Author Topic: Beware the Batman  (Read 3388 times)

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
Beware the Batman
« on: August 02, 2013, 04:54:01 AM »
First, with this being a new show: POTENTIAL SPOILERS

Sorry if this is "have you seen this show" overkill (I think this would be the 3rd or 4th thread I've started with that question), but I figured if anyone had seen it in the communities I frequent, this would be the one. After 3 episodes, here's where I stand.

I'm glad we finally have a new serious Batman show after 5 years or so. I like that they are focusing somewhat on his early career (though, between this show, Arkham Origins, the Zero Year arc in the comics, and an upcoming movie reboot that storyline is going to get real old, real quick), and on lesser known villains. The actual writing is good, probably on par with The Batman, however, I'm not a huge fan of the whole backstory. I think the thing that will turn off a lot of the comic nerds like us is that you hear a lot about Batman being protected by plot armor, and how he seems to get more "fantastic" with each iteration; well, this show doesn't do much to change that. After watching this third episode, there's one point where Batman sees a boot print left on the nose of the Batmobile from an earlier incident. He uses a Q-tip to wipe some of the print off and analyze it. This leads him to a series of clues that ultimately lead him to the main villain of the episode. That's the short and sweet version, but watching it, it was almost at CSI levels of over-the-top ridiculous.

The voice acting isn't bad, at least among the main characters (wasn't real impressed with Magpie in the second episode). Bats' VA does a pretty decent job of differentiating Bruce Wayne from Batman, though a truly intelligent character (should) would still catch on. Some of the lines could be seen as "made for the kids", but I think overall the characters don't "talk-down" too much.

The biggest thing I don't like is the animation and style. For one, I'm about done with CGI animation, but beyond that I really don't care for the art style, and the animation isn't all that impressive. To me, it has Star Wars: Clone Wars art with Beast Machines-era animation. Some people like one or both of those, I hated both. Considering what we've seen with the cutscenes in the Arkham line of games, I'm kind of disappointed animators don't go for that style with these cartoons.

Overall, I'd have to give it a B-. There's enough that I enjoy that I'll probably keep watching (namely that it is back to being a more serious version of Batman), but it's going to be real difficult with that art/animation style. Hopefully, as time goes on the ridiculous leaps in investigating will be toned down.

The floor is now open for discussion.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Beware the Batman
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 06:03:12 AM »
I've not caught an episode yet.  Don't care for what I've seen of it in the commercials though.  I *might* not mind the style if it were 2D animation.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 07:21:09 AM »
I've always been more of a story guy than a visuals guy.  I can't understand how someone can refuse to watch a story simply because they don't like the art style.

I don't think it's bad.  It's different.  Batman still doesn't have an arrangement with Gordon who still thinks he's dangerous.  Alfred is ex MI-6 but is sidelined after the first episode thus leading to the introduction of a Robin-esque sidekick but they are slowly building toward that.  You meet Barbara Gordon but she seems more like a Batman teen groupie for now.

The rogue's gallery is very different, pulling from more obscure foes.

Overall I think it's worth watching but I've liked all of the Batman series including Brave and the Bold.

Neon Talking Super Street Bat-Luge activate!

Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 01:15:52 PM »
If the aesthetic offends my eyes it distracts from the story and characters.  If the characters aren't well represented I don't care about them and won't get immersed in the story.  And if the story is no good I may lose interest.  Like a good sandwich, all of the elements are important, the strengths of one ingredient may be able to make up for the weaknesses of others.  If the art is good and character interactions and development play out well I might forgive a thin story, for instance.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Mantic

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 01:53:08 PM »
I like the visuals. It seems to take what very little could be salvaged of the 'The Batman" design sensibility and bring it forward into a fully realized 3D CG style. It's simple enough -- not full of sharp angles like the Star Wars cartoons, and very good about character design having distinct silhouettes. The heavy use of greens in the color palette helps a lot making a modern cityscape feel more Lovecraftian and gothic. Cinematic staging in this series reminds me mostly of the Bruce Timm Batman series (that's good, too).

Also, I'm not subject to Batman overload here, taking in everything that's out there. Much as I like Greg Capullo's work, the current run of Bats at DC does not float my boat. Nolan's films aren't Batman, period.  I strongly dislike overwrought CGI like the more recent video games; even if it is fascinating just to see such detailed characters in a video game, the novelty wears off more and more quickly for me. All that grunge and grime is just ugly noise.

So in a way, I've been waiting for something like Beware the Batman.

Although the concept changes reflect how much British influence the franchise has had ever since the late 80s, when they deal with the Batman it feels like the character Denny O'Neil wrote when I was a kid. That really appeases the old comic-nerd in me, who might otherwise have been more annoyed with the changes. You can say the super-detective shtick comes off silly and exaggerated, but that's exactly as it should be.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 02:18:19 PM by Mantic »

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 12:00:42 PM »
Watched four episodes of it, and I like the show but hate the style and animation.  Batman's lips are disturbing, and British Lex Luthor as Bruce Wayne's butler sucks.  And isn't that green sword supposed to be a katana?  And since we apparently have Katana, will the rest of the Outsiders be joining?

And on an aside, that Lois Lane short animation was better than every episode of Teen Titans Go.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 01:46:09 PM »
Watched four episodes of it, and I like the show but hate the style and animation.  Batman's lips are disturbing, and British Lex Luthor as Bruce Wayne's butler sucks.  And isn't that green sword supposed to be a katana?  And since we apparently have Katana, will the rest of the Outsiders be joining?

And on an aside, that Lois Lane short animation was better than every episode of Teen Titans Go.

That was funny wasn't it.  Plus it was Kevin Conroy as Batman.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 08:44:40 PM »
"I'm a great swimmer!"

The art is slowly growing on me, though the actual animation is still....eh.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 11:50:48 PM »

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 08:24:18 PM »
This show's getting better the more I watch it. Anthony Ruivivar makes a pretty good Batman. I enjoyed this from the last episode:

Batman: "Computer, last known address of Humpty Dumpty."

Computer: "A wall"

Batman: *bat glare* "I'll rephrase....last known address of Humphrey Dumpler, aka Humpty Dumpty."

beveri8469

• Boss
  • still inside atlas park hospital waiting to leave
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 08:47:13 PM »
ive enjoyed it so far.
animation is fine to me and i like the writing and the stories.
plus i like that they are using lesser known villians for once. enjoyed all the batman series to date. but of course nothing is gonna beat TAS and YJ imo.
@Eternal Twilight
Now in Paragon

Razy

• Minion
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 06:01:31 AM »

I can live with this batman. The green sword, not that much i prefer the non green katana version. As for teen titans go, i don't know why the huge change for the wrost. I think only silkie is worth watching on that show :P

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 01:58:51 PM »
Well nothing says "magic sword" more than glowing green.  Glowing green can also mean harsh chemicals, radioactivity and even supernatural.  Since it's a soul taker that puts it into the supernatural category.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 05:16:57 AM »
I think I'm officially hooked now. Really enjoyed this past episode.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 05:58:26 PM »
I've been watching these today On Demand.

So far it's not a bad show.

Michael Holt was presented fairly well and I'm about to check out the Metamorpho episode.