Author Topic: CoH Table top RPG.  (Read 7092 times)

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
Re: CoH Table top RPG.
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 10:42:42 AM »
Another thing to consider is how to handle movement and power ranges without going crazy with tape measures.
Great Forge's range system goes in the right direction, but is a mite too abstract to work on larger scale.
What about splitting the combat area up into regions - depending on the scale of the game arranged in a strip of rectangles (think, small scale one team vs a few mobs) or a grid of hexagons (larger scale)?
Each region would be able to hold several characters or enemies - consider one region of the combat area to be one "brawl" at melee range.
Simplifies movement, reduces book keeping related to power ranges too.

AoE and cone powers... using templates could help. IIRC there have been some print-and-play weapon templates for Warhammer 40k going around for years now, could be a starting point.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Mouse-Man

• Minion
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2013, 12:32:12 PM »
A good free alternative for rules is Mystery Men at http://matt-landofnod.blogspot.com/p/mystery-men.html
It's an old school type of rpg, very influenced by basic Dungeons and Dragons.

Archlight

• Minion
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 08:25:55 PM »
We just used Champions 5th ed and had a discount for COH simulated power frameworks. You had to as accurately as possible mimic the primary and secondary power sets with their own frameworks. The COH disadvantage discount helped because you had to buy a lot of things sometimes to get it right.

With the builder program we had a lot of fun with it. Even had a make a bad guy contest with the players. I made a world document to get the setting right. I combined the Marvel AOA with a Dark ShadowRun type future and everyone loved it including power rules and restrictions. PM me and I will share.

We had a Babylon 5 Techno Mage, Halo Master Chief, a shape shifting robot T1000 style, Emma Frost type mentalist, COH Fire/Axe Tanker and a spandex type Ice blaster controller. Before everyone started creating aLts.

I loved our Champions game but one guy just could not figure out how to be a good player and we switched games. Because with CO being so free form he could not create characters we could stand. I said he was a Munchkin that did not know he was. We went back to Battletech and eventually gave the guy the boot.