Author Topic: DC Universe Online  (Read 28466 times)

Elfin

• Lieutenant
  • Never Fear Elfin Is Here
    • Ken's Super Sci Fi Page
DC Universe Online
« on: July 09, 2013, 08:43:09 AM »
You can't teach old dogs new tricks. Its true. I started playing COH at 39 years old and it was hard learning everything but I learned enough that I really enjoyed the game. I am trying to learn DCUO now since COH was ripped from me, and it  is much harder to learn a new game now at the age of 46. I am looking for an active League on DCUO with active COH Alumni that I may learn from in COH language that I can understand. In JU chat on COH I understood 97% of what peeps were talking about. On DCUO chat I am clueless. Please Help.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
Re: DC Universe Online
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 04:14:10 PM »
I never managed to find an "active guild" per say, and the one I do have consists of me and three-four friends, most of whom hardly ever log in(and as a result, I hardly log in, because soloing is boring after a while...)

That said, if you have any questions about the game, I'd be happy to answer them, either here or in-game(I'm usually on Ruby Nova or Cookie Thief).

A lot of what's different with DCUO, though, is simply the names of things, and how the objectives are achieved (different control setup completely set aside). Other than that, it can actually be similar to CoH or any other standard MMO. Essentially, you do Raids(Large TFs), Duos(Mini-TFs/Trials/Missions that require Two people to complete), General Tasks/Story Tasks(Story Arcs and Filler missions for you and maybe a few friends to do), Side Quests(Often Street Sweeping for a specific mob or "Glowie", basically), Daily Solo Challenges(Radio Missions, essentially, for when you hit 30 and run out of things to do), kill stuff(Kill Skuls), Wanted Missions(Giant Monster/AV street hunting. For example, Bizarro, who's always respawning pretty quickly outside of the hospital in Metropolis...), gather loot(Gear, styles, exc.), gain experience and level up(Choosing new Powers and Skills as you do), then repeat... :P

Razy

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 10:16:40 PM »
I been soloing there for a while. And all that dcuo language is completely alien to me. I don't even get the chat there.

crayehal

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 06:59:04 PM »
Maybe this helps?

https://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/yodadogs-guide-for-dcuo-terms-acronyms.152849/

If you need a supergroup and see Queen Jokester in chat, ask for an invite and say that Tuatha Dedanaan sent you.

Razy

• Minion
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 11:35:02 PM »
Thanks for the link.  ;D It really helps.

Nightwatch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 09:49:24 AM »
Have started playing aorund with DCUO.  Not a scratch on CoX but at least it allows me to create a hero. My old CoH troller Zone Phantom lives again!  (If you can call it living :(  )

Costume and powers options are very limited (particularly free to play).
To use new gear (which enhances things like Defence, Accuracy, etc) you seem to HAVE to alter your costume.  For example, I didn't want a cape on Zone Phantom but to decrease my squishyness, I needed to take it.  What's the point in designing a good character if advancement requires you to alter its look!? 

Language and names are of course entirely different to CoX.  As someone above has noted, even the chat is gibberish.

Teaming seems difficult.  Have not yet figured out if I can send out chat on FTP!  So have been soloing.

Soloing is very reptitious.  I LIKED soloing in CoX.  It was possible to undertake and complete missions / levels and I often didn't feel that sociable so the capacity to mix soloing and teaming alternatively was good for me on CoX.  On DCUO it seems all I can do and it's just not that interesting.

All in all, I will toy with it a bit more but the experience to date is less than exciting.

Ghostly

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 10:45:12 AM »
Have started playing aorund with DCUO.  Not a scratch on CoX but at least it allows me to create a hero. My old CoH troller Zone Phantom lives again!  (If you can call it living :(  )

Costume and powers options are very limited (particularly free to play).
To use new gear (which enhances things like Defence, Accuracy, etc) you seem to HAVE to alter your costume.  For example, I didn't want a cape on Zone Phantom but to decrease my squishyness, I needed to take it.  What's the point in designing a good character if advancement requires you to alter its look!? 

Language and names are of course entirely different to CoX.  As someone above has noted, even the chat is gibberish.

Teaming seems difficult.  Have not yet figured out if I can send out chat on FTP!  So have been soloing.

Soloing is very reptitious.  I LIKED soloing in CoX.  It was possible to undertake and complete missions / levels and I often didn't feel that sociable so the capacity to mix soloing and teaming alternatively was good for me on CoX.  On DCUO it seems all I can do and it's just not that interesting.

All in all, I will toy with it a bit more but the experience to date is less than exciting.

Your clues about appearance are wrong. You can change your costume but do not HAVE to. Here the basics : when you get a new gear and equip with it, you get its bonus obviously, and the style (the appearance it has) is made available to you. By default you see it appear on you, but you can go to your inventory (through "i" in regular keyboard configuration), style tab, and change it. When you get new gear, the styles previously obtained are still available through this same tab. Actually, the more you get stuff, the more you get new style options for your toon.

