Author Topic: Spoiled my fun  (Read 1598 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Spoiled my fun
« on: June 14, 2013, 04:03:50 AM »
Blah my CO connection still sucks as bad as ever. Pingtest says I'm surfing with 50ms pings and that's about what I get everywhere else, too.

Constantly get rolling lag spikes in-game, one after the other. It's ridiculously bad. Can't team without rubberbanding around like an idiot the whole time.

I tried disabling UAC/Firewall/Virus Scanner which didn't surprise me that that didn't work because nothing has changed on my PC since the connection to CO went south after being perfectly fine for at least 4 months straight. And I tried the patcher proxy server options as well as routing through a real proxy server in case my ISP decided to make a disagreeable change on their end. No noticeable difference at all. Was just dumb luck I got a passable connection the first time I tried the patcher proxy options and that luck never repeated itself.

I've had a few periods of decent connections since this started but that's about it.  I'll be able to play an entire session of a few hours or so with 100ms pings and next to no lag spikes.

I tried tech support but never got a reply since some days now. Not even a "hey, we got your message". I missed the 10% off sale and just entered a $20 game card that is one if not the only forms of payment that doesn't qualify for the 15% bonus Zen thing they have going on now.

So, yeah, Yay.

Got nearly 3k Zen laying around and not even interested in which first hideout to get anymore.

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: Spoiled my fun
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 04:33:24 AM »
I haven't been having trouble with the game, until tonight. I couldn't get the updater to patch past 80%. I'm currently reinstalling from scratch.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 02:43:16 PM »
It definitely wouldn't bother me as much if I hadn't gone through this last summer with CoH. That episode was obviously a problem on my end. Had a weak 3g connection that was crummy no matter how I used it. Fast downloads, but slow response times. Then we got 4g in this area, my connection was solid, and NCLimp did their thing. So yeah, when I see big pings starting up again it's like... ugh.

Logged on this morning, solid connection, bumped up the video until my card screamed, ran some alerts and started the Nighthawk? thing. Had no problems the whole time.

As a side note.. If you can play with all the essential video bumped up it sure adds to the immersion.

I haven't been having trouble with the game, until tonight. I couldn't get the updater to patch past 80%. I'm currently reinstalling from scratch.

This morning someone said something similar in Zone.

When I have problems, it's with everything. Seemingly every time there's a handshake I'll either get the Red Text (lost connection) or a big delay and then in the game /netgraph is a roller coaster of lagspikes that never go below 200ms ish.

I never post anything negative about the game and I'm not trying to get down on them now. If I had the bandwidth I'd simply DL STO and fool around with that until things straighten out with CO. Re-installing is rarely if ever a bad idea. If I had the bandwidth I'd do that too.

Verizon, on the other hand, you suck. You Internet hoarding misers. I've had Internet access long enough, in enough ways, to know when I'm being ... wronged.

Thanks for letting me vent & gl with your connection DW.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 03:23:59 PM »
The only trouble with using STO as your backup is that most of the problems they've been having since the drop of the Romulan expansion and the "open beta" for NWO have been network-wide. The first problem was actually a failure of the router that all of their servers attach to.  (I don't think they've actually said what it was, but the description fits either that or the main network switch, so...)

For future reference, if you run multiple games from one physical server, don't drop major releases for two of them in the same week! :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 03:58:37 PM »
Yeah, you know... I had to chuckle to myself when I realized what I'd decided on for a backup.. (Due to the NWO thing.. didn't consider the expansion)

Glad things are working for ya again.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 09:37:08 PM »
Been checking in, off and on, and connection has been rock solid, although a lil laggier than a land line numberwise.

I've had this nagging feeling that my connection problem could be due to sunny days + metal roof + wireless Internet, because this is when this problem started this year and last year both.

No variance at all today and the sun is exceptionally radiant. Crossing fingers. I do lub my CO time when it's good..

Some Faves: