Author Topic: FF upgrading  (Read 1650 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
FF upgrading
« on: August 17, 2013, 02:15:34 PM »
So, I'm getting a lil jazzed about my first FF coming up and it dawns on me that I already have toons I like and... that I can upgrade? I think?

Can Lee (Unleashed) keep what he has and get a res? Some more damage mitigation? Another DPS buff? Res would be the main thing I'd want with him.

For Xev (The Mind) I would dump the virtually useless CC stuff in favor of more protection. And a team Res.. A team (as in, not self) res would be good.. Otherwise I'd prolly try and pump up his shields and healing.

If I could make Senge (Inferno) a lot more survivable he would be bad@ss.

If I convert someone can I can play around with their SS's, too?

Or I could go a whole other route with something that has Con as a SS and can be tanky (#1) and also try and make him dps'y (as close to #1 as I can get).

The whole process is still a complete mystery to me but I'm looking forward to it being an entertaining one  : )
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
Re: FF upgrading
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 03:04:44 PM »
You can upgrade any number of archetype character into a gold freeform, for free.  But it only can happen once per character.  Once that character's upgraded, they'll be locked out if you ever lose your subscription, and you can't convert them back to a silver AT.

Once converted to a freeform, all of your character's superstats, power choices, everything are free for you to change, as you please, subject to retcon costs.  So yeah, Lee can get a rez - Freeform characters have more power choices than Archetypes.  Xev wouldn't even have to drop his crowd control stuff for more protection and a rez.  Senge could easily pick up a few defensive abilities.

Of course, I'm assuming you paid for a subscription.  I have no idea how silver zen-purchased freeform slots go.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 04:32:54 PM »
What Kaiser said.

The Devastator and Unleashed are good ATs already. What you can do is make note of your build with the Powerhouse Character builder -

http://powerhouse.nullware.com/

- and then build your freeform based on the AT. You'll find that you have some power slots and advantages left over once the build is "done" since the freeform gets more powers. Use those to round out the character and/or give little bonuses to. If you couldn't have a self-heal before, that's the first thing you should look into. Maybe an energy unlock. or perhaps a couple of ranged powers. (Good for attracting the attention of mobs and bring them to you if you're melee rather than the other way around.)

You might find that you want to do things a little differently than before. You might take a block that isn't from your standard AT for example.

Take a look at this for example:

Robot Ronin is mostly a Devastator build. But he's got a few powers from the Power Armor and Gadget pools. That energy shield is one of them. He has the "Laser Knight" advantage on it, which means it activates with any melee attack. Since that's what I'm DOING most of the time, that works out nicely.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 01:30:38 PM »
I'm (grown man playing with dollies) actually getting a little excited about this.

Was talking with SARobb last night in-game when it dawned on me that Q farming has become like one big long story arc for me, and now for the reward, I get a FF slot and Hideout. During the arc, my mission was to find 4 toons I like, level them up, and have fun.

EQ wasn't my first mmorpg but that's prolly where my roots are. 4 months to get an uber reward? (A perma FF slot and hideout!) Yeah that sounds average.

Finally sold my Q last night. Go Zen sale! No wonder they had to make a lot of Q available..

I could have bought the FF slot or the hideout if I really wanted them, weeks ago, if I'd just lowered my price on Q maybe 1%. There's been enough to do with my other guys I didn't even really consider it. No rush.

Won't take me nearly that long next time btw..

I dunno how easy the game is supposed to be... I mean, last night Bacon Overlord was discriminating against AT's in his leet FM group he was forming because he didn't have the AF and he wanted one. I replied "my AT has the AF and 2 shields already" just because... I dunno.. Some of us enjoy our AT's! And I don't want the newb AT's to think they are gimps from the booming voice of authority, either.

Anyway.. Enough gushing hehe.

So. Many. Options. Xev and Lee are already uber. Make them ubererer? In what ways... Or mix things up and make a whole new superuber. Meanwhile, my new Devastator is pounding single purple super-villains and groups of villains, almost non-stop, solo, already. He's already saved up enough Q for nearly 100 zen too. Plus, by playing him I got to meet Grond and Gigaton and learn to not dislike the desert.

Anyway. Thanks guys! Good info. Nice screenie : )
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 04:14:42 PM »
Wait... so you're actually obtaining a freeform slot with zen purchased via questionite?

Okay, in that case, let me make a recommendation.  Do not mess with your existing characters.  Why?  Because you're on a silver account and this purchase gets you a extra character slot with a completely new Freeform character.

Your existing characters are good enough to let you farm Questionite reliably.  Do they really need to be stronger?  You could have a completely-new Freeform character that could be built in any way you want.  In addition, every character slot you open up increases the amount of questionite you can farm per day by 8,000.  That's kind of a big deal.  That's an extra 39-ish zen a day at current questionite exchange rates.

The end decision of yours, but if you have the time, patience, and ability to farm questionite well, then honestly I'd go with the option that makes questionite farming more efficient.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 01:04:30 AM »
Oh hey, yeah, if I lose a character slot due to converting vs. making new then I'll go with making new. For this first time, at least. Good point.

I keep the Q farming simple. I try to log on in the morning and evening to collect dailies. When they pile up I run them all at once. I try to save the biggest pile for the weekends when the Alert queues are the fullest.

If Gravi/Nemesis alerts are rolling good I'll ride that train with Xev and Lee until they are over their 8k. I want to start trying more nemcons to see how that goes. So far so good.

Rinse and repeat when nothing else is going on. The Q just adds up over time.

That energy shield looks pretty good at second glance. There are definitely some better blocks than others. Force Shield, that Unleashed get, seems pretty decent too. I have to use it more now that I'm reminded it gives back energy! Still enjoying my Devastator but I'm not finding anything impressive about their default block, either. I can see why you'd switch that out. The Brawler Tree isn't overly impressive either. I dunno how easy stuff like that is to switch around. I do really enjoy trying the combo of str/con/rec as melee SS's, with the Devastator.

I can't decide if I wanna make something tanky or something similar to Xev with a res at this point. I wanna make a Radiant and my new Devastator seems to be here to stay and wanting to be leveled. Could also make a tankier version of Lee... *shrug*  : )

I'm leaning towards making a FF very tanky dps and making a Radiant and leveling the Devastator while I save up for another FF slot. If you can't tell, I'm still in experimentation mode. AT's are great for learning more about SS combos, skill trees (forget the real name), powers, and roles, and I have slots for 2 already.

Gah and tomorrow.. It's a marathon of mundane thoughts about things equally frivolous but not nearly as entertaining. I can feel them seeping into my wee lil brain already!

At least good ol' CO, Titan, and the poochies will be waiting. Bills are getting paid. Can't moan too much.

edit:
marathon of mundane thoughts.. hehe.. Doctor Smith would be proud.

Yeah, I suck at and hate my new part time job. These things happen. Hopefully I'll at least get the hang of it soon.

Chin up, smile on!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 01:54:08 PM by Xev »
Some Faves: