Author Topic: So I started watching "Ultimate Spider-Man" on Netflix...  (Read 9059 times)

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
So I started watching "Ultimate Spider-Man" on Netflix...
« on: June 07, 2013, 05:37:46 PM »
And I'm actually (greatly) enjoying it. At first I thought it was going to be another stupid team-up show like The Brave and the Bold. I'm glad I was wrong. It's not real terribly "kiddie"; I don't think kids would be a quick to catch some of the humor and comic/pop-culture related easter eggs. Anyway, great show, and thankfully it's been renewed for a new season. :)

Carry on.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: So I started watching "Ultimate Spider-Man" on Netflix...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 05:55:58 PM »
That's the one that came after Spectacular Spider-Mole with Spider-Man working for SHIELD along with "Nova" and a few others?  I don't utterly loathe it like I did its predecessor, but I don't find it particularly watchable either.  It's trying to simultaneously be Teen Titans and Spider-man and his Amazing Friends but it fails to make me really like the characters.  And the mock-chibi segments seem really out of place. 
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 10:50:40 PM »
That's the one that came after Spectacular Spider-Mole with Spider-Man working for SHIELD along with "Nova" and a few others?  I don't utterly loathe it like I did its predecessor, but I don't find it particularly watchable either.  It's trying to simultaneously be Teen Titans and Spider-man and his Amazing Friends but it fails to make me really like the characters.  And the mock-chibi segments seem really out of place.

I liked it well enough. Honestly, I think most comics aren't really written with kids in mind anymore, so animation is probably the only place they are going to get to develop an interest in the characters.

Arnabas

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 01:00:26 PM »

Whaaaaat?

Ultimate may be junk, but Spectacular was surprisingly good. Did a good job of modernizing it while still hitting the main points of Spidey's history. I was rather disappointed when it was cancelled.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »
I was so distracted by the mole that I couldn't tell you if there were other reasons I hated the series for.  I admit it's an odd and frivolous thing, but it made my eye twitch every time I saw it.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Premmy

• Underling
Seriously Spec is the very best spider-man anything ever.
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 12:53:09 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh2Nu2aTPP0

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Seriously Spec is the very best spider-man anything ever.
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 01:26:52 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh2Nu2aTPP0

I'm not crazy, Cheeks is.  He thinks he's Peter Parker, and thus that Peter Parker has a mole.  They should lock him up before he hurts someone.  ;)

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 06:10:10 AM »
I liked it well enough. Honestly, I think most comics aren't really written with kids in mind anymore, so animation is probably the only place they are going to get to develop an interest in the characters.

They certainly aren't priced for kids anymore, or most normal adults, either for that matter.  And I get the feeling they're written for an audience that gets smaller in number each year... but all that really matters is the marketing, not the source material.

fdbryant3

• Minion
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 12:52:46 AM »
I sorta like it, and probably would like it more if it wasn't the replacement for Spectacular Spider-man.  I do find it bit more kiddish than what I care for.  Batman: The Brave and the Bold is better in my opinion for it references to the Silver Age.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 06:11:07 AM »
I finished the one season they have on Netflix a couple weeks back, and ultimately (heheh) I enjoyed it. I've moved on to Transformers Prime, which like USM, I thought was stupid the first time I saw it. Since then, it's grown on me quite a bit; more so than the last Transformers series I seriously watched (one of the Unicron Trilogy series - Armada probably).

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 04:52:57 PM »
While I don't like USM for the most part, I watched and enjoyed S2E15;  "Ultimate Deadpool" ;D
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.