Author Topic: wtg CO  (Read 5931 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
wtg CO
« on: July 18, 2013, 07:00:35 AM »
I had a high quality gaming experience tonight and this morning when collecting dailies with no lag spikes, errors, pregnant server handshake pauses, red flashing screens, red disconnect text, I always had all my correct HP's displayed, there were no [Null Message]'s, whenever I zoned somewhere I came out on the other side and back again without having to Google and whenever I had to download something I had speeds up to 2mb/s.

Thanks CO!
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
Re: wtg CO
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 01:13:22 PM »
.. sounds like that may be my cue to re-download the game and maybe even resubscribe, at least until it bores and/or annoys me again.

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 01:58:08 PM »
Oddly enough, it wasn't until two nights ago I started suffering from some wicked rubber banding ... looking forward to see if my spikes have gone as well. 
Stand up for what you beleive in - even if you are standing alone

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 08:56:44 PM »
There was an update, today. I believe it was supposed to fix the issue with emotes. I haven't been on, yet, but I haven't seen anything on their forum about lag, today.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 10:55:57 PM »
.. sounds like that may be my cue to re-download the game and maybe even resubscribe, at least until it bores and/or annoys me again.

GAH! Jinx!

: )
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 06:31:43 AM »
Everything was perfect again today/night. Fast zoning, fast patching, no spikes. Played for ~ 4 months straight like this until the last few weeks or so when the streak ended.

I complained enough when the connection to CO was bad and things weren't fun so it seems fair to brag on them when everything works. It really is a fun game when things are like they have been recently.

Some Faves:

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 01:35:12 PM »
What's hilarious is the level of complaining about the emotes. Some are whining that a few of the emotes that were added to the cash shops were taken away a couple of years ago and were "free" to subbed players.

It actually pisses me off to read the thread, because these people have been complaining for months about the lack of developer attention, and, now that it's happening, it's not good enough or they're doing it wrong. I'm seriously ready to stop going to their forum altogether. (I started checking in over there when Jack said, "Call me." I wanted to see what the reaction was over there.)

I floated the idea of buying them lunch, kinda like what was done here for the Paragon Peeps, only just sending them pizzas, but no one has yet said where the physical offices are located. Plus, even though the interview(s) said that the dev team was roughly ten people, the LinkedIn listing for Flying Lab, the "old name," lists the company as in the 51 to 200 employee category. Pizza still seemed safe, assuming one "support" employee for each developer (I have no idea; I'm guessing), but there still is the issue of where to deliver.

Plus, I don't know Seattle to be able to say which pizza place is the best. I don't have the kind of "infrastructure," like a Paypal account, that Titan has to run something like this. Being a competing game, I wouldn't expect Titan to operate anything officially, given the ongoing drive for GuyPerfect and the like.

I'm brain-dumping this because I floated the idea in a thread devoted, essentially, to getting the attention of the new development team in a positive way, and, aside from a concurrent post and a response from the community mod (the guy with mod powers who is just a volunteer and doesn't work for Cryptic/PWE), the thread hasn't been touched for nearly 18 hours. Yet, the whining about emotes is  alive and well.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 06:43:23 PM »
Yep, CO forums are one giant unicorn-fest sad to say. I'm actually not surprised that the new dev team hasn't said much given the ungrateful attitude most of the forum users tend to display. 

I stopped going over there any more than I absolutely had too... I'd rather interact with people that don't complain constantly (*cough*titannetwork*cough*).  :)

edited for content cause i broke the curse word filter...  :-[

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 06:49:17 PM »
What's hilarious is the level of complaining about the emotes. Some are whining that a few of the emotes that were added to the cash shops were taken away a couple of years ago and were "free" to subbed players.

It actually pisses me off to read the thread, because these people have been complaining for months about the lack of developer attention, and, now that it's happening, it's not good enough or they're doing it wrong. I'm seriously ready to stop going to their forum altogether. (I started checking in over there when Jack said, "Call me." I wanted to see what the reaction was over there.)

I floated the idea of buying them lunch, kinda like what was done here for the Paragon Peeps, only just sending them pizzas, but no one has yet said where the physical offices are located. Plus, even though the interview(s) said that the dev team was roughly ten people, the LinkedIn listing for Flying Lab, the "old name," lists the company as in the 51 to 200 employee category. Pizza still seemed safe, assuming one "support" employee for each developer (I have no idea; I'm guessing), but there still is the issue of where to deliver.

