Author Topic: E3 2013  (Read 2138 times)

Epelesker

• Boss
  • One fix at a time!
E3 2013
« on: June 13, 2013, 07:09:21 PM »
There hasn't been a topic about this yet? Surprised.

So, with that, what are you looking forward to? What are your thoughts on the next generation of the Great Console War?

E3 stuff goes here.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
Re: E3 2013
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 07:37:54 PM »
Most I learned was that there were no reporters at the event, when all news stories were just lifted right from the paid fake reporters at the events. Damn shame seeing marketing hype and gross distortions presented as journalism.

pewlagon

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 07:52:03 PM »

Mainly PC is gonna make out like a bandit next year.
NOTE: Many vaunted "exclusives" are +PC.

Sony knew how to pull out the stops.
NOTE: Yes, $5 a month required for multiplayer, but at least when asked Sony responded.

Nintendo leapfrogged back into my heart revealing some cool titles: Espicially X, the spiritual succesor to Xenoblade.
NOTE: Also liked third party devs telling us not to discount the Wii U just yet.

Microsoft needs to get back in touch with the culture of gaming.
NOTE: Aside from the mandatory checkin they are still dodging the question of whether an XBL account is required for the checkin.

And if you want some honest gamer focused interpretations head over to TheGameStation YouTube channel and catch up on their reactions.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 09:20:44 PM »
seen somethings and game news about E3 but still have no idea what it is and never really said anything about it yet.

The next console war is going to be like the last console war and the one prior to that. It will be talked about much until Christmas, then people will line up in the wee hours of the morning to get it after camping out for days, then after new years, there will be techincal complaints, then after that normality until the next war.

Twi

• Connoisseur of Fine Imports
  • Lieutenant
  • Defender
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 09:38:53 PM »
Bayonetta 2.

<3 <3 <3
I am a defender and so can you.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 01:06:59 AM »
E3 seems to be the only thing on Massively's minds...
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 04:37:00 AM »
I've had issues with SONY hardware since the 80s when I had to replace a new Walkman 3 times in one month, after which I got some no-name portable cassette player which lasted me for over 15 years.  I bought a PS1 and very soon had to start turning it upside down to get it to play games.  I didn't get a PS2 until a couple of years ago, and I got it to replay a couple of old PS1 games and Fire Pro Z - now it's mostly made of dust and cobwebs.  Never got a PS3.  But I've played the heck out of my 360...

But currently it looks like next gen I'll be picking up a PS4.  I'm not wholly against DRM, but I'm principally opposed to the particular brand of it Microsoft is trying to foist off.  If it didn't have the 24 hour time limit I would be somewhat less annoyed.  And then there's the whole shoving-the-Kinect-down-our-throats thing, which is the main killer for me.  And it doesn't matter if it can be turned off.  I don't want to buy it, and I don't want developers to get comfortable with the notion of forcing Kinect functionality on me in their games because everyone is forced to have one. 

Nintendo...  actually got me slightly interested in the WiiU.  Mainly because of X, though I found myself kinda wanting to play that Mario game and the new Mario Kart.  And Wonderful 101 sorta got my attention.

But beyond the hardware, other than a couple of Nintendo exclusives, I think the majority of the games I'm interested in are multi-platform.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 05:54:05 AM »
An official Sony guide to sharing games - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 07:27:07 AM »
For a PvP/Co-op shooter, Tom Clancy's The Division looked pretty cool.

As for the console hardware war, I've only seen general specs about either system but Sony being the low cost option this time is a slap in the face of Microsoft.  Last I heard the 360 didn't make significant in roads into Asia and I would say that the One won't be well received their either.  But the new Kinect technology is cool.  Always on/always online (well needs to call home once an hour), the disk sharing for a fee, etc., not cool at all.  I hope the push back will convince them to reconsider. 

What M$ need to implement is something like Steam for the XBox One.  Once the game is register in your name you can install it anywhere but unlike Steam you need to be logged in as you to play it.  With Kinect being able to log you in by sight, if done right, could be kind of cool.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 10:05:10 AM »
Last I heard the 360 didn't make significant in roads into Asia and I would say that the One won't be well received their either.

When the XBOne launches, the system along with the XBOX Live service required to run it will only be available in 21 countries.  China and Japan are not two of them.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 07:03:08 PM »
It was more that Japan didn't like the games on the XBox 360 than not like the system for the system sake.  However I can understand preferring one of the two home grown systems over an outsider.  Over here in NA it was an outsider that "saved" the home gaming market after the meltdown here.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 08:18:09 PM »
Also, they may not feel that China is worth selling to because sales of Windows are so low, there...  8)

(A friend from way back travels to China frequently for work. His experience has been that even the universities are using "illegal" copies of Windows and Office on their computers.)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."