Author Topic: Help with naming in CO?  (Read 3634 times)

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
Help with naming in CO?
« on: July 08, 2013, 03:42:33 AM »
I don't know if there's a fix for this. This account's name is that of my first CoH character, and I've been trying to "move" him to CO. The trouble is that CO forbids the word "Firebug" as a separate, identifiable word. (A web search shows that, apparently, there have been at least three DC characters with the name "Firebug".) Inserting punctuation into "Firebug" doesn't work. I've tried "SuperFirebug", "Super Firebug1", "Super Firebugg" and "Super Fiirebug" (thinking that the two i's would blend together, and not really be noticeable). They were allowed by the system, but were unacceptable to my eye. :/ If someone one knows of a work-around, I'd appreciate hearing about it. If not, I guess "Super Firebug1" is the best of a bad lot. In contrast to China's reputation for not abiding by copyright laws, PWE seem pretty determined about this.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
Re: Help with naming in CO?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 09:27:41 AM »
How about "Fyrebug"? (Pyrebug?)

Have you tried hyphenating it like the name Spider-Man?

Fire-Bug

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 11:23:04 AM »
You know, i swear i tried to name a toon black falcon once and it didn't let me. Then i was in a cc and saw, you guessed it, a black falcon...
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 03:41:45 PM »
You know, i swear i tried to name a toon black falcon once and it didn't let me. Then i was in a cc and saw, you guessed it, a black falcon...

Names in CO are tied to your global name, so multiple people should be able to use the same name. I have yet to put this to the test, but the one I've always wanted to see or try is Ensign Red Shirt. I'm pretty sure it was on Virtue where I saw five of these guys, all costumed in red and black as Wolf Spiders. In CoH, they had to use creative spelling to all have the name, but there should be nothing preventing a group of players from doing the same kind of thing in CO. Firebug's issue is likely more related to the "copyright/trademark filter."
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 03:48:59 PM »
As far as naming goes, good luck, keep plugging names in.. and if you can't find one that works..

"Frank! It's the love boat to Cuba! Shuffle board and pineapples filled with rum. Know what they do? They put little paper umbrellas sticking out the top so that when it rains, it don't thin out the liquor."

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 04:49:32 PM »
How about "Fyrebug"? (Pyrebug?)

I tried that, too - both of them. Part of the problem is that, when I'm reading something, misspellings and grammatical errors jump out at me, and demand to be corrected. I guess I would have made a good proofreader, but it also keeps me from accepting something like that. ("No, that's not right! 'Firebug' isn't spelled that way!") It makes reading some webpages almost painful.

Have you tried hyphenating it like the name Spider-Man?

Fire-Bug

Yep. I tried every piece of punctuation on my keyboard. That, an apostrophe, and a period seem to be just about all the punctuation it will allow, but they don't disguise it enough to slip by the system.

I guess I'll go with "Super Firebug1". With the 1 attached to the end, it doesn't seem as jarring an error. Thanks, folks.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 12:29:23 AM »
It's too bad you can't use special characters, like an umlaut. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 06:47:43 AM »
Alright, I'm really getting fed up! I just found out that CO also won't let me have my CoH ice blaster's name, Frosty the Iceman, without a 1 on the end. I desperately need CoH back before I'm forced to go to China and, shall we say, express my displeasure.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 07:30:13 AM »
Iceman is a, shall we say, rather well-known Marvel hero...

...and one of his aliases is Frosty. >.>
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 07:51:44 AM »
Iceman is a, shall we say, rather well-known Marvel hero...

...and one of his aliases is Frosty. >.>

Yeah, I know of Iceman. I'm just tired of finding out that CO's being so picky about names that I had in CoH for years, because of one word in the name. ("Frosty" is allowed, actually, even by itself.)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 08:02:23 AM by Super Firebug »

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 05:03:32 AM »
Naming problems suck. Names can be hard to pick out and hard to give up using.

I've not had any names rejected in CO yet. Saw someone tonite, no joke, with the name Malatov Roostertease. Except it wasn't Rooster, it was.. ya know..
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 01:06:48 AM »
...a hen.   Transgender superhero, obviously.

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 01:20:07 PM »
Thanks for the save...
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>