Author Topic: Okay, I Think I'm Ready To Give Champions Online A Try  (Read 1923 times)

tripthicket

• Lieutenant
Okay, I Think I'm Ready To Give Champions Online A Try
« on: June 08, 2013, 02:47:30 AM »
Fully intend to support both The Phoenix Project and Heroes and Villains when they get to a playable point. I've even heard a whisper or two about something called Valiance Online.

I've never tried Champions Online. I think. I might have done a few hours of a beta, just the once, years ago. So, let's say, out of desperation, I would today want to check it out. What would that entail?

I'm assuming the DVD of the game, or perhaps a digital download. I would bet that a DVD purchased today would need lots of game updating. Cost to start playing the game? (purchase links appreciated)

Monthly subscription? Or Free To Play with a subscription option that unlocks more things?

If going the FTP route, am I locked out of a large chunk of costume/power options?

I'm guessing there's a store. If not subscribing monthly, what might be the "essential" things I might want to purchase? (I'm thinking along the lines of archetypes, powersets, costume options)

Like many, the CoH costume creator was one of the biggest draws for me. Looking over the pictures of other people's characters posted in the other thread, I have a MIGHTY itch to at least play with the costume creator, even if it costs me money just to play dress-up.

Thanks for any and all help!

DJMoose

• Missing His Jeep
  • Boss
  • To believe in the heroic makes heroes.
Re: Okay, I Think I'm Ready To Give Champions Online A Try
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 03:49:38 AM »
I'm assuming the DVD of the game, or perhaps a digital download. I would bet that a DVD purchased today would need lots of game updating. Cost to start playing the game? Monthly subscription? Or Free To Play with a subscription option that unlocks more things?
Free to download and play; subscription that unlocks more things. https://register.perfectworld.com/co_splashB

If going the FTP route, am I locked out of a large chunk of costume/power options?
Yes.  You get significantly more for going gold.  http://co.perfectworld.com/freetoplay

I'm guessing there's a store. If not subscribing monthly, what might be the "essential" things I might want to purchase? (I'm thinking along the lines of archetypes, powersets, costume options)
As far as what is "essential" would depend on what kind of play style/archetype you want.  The best thing would be to browse the shop and see what is available.

Like many, the CoH costume creator was one of the biggest draws for me. Looking over the pictures of other people's characters posted in the other thread, I have a MIGHTY itch to at least play with the costume creator, even if it costs me money just to play dress-up.

Thanks for any and all help!
The character creator is very robust once you get a feel for what it is capable of.  While it will never replace CoH, it is pretty satisfying.
Serkana The Wise
Primal Praetorian

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 04:29:39 AM »
There's a lot in the costume creator but navigation in it was a bit of a challenge for me.

The fact you can play with body proportions in a way you never could in COH does add a certain flair. (I saw someone do a pretty much bang on Popeye, for instance.)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 05:23:03 AM »
Something else about costume creation. I dunno how it works on the Gold side because I haven't subbed yet but I do have two Silver accounts and notice a pretty large difference in costume piece options on my newer account that I never play. There are a lot of costume pieces that unlock as you play. Satisfying, is a good description of the character creator for me too.

I wonder if the large amount of costume locks for (probably just Silver) newbies isn't what discourages some new players that complain about so few costume options, so, thought I'd bring it up.

Sorry if it was already mentioned but a lifetime sub is also an option. Pay once and no more subbing and your toons stay Gold for the duration. Of course one would not go LTS upon first playing the game..... But it can be an option down the road. In my current situation it's the way to go for me and I'm saving up for one.

You can definitely get a feel for the game in the Free (Silver) version. As far as that goes, many things that Gold (Subbed) players enjoy can be purchased with Zen which you can purchase with real money or a game currency (Q) that is verrrrry slow to earn a large enough quantity of to be useful - but it will accumulate if you put in any amount of effort and you can start buying things with it like more slots or powers or a lot of other stuff that you are locked out of by being Silver.

There are a nice variety of options to get subbed or highly ghetto perma subbed via Zen. Once you play for awhile you'll know which is for you  : )
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 06:17:29 AM »
In my opinion the game is only worth playing if you have at *least* the base number of slots one gets with a sub as well as the ability to make custom characters rather than be constrained to the templates.  Which is a large part of why I stopped playing a couple of months ago - I wasn't playing enough to justify the sub, and without the sub I can't play my characters as they are.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 03:54:06 PM »
Imo the game is only worth playing if you enjoy it. Depending on how much you enjoy it and how you can and want to pay for playing it, there is probably a good subscription option for you.

They've really opened up the door to a diverse set of playing/paying options that should fit most folks pretty well.

Once you've been playing for awhile you'll start to figure out if you even like the game and a Silver account was more than full featured enough for that purpose, for me. The things you are missing out on by not having a Gold account are generally too complicated or far off in need for a newb to appreciate anyway. (Hideaouts, FreeForm, for example).

There is a learning curve to the game and during that curve you may find you don't even like it. Having said that.. Give it time to let the game grow on you, I thought it was too arcady/cartoony in the beginning but am right at home now. Your mileage will probly vary  : )
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 03:30:57 PM »
Personally I like the game. The graphics take a bit of getting used to and there's an art to freeform builds that takes a while to pick up, but it's not an inherently bad game. All it needs is a general balance pass and some more content, really.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 03:46:08 PM »
There is also a moderately helpful thread (you don't have to read all 25-odd pages) for us. :)

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=168521
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."