To communicate through channels, all you have to do is press ENTER. You can see your mouse cursor appears and you can also write your message. Just select the proper channel with mouse, left to the space where you write your message. LFT channel is obviously the good one.

About the soloing part, can do nothing for you ... You like it, or not, matter of taste huhu. Anyway, allow me to say the game is much better after a few lvls and HL is somewhat rewarding. You can from lvl 10 press Y to queue for 4 players missions, somewhat more intertaining.
If by any chance you are french and playing on european server contact me :D :D Good luck good game have fun :D

Nightwatch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 12:34:43 PM »
Thanks Ghostly - more information from one post here than I've got in-game.  Good to know I was wrong about the costume too though the process seems less than intuitive.  I'll give it another bash tonight but I'm still pining for CoX!

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 02:32:48 PM »
I'm having similar adaptation problems with DCUO.

My issues are more based around the fact that it plays like the console game that it is. I've had to do some serious keymapping to make it work for me from a PC. Also, I dislike how their power choices are set up. Even with a range based build like mind I still am required to take a melee attact which, when I accidentally hit it in a fight, launches me across the screen to punch somebody with the power of my mind...

right...

OK, I can work around that (more keymapping) and I'm willing to give it a bit more time but I'm not sure about this.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 10:33:44 PM »
I'm actually enjoying DCUO more than CO atm, due to it's elements, such as crowd control and stuns, they actually seem to work in the game on most enemies(and even work on enemies they don't always work, when you learn the combat a little).  In DCUO I find it very fun when I can lock down 4-5 guys at once in a situation where i'd otherwise get overwhelmed with my quantum controller, and then destroy them promptly.  While in CO, an equivilent threat of henchmen never happens for me(simply cause they do pitifully low damage), but even if they did holds in that game don't even last longer than a couple seconds due to damage, if they don't break instantly from your own damage or someone elses.  And stuns just only hit one guy at the most, 90% of the time, and don't even last 3-4 seconds nore work on the enemies you'd want them to work on, while in DCUO I'm finding alot of bosses are actually stunnable in the game, including guys like aquaman for example.

Some tips for combat; enemies that lunge alot or use melee combo's, block them and you're guaranteed to stun them, you can then follow up with other cc abilities to further lock and chain-lock them.  If they block, use a charged up ranged attack or a heavier ranged combo and you'll stun them.  If they use a heavier ranged attack alot try using the melee lunge on them.  The game tends to be rock/paper/scissors, admittedly I can't give advice if someones reflexes seems poor but the AI tends to develop habits you can exploit through anticipation so far.

What I cannot stand about DCUO, and i feel the same way about CO though, is the holy trinity, especially since it's more apparent in DCUO compared to CO.  CO only gets around it due to the freeform system, but the archtypes pretty much are pidgin holed into only doing one thing, and they don't often do that one thing well either.  People often complain about it somewhat in the forums of DCUO regarding controllers and how they are treated as just energy batteries that do nothing else but "heal the energy bar", just the same as defenders complained how people treated them in CoX as "doing nothing but healing the health bar" even though they did so much more.  Controllers do alot more than heal the energy bar, honestly DCUO could break the holy trinity if they'd just add better damage mitigating options and overhaul the healer role into something more interesting than just a heal bot.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 02:19:18 AM »
What I cannot stand about DCUO, and i feel the same way about CO though, is the holy trinity, especially since it's more apparent in DCUO compared to CO.  CO only gets around it due to the freeform system, but the archtypes pretty much are pidgin holed into only doing one thing, and they don't often do that one thing well either.  People often complain about it somewhat in the forums of DCUO regarding controllers and how they are treated as just energy batteries that do nothing else but "heal the energy bar", just the same as defenders complained how people treated them in CoX as "doing nothing but healing the health bar" even though they did so much more.  Controllers do alot more than heal the energy bar, honestly DCUO could break the holy trinity if they'd just add better damage mitigating options and overhaul the healer role into something more interesting than just a heal bot.

Granted I've not done any of the larger raids, but if you're only standing around and spamming heals, you're probably playing a healer wrong(and by extension, you're probably bored out of your mind.). Likewise for anyone playing Controllers like that. You kind of need to attack spam(even if you're not doing much damage) to help refill your power bar between heals, or if you're a controller between power healing. Otherwise, you'll make it harder for your team to keep fighting if they have to constantly stop attacking to pop another Soder, plus the fact that extra damage = enemies go down faster = less damage mitigation needed.(Or as an all Blaster team from CoH would say, more damage is damage mitigation.)

