Author Topic: Alan Wake - Steam Sale 90% off (From $29.99 down to $3) WEEKEND ONLY  (Read 2034 times)

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
Alan Wake - Steam Sale 90% off (From $29.99 down to $3) WEEKEND ONLY
http://store.steampowered.com/app/108710/

Also:
Collector's Edition $34.99 $3.50
Alan Wake franchise $39.99 $4 includes Alan Wake, Alan Wake Collector's Edition Extras, Alan Wake's American Nightmare

Reward yourself after sending a letter behind Team Wildcard's Google/CoH pitch, with what IGN gave 9/10 and called "a great job of mixing elements of written work, television, and video games to create an experience full of scares, laughs, and thrills that's just as fun to play as it is to watch."

In other news, I never thought this would happen to me on a regular basis: salivating over video games, only to realize that I already own them.

Steam, you so crazy!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 07:12:50 AM by Captain Electric »

damienray

• Lieutenant
Re: Alan Wake - Steam Sale 90% off (From $29.99 down to $3) WEEKEND ONLY
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 02:27:15 PM »
Ok I read the descript, watched the trailer .. what exactly is Alan Wake? I get frustrated when games lack details like what you'll be doing. Do you have powers? weapons? Not trying to be negative, just looking for more details. Thanks :)

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 06:03:55 PM »
Steam does have some good sales; I took advantage of the Crusader Kings 2 one the other day.

While I haven't played it, it's my understanding that Alan Wake's concept is he's a guy in a haunted forest being chased by ghosts and has to fend them off via a flashlight (with limited battery power).

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 06:08:49 PM »
Steam does have some good sales; I took advantage of the Crusader Kings 2 one the other day.

While I haven't played it, it's my understanding that Alan Wake's concept is he's a guy in a haunted forest being chased by ghosts and has to fend them off via a flashlight (with limited battery power).

So like Slender.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 07:54:37 PM »
Maybe a Slender with substance? I don't know if that fits. Obviously, with Slender, you know what you're getting, which really nullifies the comparison to begin with (otherwise we wouldn't be having to clear this up). According to the reviews at least, Alan Wake's plot isn't a gratuitous stinker.

Wake is basically a Stephen King-inspired game, but imagine if Neil Gaiman had given the script a once-over after watching too much Hitchcock.

And I hate to sound like some kind of literary snob--I'm not, though I do love to read--but for anyone who was already on that page (look a pun), I think the trailer is going to be an instant clue-in. My best advice is that if you've got to ask what you're getting yourself into, enter at your own peril because there might be a pile of genre conventions that won't click with you; although if you enjoyed the attention to story in The Secret World, go ahead and get this one too.

It's a psychological horror thriller in the classic sense. (I've noticed "psychological thriller" in the video game medium has often just meant a lot of cheap thrills--the same thing you'd call gory horror in movies or books.)

(TSW might have a lot of the latter, but it does have a lot of the former too, which is why I made the comparison.)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 08:04:48 PM by Captain Electric »

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 05:29:46 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up. Grabbed it. Dunno when I'll get around to playing it, but at least I have it.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 07:32:39 PM »
So, I played through this in the past few days and was pleasantly-surprised.

I remember being excited about the game when it was still in development. But then later I remember lots of people complaining that the project went in the wrong direction. I loved it though. It's been quite a while since I played a game that felt this immersive. Some of the stuff genuinely freaked me out, and the characters were wonderful. It had a marvelous 'Twin Peaks' feel.

Interestingly too, I thought there would be more "adventure game" elements and less shooting, but that didn't bother me at all. I've never been particularly attracted to zombie survival games (yeah, I know they weren't technically zombies), but this had so much depth that it didn't feel like one most of the time.

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 07:43:03 PM »
I just saw this 1-day sale on Steam and figured I'd share since the game in question is one of the best strategy games I've ever played (recycling this thread since I don't feel like starting a new one); Rome: Total War Gold (the base game and its Barbarian expansion) is having a 90% off sale today, going from $10 to $1.

It features huge battles and a nifty campaign over world that spans Europe and the Mediterranean and contains senate shenanigans. In the base game, play as one of three Roman factions and conquer civilizations such as Carthage, Gauls, Egypt, Thrace, Greece, Macedon, etc. (And the game can be modded to play as one of aforementioned civs); will you save and expand the Republic of Rome or claim the title of Caesar? In the Barbarian expansion the Roman empire has split into East and West while the Hun horde is on the move; play as east or west rome, the huns, or one of several emerging kingdoms (such as Saxony or the Franks).