Author Topic: Sword Art Online  (Read 1374 times)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Sword Art Online
« on: August 21, 2013, 08:58:44 AM »
Has anybody else seen the anime series Sword Art Online?  It's a 25 episode anime that the dub recently started to be shown on Adult Swim.  The subtitled version is available on Hulu or Crunchyroll.  It's based on a series of YA novels.

Set in 2022 initially, full immersion MMOs are now a reality and the most recently hyped MMO, Sword Art Online just sold out it's first run of 10,000 copies.  It's a fantasy MMO with no magic or range weapons, only melee.  The world is composed of 100 "floors" with a raid level boss blocking everyone's progression to the next floor.  Once defeated the next floor is accessible by everyone.  However it turns out the the genius behind the neural interface VR helmet and the game has a sick surprise for everyone once all 10,000 have logged in.

You can't log out.  If your character dies, it's permanent.  And if you die in game, the VR helmet fries your brain in the real world, killing you there as well.  If someone tries to disconnect you or remove the VR helmet, it will kill it's user.  The only way out is for the players to clear all 100 bosses and only then will the game log everyone off.  Welcome to your new life.  Oh, one last twist, your avatar will now resemble your real life body and face.

Overall the series is enjoyable.  Limited amount of fan service, nothing over the top.  Reminds me somewhat of Key visual novels that have been turned into anime.  However the emotional blender aspect of Key stories is thankfully absent.

The trapped in SAO arc is over about half way through the series with a new VRMMORPG taking it's place.  There isn't anything bad about for most players.  It's simply a game.  One where everyone has wings and open world PvP is encouraged.  Sounds familiar somehow...

Anyways I found the series enjoyable, always wanting to see the next episode.  I don't catch a lot of "new" anime anymore but I rank it up there with Durarara!!, which was the last new series I watched.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
Re: Sword Art Online
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 02:57:45 AM »
I caught an episode out of sequence at a con and was blown away -- so I've been watching on Adult Swim.  The episode I saw seemed to have a 90-degree twist from the first few episodes, so I expect the kind of story complexity I find in good Anime -- and I'm enjoying it so far.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"