Author Topic: Falling Skies  (Read 1232 times)

Mandu

• Elite Boss
Falling Skies
« on: June 13, 2013, 03:46:19 AM »
I'm surprised this topic wasn't already here.  I just got done watching the season premier of Falling Skies and I liked it, but man oh man were there some serious cliches involved.

Spoiler for Hidden:
I can not believe how cliche and obvious the mysteriously advanced baby is.  I figured that is exactly what was going to happen the moment I saw Anne working the machine while pregnant.

The Colonel being just a diversion to draw the mechs away from the gate.

The soldier that was flirting with Maggie dying heroically.

John Locke being killed by the spy.

Ben yelling "You're not my mom."  and later asking if he could call her mom.  Didn't see the first part coming but as soon as it happened I knew the second part would.

And of course (though they haven't gotten that far yet) Ben asking if he could call Anne mom was done purely so the baby can get jealous and plot some sort of revenge against him.

Despite all that I still enjoyed it though because I love the actors.  Good acting and charisma can overcome mediocre writing.  But I want more Pope.

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
Re: Falling Skies
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 05:08:54 AM »
This is the first time I hear about it, I'll give it a shot over the next week.
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Re: Falling Skies
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 06:01:40 AM »
They aren't writing for a SciFi TV series, they are writing for a wartime/family drama with SciFi trappings to make the actual genres they are drawing the tropes from more palatable.  Notice a trend in post-apocalyptic TV in the last few years?
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot