but rest assured that I have read them. The thanks are very much appreciated, and it's great to see people's day brightened just a little bit. For people wanting to help, I'll point again at the SEGS project which is in need of developers. Not providing a link as I don't want them on the wrong end of the spotlight, but they're not too hard to find if you're serious about it.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1349 on: July 15, 2013, 05:21:52 AM »
Back on topic: I notice that when I try to load into many zones, it takes me instead to the inside of the hospital in that zone. For instance, I tried to load into Independence Port [/loadmap maps/City_Zones/City_03_02/City_03_02.txt] and instead of being able to ambulate about the zone, I was stuck in the hospital - and of course the elevators don't work now.

Same thing happens when I try to go to Siren's Call, and several others. Zones without a closed-in hospital area, such as the Hive, the Abyss etc. work ok. Sometimes I get lucky, as in loading into King's Row dumps me right outside Wentworth's. But otherwise, what am I doing wrong? That /nocoll 0 command doesn't do anything that I can see.

Excuse stupidity: Ill.

goodtime

• Boss
    • my videos
« Reply #1350 on: July 15, 2013, 05:32:25 AM »
Back on topic: I notice that when I try to load into many zones, it takes me instead to the inside of the hospital in that zone. For instance, I tried to load into Independence Port [/loadmap maps/City_Zones/City_03_02/City_03_02.txt] and instead of being able to ambulate about the zone, I was stuck in the hospital - and of course the elevators don't work now.
  Don't forget to check the wiki.  In your case, left and right brackets [,] cycle you through the spawn points in the game in some order, but since there are 5+ per entrance, you might use F12 to jump around randomly to get outside, or wherever you're aiming for.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1351 on: July 15, 2013, 05:36:33 AM »
That happens to me all the time using Icon.  No biggie - I use the positional editor to move my Y axis position to +500, and it gets me out of wherever I'm stuck.  Actually, it's kind of interesting some times - if you load Talos, you end up in the Matrix Room beneath the arena, which is cool.   :)

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #1352 on: July 15, 2013, 05:42:22 AM »
Same thing happens when I try to go to Siren's Call, and several others. Zones without a closed-in hospital area, such as the Hive, the Abyss etc. work ok. Sometimes I get lucky, as in loading into King's Row dumps me right outside Wentworth's. But otherwise, what am I doing wrong? That /nocoll 0 command doesn't do anything that I can see.
Isn't that /nocoll 1 to enable?
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

batqueen

• Boss
  • [flap flap]
« Reply #1353 on: July 15, 2013, 06:22:19 AM »
Yes, and /nocoll 0 to turn it back off again.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1354 on: July 15, 2013, 06:45:49 AM »
Alternately, you can hit F5 to turn clipping off, and leave the building by pressing the spacebar to rise upward, like in flying. A lot of the public-building interiors are "below" the map's ground level, so this will raise you up through the hospital room's ceiling, then the roof, and on up until you're outside. Then press F5 to turn clipping back on. I find it fun to turn clipping off, sink into the ground, and explore to see what building interiors are available. Sometimes I have to go pretty far underground to find some of them.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

spindisc

• Minion
    • Random Dice - CoH
« Reply #1355 on: July 15, 2013, 07:28:15 AM »

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1356 on: July 15, 2013, 05:04:29 PM »
Alternately, you can hit F5 to turn clipping off, and leave the building by pressing the spacebar to rise upward, like in flying. A lot of the public-building interiors are "below" the map's ground level, so this will raise you up through the hospital room's ceiling, then the roof, and on up until you're outside. Then press F5 to turn clipping back on. I find it fun to turn clipping off, sink into the ground, and explore to see what building interiors are available. Sometimes I have to go pretty far underground to find some of them.

THIS WORKS GREAT!, thank you!!!!

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #1357 on: July 15, 2013, 07:00:06 PM »
Thanks for giving us an official response to clear this up, Codewalker.

But most of all, thanks for giving us Titan Icon!

Gilliam

• Minion
« Reply #1358 on: July 15, 2013, 08:01:20 PM »
Just wanna say thank you codewalker and anybody else who work on this , just so excited that I flew around atlas park again thank you
"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1359 on: July 16, 2013, 01:37:25 AM »
Let me add to the chorus of gratitude!