Author Topic: ....and the new Doctor is..........  (Read 9343 times)

Mental Maden

• Boss
....and the new Doctor is..........
« on: August 04, 2013, 05:50:43 PM »
T-minus 10 minutes and counting......

Mental Maden

• Boss
Re: ....and the new Doctor is..........
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 06:36:25 PM »
Peter Capaldi. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0134922/

Don't know much of anything about him, but when he came out my first thought was, "He looks like a Doctor".

Personally I'm glad they went older this round.  I would have accepted female as well.  Really looking forward to his take on the Doctor.

Mantic

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 06:50:17 PM »
Not to knock the new guy, but I hate to see Matt Smith leaving so soon. He seemed to get short shrift on part of his run, so it doesn't even really amount to four years.

I trust Steven Moffat to make the very best use of the new guy, though.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 07:58:08 PM »
Matt Smith and Tom Baker vie for my favorite Doctor, but I am glad they are going with an older man again. We've had two younger Doctors and Nine was not-quite-older. We're due for a little more 'gravity' than the whimsy that Tennant and Smith brought (though, yes, please note I am not saying 9 and 10 weren't capable of being serious - but Smith especially is a lot more 'silly'/whimsical than the average Doctor).

Capaldi's been on Doctor Who before as a bit role, it looks like (2008, The Fires of Pompeii). I think I'm gonna see if we can re-watch that episode to see how he interacts with the Doctor/Donna.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Magus Prime

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 09:49:26 PM »
I also recognize him from Torchwood: Children of Earth.  My favorite is Tennant.  I don't think anyone else has given the Doctor more dimension.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 10:12:16 PM »
Anybody else thinks it's funny that his role in World War Z was W.H.O. Doctor?
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 10:25:25 PM »
Funny or proof of his time travelling prowess?????  Duh duh dummmmmmmm!

My second favorite piece of trivia since the news hit: he was in a punk band with Craig Ferguson (a huge fan of Doctor Who)

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 10:49:13 PM »
Anybody else thinks it's funny that his role in World War Z was W.H.O. Doctor?
That's how they casted, obviously. I can see it now. Moffat sits back and thinks "Hmmm...Dr. Who....W.H.O. Dr.?....Aha!"

And then he tells the writers Cumberbatch is the next Dr.

Then he wakes up and starts wondering what that crazy dream was about a guy in a movie lately being Dr. Who....
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 12:31:26 AM »
My favorite is Tennant.  I don't think anyone else has given the Doctor more dimension.

Jon Pertwee would have words over that.

As for the news - I'm eager to see more. I have never not liked a Doctor. The only one I'm slightly ambivalent towards is Davison, but that's more because his run essentially turned the TARDIS into a Minivan. With the Doctor turned into a Exposition Machine to explain the plot to Teegan, whose job was to describe the show to blind people. Nation Lampoon's Time and Relative Dimensions in Space.

"Look at all that peril kids. Soak in that peril."
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 12:45:04 AM »
Taking bets now on your completely uninformed conjecture on how his doctor will be portrayed:

Go!

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 12:48:59 AM »
Funny or proof of his time travelling prowess?????  Duh duh dummmmmmmm!

My second favorite piece of trivia since the news hit: he was in a punk band with Craig Ferguson (a huge fan of Doctor Who)
Mind = blown

I love when Ferguson interviews the Who cast.  cause you can tell he's pretty much told the audience to fusk off so he can fanboy out.

I agree that Tennant is probably my favourite doctor. Not for any one thing that doctor did, but for the range he showed, wheeling from glib and quirky to dark and cutting and not making it seem like a mania or bad writing. And yeah, poor Matt, how many extended hiatus and short run seasons did he end up with?

I'm afraid limited internet has prevented me from going back and rewatching the older doctors I grew up with as a kid, so my opinions are a bit skewed perhaps compared to you lucky bastards who can just go youtube or torrent them to catch up with the classic stuff.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 01:13:53 AM »
I buy my Classic Who DVDs. Worth every penny.

Also every Doctor Who fan, regardless of opinion on the Classic series, should sit down and watch Tom Baker's Genesis of the Daleks.

It really is "Required Viewing" in my opinion.
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 01:14:54 AM »
So what was with the big John Hurt reveal in the last ep? More confusion to untangle this run... Those wacky Doctors.

BTW, Tom Baker rules.
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 01:23:57 AM »
Mind = blown

I'll take it one step further then: PROOF!

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 01:24:24 AM »
Rewatch his episode; except for the actual story, they're pretty clear about it. John Hurt was a 'past Doctor'. A Doctor nobody mentions. He did something VERY bad.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 02:26:20 AM »
Only indirectly about Doctor Who:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD7Dz_1u2Jo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khjncwsmoPY

That's Craig Ferguson interviewing Peter Capaldi - back in 2009.  They're clearly still on very good terms, so I'm sure he'll be on Craig's show sooner rather than later.

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 03:43:25 AM »
I am glad they got an older* Doctor this time around.  I recognized immediately from "Torchwood - Children of Earth".  I think he will do well.

*And he is only 2 years older than me but I am in denial about how old I am.  I am not old.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 03:45:48 AM »
TonyV will be happy about this, he was clamoring for an older Doctor.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2013, 04:09:23 AM »
I joked when Matt Smith was announced that he looked so young that his companion would have to be a child.

Then the his first episode started and we met Amelia.   :o
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2013, 12:03:21 PM »
He looks potentially good.  I think the swooning girl fan club may hate him for being old and creepy, though.  Maybe we'll get a Doctor who spends less time running madly about.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.