Author Topic: The Big Giant Icon Thread  (Read 210972 times)

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
Re: The Big Giant Icon Thread
« Reply #1440 on: August 02, 2013, 01:25:01 AM »
Codewalker, would consider posting the links to the helpful popup menus that have been created in your first post? at 73 pages they can be hard to find.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #1441 on: August 02, 2013, 05:11:05 AM »
I was in Atlas park and I noticed the merit vendors were not in Went's. I'm also guessing that the difficulty slider dudes are also missing. Seems strange.

I know they are clickable and that doing so makes a call for a subsystem, but doesn't that hold true for mission givers?
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1442 on: August 02, 2013, 05:36:06 AM »
The NPCs that are there now were placed there by Codewalker.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Phaetan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1443 on: August 02, 2013, 05:45:25 AM »
Fun fact, for untargetable-after-summoning entities, you can spawn a different NPC, position them however you wish, and then replace them just like slapping a costume file on an NPC.  The advantage is that this allows you to have them angled however you wish for action shots and the like..

The one I knew off the top of my head was Nemesis' Brass Warpony.  The image below isn't the most clear shot to demonstrate that it is, in fact, angled off of the ground, but I was giggling too hard imagining the Canned Ham humming the theme to My Little Pony while stroking its metal mane for perfect framing.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #1444 on: August 02, 2013, 07:27:43 PM »
The NPCs that are there now were placed there by Codewalker.

The NPCs that are there now are defined as Static NPCs in the game's map files themselves -- they (or rather the instructions to spawn them) are effectively part of the map. Contacts and Trainers seem to be the primary ones that are set up this way, though a few flavor NPCs are as well.

The maps also contain spawn points (which are visible in see-everything mode), some of which have references to spawndef files that don't exist anywhere in the client files. Those are presumably the server-side instructions for what to spawn there. Anything that is combat capable, can move around, doesn't have a 100% chance to spawn, or has special scripts involved with it looks to be handed by those missing spawndefs.

Phaetan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1445 on: August 03, 2013, 01:18:28 AM »
Tacitala has added a few more maps to Wyldhunt's very handy map popmenu and I thought it useful enough to offer for others.

Praetorian PVP map moved to PVP and Kallisti Wharf is now under Paragon City zones.
The new submenu of "Other" now includes "Lord Winter's Realm," "Paragon Outdoor," "Croatoa Outdoor," "Hills," "Burning Forest," "Graveyard," "Bank," "Police Dept," "Pawn Shop," "Jewelry Store," "Batzul Hell," "Carnie Rave," "Carnie Tents (Residential,)" "Destroyed Atlas," "Manticore's Mansion," "Summer Movie Lobby," "Test Map," and "Jump Puzzle.

This version of the file should be available here.
It's my first time using that site for uploading a file, so please let me know if it's messed up.

SmugglyWuggums

• Underling
« Reply #1446 on: August 04, 2013, 04:54:31 PM »
Thank you so much for this! It's great to be back in Paragon City, even if all the citizens have been transported to an alternate parallel dimension. And took most of their working vehicles.

/benpc Fighter_Jet  ... and I've got a nifty flight simulator!

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #1447 on: August 04, 2013, 06:24:14 PM »
Tacitala has added a few more maps to Wyldhunt's very handy map popmenu and I thought it useful enough to offer for others.

Praetorian PVP map moved to PVP and Kallisti Wharf is now under Paragon City zones.
The new submenu of "Other" now includes "Lord Winter's Realm," "Paragon Outdoor," "Croatoa Outdoor," "Hills," "Burning Forest," "Graveyard," "Bank," "Police Dept," "Pawn Shop," "Jewelry Store," "Batzul Hell," "Carnie Rave," "Carnie Tents (Residential,)" "Destroyed Atlas," "Manticore's Mansion," "Summer Movie Lobby," "Test Map," and "Jump Puzzle.

This version of the file should be available here.
It's my first time using that site for uploading a file, so please let me know if it's messed up.
what path is this file looking for?  in what folder (if any) should we place it?

SmugglyWuggums

• Underling
« Reply #1448 on: August 04, 2013, 07:23:44 PM »
Put the .mnu files in the data\texts\English\Menus folder (create them if needed) and use /popmenu to access them. e.g., /popmenu maps or /popmenu npc

Phaetan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1449 on: August 04, 2013, 09:02:33 PM »
SmugglyWuggums is correct as to how to use the file.  I'd also strongly recommend grabbing batqueen's fantastic NPC spawning popmenu.

