Author Topic: Looking for advice on some games  (Read 2171 times)

hard

• Underling
Looking for advice on some games
« on: June 08, 2013, 07:27:22 AM »
I'm looking into playing one of the above games, so I'm looking for peoples opinions, ratings of
Everquest 2, Lord of the Rings and Neverwinter.

Any feedback Good or Bad would be appreciated.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Looking for advice on some games
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 08:46:03 AM »
Everquest 2 was extraordinarily dull and tedious when last I played it.  That was within months of release, so I can't vouch for any changes that may or may not have occurred.

Lord of the Rings Online was a bit less dull and tedious than it was during beta when last I played, which was before it went F2P (assuming my mind isn't betraying me and it did, in fact, go F2P).  If one could put up with with the plodding pace (and, indeed, some people are far more acclimatized to such things than others) the setting is put together well and properly steeped in Tolkien lore from what I've seen.

Neverwinter is an incomplete action game.  I like it, but I'm waiting for more classes to drop, more options for existing classes, some balance tweaks, etc. before I get back into it.  In the meantime, I'm looking to try Dragon's Prophet.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 10:50:37 AM »
In the meantime, I'm looking to try Dragon's Prophet.

I just looked that up and found a gameplay review.

http://youtu.be/CgTQP66pmZM

You expect that to be an improvement???  :o

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 11:47:37 AM »
Everquest 2

From what little I've played of it it seems solid, with a focus on crafting. But my Steam Client of it screwed up royally, and I never got to play beyond the tutorial area. No idea what the overall gameplay is actually like.

Lord of the Rings

Do you like being a faceless mercenary who is relegated to slaughtering nameless bandits and wildlife to prevent you from interacting in a meaningful way with the overall storyline? Do you enjoy truly massive worlds with lots of nooks and crannies to explore?

LOTRO had a lot going for it out of the gate when I played it. Pretty epic "Tutorial" levels that opened up into...pest extermination and mass bandit slaughter. My interest waned pretty dramatically - and the narrative came to a screeching halt - once you get through the first settlement.

Neverwinter

A fun if flawed action RPG. The static camera is infuriating and the control set up is wonky compared to most other games (Though that at least stops feeling "wonky" in short order).

Biggest problem for the game right now (beyond that stupid static camera) is lack of options. A fun experience but very shallow pool in which to experience it. Also as not a fan of D&D the setting left me disinterested with little incentive to explore the lore.

All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 12:31:57 PM »
I just looked that up and found a gameplay review.

http://youtu.be/CgTQP66pmZM

You expect that to be an improvement???  :o

I don't expect it to be an improvement... I expect it to be similar in some ways, more limited in others, offer me the ability to tame/ride dragons, and have 5-7 sliders for determining the shape and size of breasts.  I also expect I'll be done with it in a week or two at most, but it may surprise me.  And it's free so no real loss.  And I have nothing better to do right now given that Penny Arcade Episode 4 hasn't hit XBOX quite yet, GRiD2 has proven to be terrible, and the next two games in my nearest future are Project X Zone and Dynasty Warriors 8 which leaves me a lot of board time to fill.

And it offers me an archer class, which is one of the key things I'm awaiting for Neverwinter.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 12:48:04 PM »
Makes sense I guess. I can't wait for the ranger to come out.  :D

Did you ever try Rift? I don't hear much about it, but what I've heard is good, and I also hear it sucked in quite a few fans from among COH refugees.

Also don't forget City of Steam.  :D

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 01:14:03 PM »
Also don't forget City of Steam.  :D

Ah yes, I had forgotten.  Again.  Ha!  Better throw the webpage on a tab before I snooze to remind me when I wake up.

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 02:58:12 AM »
I am currently bouncing between CO and Lotro.  Lord of the Rings will be entertaining if you enjoy the lore of Middle Earth.  It is pretty cool when you ascend Weathertop, check out the Prancing Pony, and roam about Rivendell.  However, the usual fantasy MMO quest standards exist and can become tiresome.  There are also some mandatory (unless you wanna do -5 stuff) teaming quests that are vexing.  The store is inexpensive and very useful.  The community is supportive (not CoH, but still pretty good).

In regard to Rift:  great character build customization, fast paced leveling, exciting combat, numerous dynamic events (the whole Rift thing), and fun pvp.  Once it goes F2P I will probably head back to it.

NCsoft just needs to let us back into our City.  I dislike being an online vagabond.