Quite honestly, I've played a Tank and a Controller, and to a lesser extent a Healer, and functionally they all play about the same in the most basic sense. Alpha strike with powerful Powers, then spam melee/ranged weapon attacks until you have enough power to fire off another Power or for a cheap one to recycle itself, spam normal attacks some more and repeat. If you have a controller, you can fire off a few extra Powers before moving onto spamming, and Healers help you take a bit more of a beating, but otherwise everyone should be attacking nearly at all times. (Note that Healers might understandably have fewer attack Powers than others, but they don't need to only have heal Powers in their tray.)

Again though, I haven't done any of the high end raids, and have only done normal team sizes(4 people total), so high end raiders might be a little different, but I'm not partial to stict role based concepts of "heal bots", and encourage people to play and have fun, not stand around and be bored.

Of course the down side is, as mentioned above, is that you're kind of suck having to occasionally use Weapon attacks that don't fit a concept(i.e. A guy with a Rifle needing to have a ton of melee attacks...) just to get to attacks in a tree that do fit the concept. This is even more compounded by the somewhat annoying combo based combat system... Once you get past that, it's not that bad of a game, but it's definitely no substitute for CoH.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 04:02:46 AM »
You can't teach old dogs new tricks. Its true. I started playing COH at 39 years old and it was hard learning everything but I learned enough that I really enjoyed the game. I am trying to learn DCUO now since COH was ripped from me, and it  is much harder to learn a new game now at the age of 46. I am looking for an active League on DCUO with active COH Alumni that I may learn from in COH language that I can understand. In JU chat on COH I understood 97% of what peeps were talking about. On DCUO chat I am clueless. Please Help.

Don't worry. It's exactly what a lot of other gamers went through when they tried out COX. It's natural weird feeling after spending so many years in a game where everyone knows ya, and you know everyone and then, enter a game and you don't know anyone and they have different way of speaking. Like COX told new plyers, "It's easy to learn. Ya just have to learn it." Well it was easy to say from COX perspective. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, it aint as easy as it looks. But yeah keep at it, and soon it will be second nature just like COX was.

Unfortunately though I don't know any COX groups in that game. Lately been trying to expand my horizons a bit. Meet some new people that I probably never crossed paths before with. Been messing around with some star wars folk in DCUO and CO (I don't even like Star Wars) but the language the terms and lore got me interested in learning more. But the shows, my god, I think of  very few things ( only one to be exact) that make me want to go to sleep as fast as the shows.  But they are so far cool people and not the nerd raging Klingon language talking intolerable nerds many think they are.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 03:16:40 PM »
So I tried DCUO last night. Unlike Champions, it had a different enough feel from CoH that it wasn't weirdly "similar but different" for me.

The one thing I haven't grasped yet is combos. I made a staff melee hero, and was able to get the first combo down pretty well (tap hold hold). But then I made a hand blast villain, and those combos took me a long time to get even sort of consistently. I don't know if it's my old machine lagging, or what, but I just couldn't seem to figure out just how long I'm supposed to hold the mouse before tapping or holding again. I got better with practice, but it's pretty annoying. Any tips?
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Exxar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 09:39:00 PM »
Hand blasts have a few weird ones which feel different than what most other weapons have, you just gotta get the hang of it. Could take you some time like it did me, but when you do get it it will be easy.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 07:54:40 PM »
So I made a bow / fire super speedster. The bow is much better, for me anyways, for combos.

But the big thing I LOVE about the character is super speed. The first awesome thing for me (and I played a demo at Comic Con years ago and was impressed by it back then) is the fact that I can run up walls. The next (and most) awesome thing is the fact that it's basically super jump combined with super speed. I think I've spent just about as much time running up buildings and leaping up off of their walls to get to the roof as I have actually fighting crime. I seriously LOVE super speed in DCUO.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2014, 02:53:06 PM »
I have three guys here, barely play due to the horrid communication system. I swear half of my CoH time was just chit chatting.

DBadger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 09:23:10 AM »
Just got my account back, so thought I'd give it another try . I purchased it on Steam dirt cheap, never got on with it, max level was around 6.

Then SOE had the bright idea of xferring EU players to Pro Sieben Games - I never transferred so they simply banned accounts such as mine. They have now taken back EU players but couldn't remove the bans at first (and people who did transfer accounts have in many cases now ended up with 2 SOE accounts, and are missing several privileges) All been a bit of a mess, but I tried DCUO again, the tutorial is much better ( I needed to do it to remember how to play the damn game) and my Pistols/Time Hero is actually a lot of fun, loving the Acrobatics travel power.

I actually purchased the All Access pass, I may dabble a bit in EQ2 as I have a few high levels there and find the tradeskilling is just incredibly relaxing.

Exxar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 12:03:35 PM »
They went back on the pro7 deal? Ahahahahahahahaha :D

DBadger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2014, 01:40:45 PM »
yeah the whole pro 7 thing has been an absolute debacle from start to finish

artbunker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2014, 04:09:27 PM »
I have just recently tried to play this game. I would like to know if there is anyone left who would like to play with me till COH returns?