Author Topic: SINGLE-PLAYER!!!  (Read 2420 times)

freewaydog

• Minion
SINGLE-PLAYER!!!
« on: September 19, 2013, 09:57:14 PM »
I've said it before, & I will say it again:  There NEEDS to be a single-player superhero/supervillain game where we have the option to play the latter!  Unfortunately, that "Project: Awakened" thing was just an unsuccessful tease, & it was just an FPS anyway, not a true RPG!  I sure wish I knew how to create games!

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: SINGLE-PLAYER!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 09:59:33 PM »
+1 this.

Phaetan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 10:43:10 PM »
Evil Genius?

freewaydog

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 12:15:11 AM »
That's not quite the same, that's more like The Sims,..

Phaetan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 01:17:24 AM »
It was mostly a joke based on your very loose description of what you wanted in a game.
For something closer to what I think you're wanting, possibly Prototype, Infamous, or Dishonoured?
They seemed to be regarded well, although I've played none of them  myself.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 01:18:15 AM »
It was mostly a joke based on your very loose description of what you wanted in a game.
For something closer to what I think you're wanting, possibly Prototype, Infamous, or Dishonoured?
[/quote

The original Prototype is pretty fun. So's Infamous. I haven't played Dishonoured.

freewaydog

• Minion
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 02:22:34 AM »
Thanks, but I am afraid these are not what I am looking for, either.  It lacks the ability to customize your toon...I can only play the one man in each of those games....no room to play a female,...frustrating, actually....  :(  I just wish there was a single player more like COH where you can have a choice, you know?

For something closer to what I think you're wanting, possibly Prototype, Infamous, or Dishonored?

wyldhunt

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 02:46:50 PM »
A single-player, flexible character, story-driven hero PC RPG will happen. It's in my future to produce one within the next five years. Yes, I must  finish my delayed bachelor's degree first (finally happening this May!). Then I can return to game-making and programming productivity.
Wyldhunt
Guardianite since I2
Playing as Wyldhaunt on Rebirth

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 07:21:20 PM »
Thanks, but I am afraid these are not what I am looking for, either.  It lacks the ability to customize your toon...I can only play the one man in each of those games....no room to play a female,...

Well, technically in Prototype you could "absorb" a female civilian and run around with that woman's body as a disguise, but I see your point.

Most single player Superhero games focus too much on established characters that the developers come up with(or licensed characters from an existing franchise), as opposed to what the player wants to be...

The big problem with terms of "customization" for a single player game is I'm sure many developers see it as a wasted effort since you won't really be able to show off your creation to other people, and besides that, static characters are simply much easier to develop for.

It's possible that we won't see a superhero themed single player RPG game on the scale of something like Elderscrolls for quite a while, but there's nothing to stop a small indie team from forming to try and make such a game on their own.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 08:57:06 PM »
Dungeon keeper?  ;D
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

freewaydog

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 12:13:18 AM »
Dungeon keeper?  ;D

Well that's just like "Evil Genius".

Well, technically in Prototype you could "absorb" a female civilian and run around with that woman's body as a disguise, but I see your point.

Most single player Superhero games focus too much on established characters that the developers come up with(or licensed characters from an existing franchise), as opposed to what the player wants to be...

The big problem with terms of "customization" for a single player game is I'm sure many developers see it as a wasted effort since you won't really be able to show off your creation to other people, and besides that, static characters are simply much easier to develop for.

It's possible that we won't see a superhero themed single player RPG game on the scale of something like Elderscrolls for quite a while, but there's nothing to stop a small indie team from forming to try and make such a game on their own.

I hope there WILL be someday real soon!