Author Topic: KickAs$ 2  (Read 3551 times)

Hellgeist

• Underling
KickAs$ 2
« on: August 18, 2013, 06:17:11 AM »
Great film - just wanted to say that if you go see it, stay in your seat until the credits finish. ;)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Re: KickAs$ 2
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 04:34:19 PM »
Wouldn't this be better in the Comics board than General Discussion?
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 04:48:26 PM »
it's about  a movie... so it could go into any of the threads here, multimedia, or comics
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Hellgeist

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 05:28:20 PM »
/em shows his papers to the authorities and waits to see if he gets a ticket... he doesn't disguise is scowl either

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 12:31:38 AM »
Doh!  I didn't wait; a friend texted me right at the end so I shot out during the credits.

By the way, I loved it.  Maybe more than the first.

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 01:58:53 AM »
MM!!!!!!!!

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 02:57:17 AM »
MU!!!

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 12:04:27 PM »
I enjoyed this too, although some of the critics didn't. It had everything in it that I enjoyed from the first movie.

Some of the gags were very predictable but nonetheless still funny. There's a tank with a shark in it, what could possibly happen next ?

The scene after the credits is again fairly predictable, it's the "we might want to make a third film" scene.

I can't go into more without some serious spoiling, but I reckon if you don't overthink and just enjoy what's in front of you, if you enjoyed the first film, you'll enjoy this one.

Example of critics overthinking: A really cliched cheesy boyband appear briefly, they were apparently IRL on a reality talent show. This really grated as a form of product placement with the critics, I saw a boyband that were in the film to have a particular effect on teenage girls, could have been any boyband, and I found that scene hilarious.

Lothic

• Lieutenant
  • Like tears in rain...
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 01:32:37 PM »
When I was walking out of the theater after seeing the first KickAs$ a few years ago I mentioned to my friends: The main thing a sequel to this movie would lack is the fresh take on the "normal people becoming superheroes" and the "cute little daddy's girl violently killing people" twists that made the first movie fairly cool and special.  Low and behold my predictions came true.

I'm not saying KickAs$ 2 was a necessarily a bad movie.  I'm just saying it squarely suffered the fate many sequels suffer from in that it couldn't really offer anything much more new than we already saw in the first movie and in fact didn't even come close to the original "charm" the first one provided.  I basically found myself watching the new movie not for its own sake but for the hopes that it might provide at least as much satisfaction as the first one. Unfortunately (for this franchise at least) Chloe Moretz grew up and as a slightly more conventional "troubled teenaged girl violently killing people" it just didn't come off as quite worth the effort.

Maybe if the story/plot had been a little stronger I could have overlooked the general "warmed over leftovers" feel I got from it.  There were a few cool scenes with some of the new side characters (like Mother Russia and Col. Stars and Stripes) but overall the sum was not equal to its parts.
CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Hellgeist

• Underling
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 08:55:02 PM »
Movies like this have to have simple plots, repeatable content, and predictable scenes if they want to make enough money to break even or consider a follow up. Sad but true, american audiences "on average" ->not talking about YOU in particular, literate internet person<- demand a bang for their buck, and hate being confused by a complicated story.

So, we kind of have to take what we can get in terms of comic book movies. You know, even the gigantic name-brand films like Thor have to conduct extremely careful experiments to see if a character like Dr Strange isn't too smart for american audiences.. he appears in Thor 2 as a side character, and based on the data generated from that, a financial decision can be made on whether or not he gets his own movie.

That really is the main reason we don't see more interesting hero movies - many of those characters are 'too smart' for the average audience to want to pay to see. :(

Arnabas

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 01:47:40 AM »
There's a tank with a shark in it, what could possibly happen next?

My first thought was "is it shot out from the turret?" Then I figured you probably meant a tank full of water and not a military vehicle.

My idea would be cooler, I think.

Lucky666

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 02:07:01 AM »
My first thought was "is it shot out from the turret?" Then I figured you probably meant a tank full of water and not a military vehicle.

Great minds think a like! I thought it was a shark getting shot from the turret too. I'm gonna go see this tomorrow after work I think.

Lothic

• Lieutenant
  • Like tears in rain...
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 01:08:43 PM »

You know when the British were developing their first "military vehicles" that we now commonly refer to as tanks they disguised them as non-combative "water tanks" to confuse foreign spies.  So it's kind of funny that you confused a reference to a container of water (meant for a shark in this case) as a military vehicle. ;)
CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 04:39:43 PM »