Plus, I don't know Seattle to be able to say which pizza place is the best. I don't have the kind of "infrastructure," like a Paypal account, that Titan has to run something like this. Being a competing game, I wouldn't expect Titan to operate anything officially, given the ongoing drive for GuyPerfect and the like.

I'm brain-dumping this because I floated the idea in a thread devoted, essentially, to getting the attention of the new development team in a positive way, and, aside from a concurrent post and a response from the community mod (the guy with mod powers who is just a volunteer and doesn't work for Cryptic/PWE), the thread hasn't been touched for nearly 18 hours. Yet, the whining about emotes is  alive and well.

Well you know, people will complain either way. Even in COX, people complained prior to ED, then people complained even more after ED. People complained about only FoTM (pre-i13 pvp) and then people complained about post i13.

In just about every forum I been to, the forums where there is more drama and or trolling, there are pages and pages of postings but less drama free ya might get two pages in the same amount of time. I remember many questions going unanswered in the forum of COX. Yet within a day, the post about a troll or in response to a troll, had 5 pages within hours.

CO forum is like any other forum.

In general people seem to be quick to post about something they dont like and more hesitant on posting stuff when they do like it or compliments.

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 07:01:29 PM »
I do have to admit though. It was a half update. I also wonder at their excuse for taking the emotes away. It's awfully odd that they did it to stop an emote spam that was breaking the server and then release them with an "update" that adds some new emotes that some say are old emotes that used to be free (I don't know. Didn't start playing until after Sunset.) Sounds like they stopped the emotes to add these emotes. I know some people are getting less DC's now, but I am actually about the same. Less rubberbanding though...
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 07:30:27 PM »
Cryptic North might actually be a suite inside rented space. Until Google displays the address, we'll never know.
Spess

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 07:52:02 PM »
I do have to admit though. It was a half update. I also wonder at their excuse for taking the emotes away. It's awfully odd that they did it to stop an emote spam that was breaking the server and then release them with an "update" that adds some new emotes that some say are old emotes that used to be free (I don't know. Didn't start playing until after Sunset.) Sounds like they stopped the emotes to add these emotes. I know some people are getting less DC's now, but I am actually about the same. Less rubberbanding though...

I beta'd CO... they did take a few out, but given how many devs CO has lost and how many times it has 'changed dev hands' I doubt it was for a nefarious plot of any sort -- let alone for a cash grab.  As far as why they stopped emotes?  The bug has been in there a while.  But again, so many hand changes going on in Cryptic I'm not at all surprised that it fell through the cracks again and again.  To keep it positive though.. at least it was an update... which is far better than no update.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 09:02:29 PM »
Cryptic North might actually be a suite inside rented space. Until Google displays the address, we'll never know.

That's the thing. Asking rhetorically, if Cryptic bought the studio, did the existing office space some with it? I can think of a number of factors, least of which being the end of a lease on the suite, cause the answer to be "no." If there had been a number, I would have called it. :)

To the emote spam issue, it does make a certain sense, though, with the two people "in the know" who participate in that forum being currently unwilling to share details, I can't really elaborate. (I don't have them; I'm just saying, I could speak more intelligently if I did.) Suffice to say, this was an "easy fix." I don't know enough about their architecture, but it seems like a better fix, long term, would have been to improve that, rather than to change an otherwise innocuous game mechanic. I'm the first to point out that I'm neck-deep into armchair quarterbacking, though.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 10:26:35 PM »
Yeah. I am happy that we got some extra content and I bought the emotes. My main complaint about CO so far has been that lack of content. (My secondary is that there doesn't seem to be an option for COH type controllers.)

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 11:07:39 PM »
I'm glad to see work being done for sure. I also wonder if the new team that I heard scuttle about came in and looked at the code and the problems and said "there's your problem" and pointed at some emotes. Could'a happened...
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2013, 07:10:23 AM »
I had a really crummy gaming summer last summer due to moving and having a poor Internet connection from Verizon, after spending the entire rest of the year or so really getting into CoH (I had a sub, but I came back when Freedom came out) and then when 4g came here and the connection was great again the shutdown was announced.

So it was a bad flashback spending four months or so getting into CO and then all the sudden for weeks it is just barely playable and I have veterans of the game telling me in-game that "yeah, that's just how it is, you've been lucky until now"

Guess I kinda lost it.