You will probably want to assign keybinds to the popmenus for convenience.  That way after loading into the game, you can type the command "/bind_load" and thereafter have the menus available at a keystroke.

pmoyer

• Minion
  • Please leave a message at the sound of the tone...
    • Magnetic Terrapin Studios
« Reply #1450 on: August 05, 2013, 12:14:59 AM »

Could somebody add maps/Missions/outdoor_missions/Outdoor_Kallisti_Wharf/IOM_Stadium/IOM_Stadium.txt to the menu?  It's a much more developed version of Kallisti Wharf -- aside from having to turn noclip on to avoid the gratuitous forcefields, it's got the entire other half the wharf area, including the under-construction stadium, and the memorial island for Statesman.

--- Philip
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 11:07:39 PM by pmoyer »

Phaetan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1451 on: August 05, 2013, 02:02:02 AM »
Done and file updated.  Thanks for pointing that out- I've been busy conspiring with Taci over a move/emote popmenu and hadn't caught that in the maps. (Soooooooooo many commands to sort through and test...)

EDIT: The Updated file has been updated with a few more maps.  If you downloaded within the first 15 minutes of the update, you should probably update again.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 02:14:38 AM by Phaetan »

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #1452 on: August 05, 2013, 01:24:07 PM »
Put the .mnu files in the data\texts\English\Menus folder (create them if needed) and use /popmenu to access them. e.g., /popmenu maps or /popmenu npc
same folder as npc popmenu        thx!

Flow-Vector

• Minion
« Reply #1453 on: August 06, 2013, 10:29:50 PM »
First off i'd like to say thank you very much for Icon, i can roam around the world and build toons which is just fantastic! Thank you very much!

Onto my thoughts, I understand that spawning and such is handled by the server and to get actual combat and spawns in CoH would be a MASSIVE undertaking, and i don't expect that from you guys/girls (What you have given us is above and beyond), but how difficult would adding combat and enemies actually be? Would it be comparable to rebuilding that half of the game? or more getting a hold of copyrighted files issues. Just some understanding is all i am after :)
"It is said that irony is the true guiding hand of fate, and what we call destiny is the cruel humor playing out its joke on the world."

I just love this quote from Sirocco.

Profile picture is Flow- my Kin/Regen scrapper from freedom and beta

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1454 on: August 06, 2013, 11:44:39 PM »
First off i'd like to say thank you very much for Icon, i can roam around the world and build toons which is just fantastic! Thank you very much!

Onto my thoughts, I understand that spawning and such is handled by the server and to get actual combat and spawns in CoH would be a MASSIVE undertaking, and i don't expect that from you guys/girls (What you have given us is above and beyond), but how difficult would adding combat and enemies actually be? Would it be comparable to rebuilding that half of the game? or more getting a hold of copyrighted files issues. Just some understanding is all i am after :)

There are definitely no efforts underway to reverse engineer the server code (we only have the client code freely available to us).  Such an undertaking would be a direct violation of NCSoft's copyright, and NCSoft (I typed this as NOSoft at first) wouldn't allow that.

;)

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1455 on: August 06, 2013, 11:56:42 PM »
It's been said before on this and other threads, so I, even as a fairly newb to the board, can repeat it.

It is above and beyond what is possible with the icon framework. Hit points, spawning, NPC pathing, and power triggering were all run from and timed off of the servers. The only reason icon 1.7 has the maps at all is because they were contained in the client, like the costume pieces and certain static NPCs like contacts, so you didn't have to redownload 1-4 gigs of info every single time you logged in. anything more than that relies on the server.

so sadly, whether it's a real game server, or a program running directly on your PC, it would require a complete working server analogue to make any form of combat happen.

whether or not someone is working on that...  8) I don't know nothin bout nothin
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1456 on: August 07, 2013, 12:02:33 AM »
There are definitely no efforts underway to reverse engineer the server code (we only have the client code freely available to us).  Such an undertaking would be a direct violation of NCSoft's copyright, and NCSoft (I typed this as NOSoft at first) wouldn't allow that.

;)
Just in case the smiley isn't enough of a hint, darkgob is being facetious (or he's just wrong). It's common knowledge that RE work began before the shutdown, and is ongoing.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Flow-Vector

• Minion
« Reply #1457 on: August 07, 2013, 12:22:23 AM »
Just in case the smiley isn't enough of a hint, darkgob is being facetious (or he's just wrong). It's common knowledge that RE work began before the shutdown, and is ongoing.

Facetious, i hear that word quite often and i never know what it means.

Also i actually missed the smiley all together, thanks for pointing it out :)
"It is said that irony is the true guiding hand of fate, and what we call destiny is the cruel humor playing out its joke on the world."

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1458 on: August 07, 2013, 12:48:45 AM »
Facetious, i hear that word quite often and i never know what it means.
Flippant. Sarcasm without the implied/actual meanness.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Flow-Vector

• Minion
« Reply #1459 on: August 07, 2013, 12:52:43 AM »
Gotcha! Thanks Agge.