I tend to not complain about much. For example, I'm happy with the emotes and can live with the fact that trade skilling was destroyed and there's not a lot of end game content. The game itself is fun and immersive and has potential and that's good enough for me. I really like the game, that's why I play it!  : )

Not being able to play and being told that's normal after getting invested is just all bad though. I did go on too much about it tho and am sorry bout that. Game Time should be about Fun Time *nod* Time spent here is game time. Quality fun time is a precious type thing. Can get drama *anywhere*

Had another flawless session tonite and when collecting dailies this morning there were no probs. Really didn't expect the streak to go on like it has and am glad it is - for us and those involved and the game itself.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 07:18:00 AM by Xev »
Some Faves:

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2013, 03:49:04 PM »
I'm glad to see work being done for sure. I also wonder if the new team that I heard scuttle about came in and looked at the code and the problems and said "there's your problem" and pointed at some emotes. Could'a happened...

More likely, they came in, looked at the code, and asked for a case of Mountain Dew, a dozen or so bag of Doritos, a fifth of Seagram's 7, and that the boss shut the door on the way out. :)

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2013, 10:24:32 PM »
Ok. It's 5:30 CST here and DCing like crazy in both CO and STO. Anybody else having trouble today?

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2013, 10:30:11 PM »
Ok. It's 5:30 CST here and DCing like crazy in both CO and STO. Anybody else having trouble today?
naw and not yet.

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 10:37:14 PM »
ARgh

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2013, 11:08:14 PM »
Ok. Logged out and went to STO. Chose US proxy server in the options at log in and....Holy Crap! Worlds of difference! Things loaded fast and no probs so far. Must be my IP.... >:(

Empyrean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 08:06:29 PM »
Yep, CO forums are one giant unicorn-fest sad to say. I'm actually not surprised that the new dev team hasn't said much given the ungrateful attitude most of the forum users tend to display. 

I stopped going over there any more than I absolutely had too... I'd rather interact with people that don't complain constantly (*cough*titannetwork*cough*).  :)

edited for content cause i broke the curse word filter...  :-[

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you. 

Just because there are complainers on the CO forums, it doesn't mean that there's nothing wrong with the game.  They have serious problems over there.  But, Jack doesn't listen to anyone, so complaining isn't going to help.

However, both positive and negative feedback are both equally essential for a balanced view.  "Yes men" are notorious for leading projects astray.  All-positive feedback is only half the picture.  I understand trying to stay positive, but intolerance towards negativity is proven to be tremendously counterproductive. 

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 08:07:03 AM »
Still a pretty solid connection here. Not getting a lot of play time but it's all been good.

If you do a trace route to patchserver.crypticstudios.com and there is a timeout on the last hop - it's PWE and I don't think there's much you can do about it but at least you'll know what's going on.

If you do a force verify in Options on the launcher and then hit ctrl-c you can see if there are any hoggs having probs. The same error info, if any, is also in hog_errors.log. The patcher will find problems on a verify but not (ever?) always fix them. If there's a hogg file giving an error just delete it and let the patcher re-download it.

CO seems to unrarely get problems with hogg files and I think STO, too. Just for kicks, a scandisk isn't a bad idea just in case a drive problem is causing hogg probs.

Losing packets PWEside and magically corrupting hogg files on my side have been the major troublemakers for me so far I think.

Some Faves:

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 01:07:54 PM »
Still a pretty solid connection here. Not getting a lot of play time but it's all been good.

If you do a trace route to patchserver.crypticstudios.com and there is a timeout on the last hop - it's PWE and I don't think there's much you can do about it but at least you'll know what's going on.

If you do a force verify in Options on the launcher and then hit ctrl-c you can see if there are any hoggs having probs. The same error info, if any, is also in hog_errors.log. The patcher will find problems on a verify but not (ever?) always fix them. If there's a hogg file giving an error just delete it and let the patcher re-download it.

CO seems to unrarely get problems with hogg files and I think STO, too. Just for kicks, a scandisk isn't a bad idea just in case a drive problem is causing hogg probs.

Losing packets PWEside and magically corrupting hogg files on my side have been the major troublemakers for me so far I think.

Yeah I had that problem once. Took three days (two spent on them going through the usual BS over and over and literally had to request to transfer me to another tech support person before they started to actual do something. I swear I think those tech support people are allergic to work.) to show them that the connection is not on my end nor my IP end. I literally had to show them the hop that was dropping packets belonged to them and the ip that the hop gave was registered to them by emailing them the location and owner information of that particular hop. Then finally after all that did they come clean and say they been having trouble with that hop and was plan on working on it the next maint. schedule. After the maint. time, no more problems.